User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Primer Fuel Lines

At the suggestion of others here, I rerouted the fuel lines for the primer on the 550sx and on the x2 650mL. The inlet for the primer on both skis was previously installed via a "T" fitting installed in the fuel inlet line to the carburetor. The primer outlet was and remains installed on the carburetor to tank return line via a "T" fitting.

But the concern was that the primer was introducing air into the carburetor. In fact, since I use fuel-line.com translucent fuel line I could see 1/4" of air bubble following every 1/2" of fuel flowing to the carb.

I re-installed both ski's primer inlet lines to a dedicated port in the tank. If you delete your fuel selector switch (which had been done on both skis -- and which also has the potential for introducing air into the fuel inlet line) then you will have an extra port to do just this.

On the x2 650 I put some 1/4" Fast Flow Fuel line on the in-tank portion of the extra port and stuck a filter on the end of it.

On the 550sx I hooked the primer inlet line onto the shorter main tank fuel pick up and, as a result, the primer will not work once the fuel tank level drops below the shorter main tank fuel pick up. (But guess what, I don't need to use the primer as much now that there is less air in the fuel line!)

Attachment 530582

Attachment 530583
    Last edited by E350; 09-17-2017 at 03:05 PM.
    Learning Slowly...

Re: Primer Fuel Lines

Hmmm can't seem to open your attachment. Says 'Invalid attachment'. Not quite sure what you mean without it mate!

Quote Originally Posted by E350 View Post
    At the suggestion of others here, I rerouted the fuel lines for the primer on the 550sx and on the x2 650mL. The inlet for the primer on both skis was previously installed via a "T" fitting installed in the fuel inlet line to the carburetor. The primer outlet was and remains installed on the carburetor to tank return line via a "T" fitting.

But the concern was that the primer was introducing air into the carburetor. In fact, since I use fuel-line.com translucent fuel line I could see 1/4" of air bubble following every 1/2" of fuel flowing to the carb.

I re-installed both ski's primer inlet lines to a dedicated port in the tank. If you delete your fuel selector switch (which had been done on both skis -- and which also has the potential for introducing air into the fuel inlet line) then you will have an extra port to do just this.

On the x2 650 I put some 1/4" Fast Flow Fuel line on the in-tank portion of the extra port and stuck a filter on the end of it.

On the 550sx I hooked the primer inlet line onto the shorter main tank fuel pick up and, as a result, the primer will not work once the fuel tank level drops below the shorter main tank fuel pick up. (But guess what, I don't need to use the primer as much now that there is less air in the fuel line!)

Attachment 530582

Attachment 530583
    Can't you just put the primer bulb inline instead of a 'T'?

If I understand correctly, I did put it inline (see the pictures) on its own tank port.

But regardless of inline or "T" fitting, the primer plunger itself is a piston, which can leak over time, no? Thereby introducing air regardless of fitting, no?
    Learning Slowly...

Hmmm... I reduced the file size on these photos, hopefully they will show.

DSC03623- lq.jpg
    DSC03608- lq.jpg
    Last edited by E350; 09-17-2017 at 05:01 PM.
    Learning Slowly...

Another hmmm! Damned if I can even see the primer! Do you have a diagram maybe?
    Your mod sounds very appealing but I would like to know what I'm doing first! lol
    At least I can see these pics now though! lol
    Thanks for sharing this mate.

alaski: I will post up some pictures of the actual primers after I mix gas and we go out to ski to test the x2 650.

BUT three things:

1. This thread was about my rerouting of the primer lines to make them dedicated so as to not be a source of air intrusion into the carb fuel inlet line.

2. I am advocating the deletion of the fuel selector switch to eliminate that source of air intrusion (I would like other more experienced peoples' opinion on this). That is, if you ski close to your launch site and you have a buddy with you to tow you back home if you run out of fuel.

3. I am NOT necessarily advocating the replacement of a primer instead of a choke. If your ski starts consistently with a choke then keep the choke. I like chokes. If you change altitude with your ski (sometimes ski in the mountains, other times at the beach) a choke is a manual air/fuel adjuster in my newbie opinion. So keep it.

But if your ski does not start consistently and you don't want to be floating in the middle of the river where the wake boaters and 70 mph couch riders are blasting by or God forbid in the impact zone at the beach, a primer might be a good mod for you.

More to come. And hopefully not just from me. I come here to learn. The only reason I post is so that other more knowledgeable and experienced people can help me learn. And I try to give back a little by posting the little I have learned from others.
    Last edited by E350; 09-17-2017 at 06:29 PM.
    Learning Slowly...

alaski: Here's the actual primer plungers:

DSC03637- lq.jpgDSC03646- lq.jpgDSC03627-lq- lq.jpgDSC03636- lq.jpg

Anyone else have any suggestions or pros and cons for or against removing choke or fuel selector switch? Or adding a primer in place of choke?
    Last edited by E350; 09-18-2017 at 08:29 AM.
    Learning Slowly...

Last edited by E350; 09-18-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    Learning Slowly...

BTW, this thread was not originally meant to be a "Choke vs Primer" thread or a "How to Install a Primer" thread. Rather, it was meant to show how I deleted the "T" fitting and installed the primers on their own dedicated fuel tank ports so as to not introduce air into the carburetor inlet fuel line.

However, there are a couple of things that should be pointed out if you do decide to install a primer in place of a choke:

1. It can be one of the most tense things you will ever do working on your ski. Assuming that you don't remove the carburetor from the intake manifold, you risk the possibility of dropping one of those two tiny choke butterfly screws down into the intake manifold, which on a piston port engine and maybe even on a reed engine may mean having to take the engine out and shake it upside down to get the screw out of the crank case. So keep the throttle butterfly closed and cover up any way for the screws to fall past it into the intake manifold. I don't remember if the screws are ferrous metal or not but if they are, a magnetic screwdriver would help. Keep calm and keep long tweezers near by.

2. If you are willing to remove your carburetor and have access to a drill press and some good measuring calipers and can find the exact size drill bit to correctly drill a hole for the brass primer inlet port or if you have access to a good general machine shop that will do it for you, you may consider adding the primer to the carburetor and not removing but leaving the entire choke system in place. I may reinstall the choke and do just this, and move put the primer plunger to the place of the now disconnected fuel tank selector switch.

I really would like others with more knowledge and experience to comment on this stuff. I mean our '88 X2 650 is 29 years old! I just started this whole jet skiing thing in 2015 and didn't ski once in 2016. So I have one year experience. But there must be those out there with at least 29 years experience!
    Last edited by E350; 09-18-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    Learning Slowly...

Thread Information