Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

96 XP Engine Rebuild and Carb Rebuild problems

So I just got my engine back from being rebuilt. I decided to go ahead and rebuild the carbs also. I put the engine in today and it doesn't seem like there is any gas getting to the carbs or the spark plug holes(It won't start). I was very careful in rebuilding the carbs but obviously, I screwed something up and am not sure how to troubleshoot to figure out what is wrong. The only thing I can figure is the spring under the flap that covers the needle and seat was a little longer than the one that came out. Would this cause the issue I am having or something else? It is possible I could have crossed the fuel lines maybe? I don't think I did though...hmmmmm.
    Last edited by Case1; 09-17-2017 at 05:40 PM.

PWCToday Regular

Re: 96 XP Engine Rebuild and Carb Rebuild problems

I find after a rebuild its much easier to get the engine started the first time by using a small amount of starter fluid. The gas needs to work its way through the lines and getting the engine started with external fuel works well. Make sure you actually have spark first.

It appears you did not check your pop-off pressure which needs to be done as the spring you used is probably incorrect.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Hishman View Post
    I find after a rebuild its much easier to get the engine started the first time by using a small amount of starter fluid. The gas needs to work its way through the lines and getting the engine started with external fuel works well. Make sure you actually have spark first.

It appears you did not check your pop-off pressure which needs to be done as the spring you used is probably incorrect.
    I will definitely do those things. You are correct, I didn't do the pop off test which I will. The kit I got had a longer and stiffer arm spring than the one that came out and a different color which I am now learning makes a huge difference. Should I reuse the old arm spring or can I get new ones by themselves? Thanks, Hishman!
    Last edited by Case1; 09-18-2017 at 01:37 AM.

I always use the old carb springs unless one is visibly damaged.

Pressure testing and priming the system after doing gas work is the best path. That way you know you didn't create a gas leak during your work. You can also test gas flow and proper functioning of the system. A bicycle pump with barb fitting works well for this endeavor. I have spelled this out in several other posts but you can do it by pressurizing the gas system at the return line and following a sequence by testing with infeed gas line feeding into a bottle and then hooking to carb and putting short gas line on return fitting and putting this into a bottle.

By doing this your pressurize the system to verify no leaks and can also verify proper fuel flow though carbs and out the return orifices/etc.
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

Pressure testing and priming the system after doing gas work is the best path. That way you know you didn't create a gas leak during your work. You can also test gas flow and proper functioning of the system. A bicycle pump with barb fitting works well for this endeavor. I have spelled this out in several other posts but you can do it by pressurizing the gas system at the return line and following a sequence by testing with infeed gas line feeding into a bottle and then hooking to carb and putting short gas line on return fitting and putting this into a bottle.

By doing this your pressurize the system to verify no leaks and can also verify proper fuel flow though carbs and out the return orifices/etc.
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by hafweigthr View Post

Thanks for the help! I put old the old springs back in and it started. Would y'all happen to know what the correct setting, to start with, for the idler control needle is?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Set both low speed needles at 1.5 turns out and just crack the highs open a wee bit.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

I finally got to put it in the water just a minute ago. Out of the water, it seemed to run just fine although when it is in the water under a load it just bogs down. I couldn't get it past idle and it would die easy. I only turned the low out 1 turn but will change it to 1 1/2 turns. I did just turn the highs out a wee bit.

Another thing I noticed after pulling it out of the water is it took on a ton of water and all I was doing is just sitting on it while it was idling.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

You need to find the leak & fix it.

I would check the carbon seal on the driveshaft.

PWCToday Newbie

How can you tell if the CS is bad? I also need to check the water lines to make sure they didn't fall down in the rebuild

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information