User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: What could be the causes of these symptoms?

FOUND IT!

Bill M. wmazz You are magic!!!

Who knew that with skiing everything migrates back to the bilge?!?!

(O.K. likely everybody but me, but at this point it still seems like magic to me.)

So now that I have the X2's gasket in hand, I am looking for a fuel tank tap cap gasket for the 550sx.

The replacement fuel fill gas caps that we have been using DO have gaskets, so we are good there, but I still will inspect for water by this weekend.
    Last edited by E350; 09-18-2017 at 11:05 PM.
    Learning Slowly...

Quote Originally Posted by E350 View Post
    Benflynn: I know I have to pull the engines to do crank seals, but do I have to split the crankcase?

I have no doubt we have been having fun on borrowed time...

I have downloaded the Owner's Manual for the '88 X2 650, but I don't have the Service Manual. My guess is that I should do crank seals on the 550sx too.

And when my wife restarted her jet skiing adventure with me as her sidekick in 2015, we seized the rear piston on my wife's old '76 js440 superstock (which was actually converted from a js300). I know I may have to split the case on that one. But I don't want piston seizures on these other skis.

So any links to a Service Manual or threads or other suggestions for replacing crank seals on these Kawasaki engines?

Any guidance on sourcing and replacing crank seals would be greatly appreciated.
    u do sp,it the case, u can do it w/o pulling cyl, just flip it, pull the bottom case, tap and delete the crankcase drain with a couple stainless bolts. U will have to pull flywheel and stator while u are in there so add a couple degrees timing when u reinstall. It's a slippery slope cause a hone, some rings and gaskets and ur through the whole thing. Maybe pistons if they are beat too

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Benflynn View Post
    It's a slippery slope cause a hone, some rings and gaskets and ur through the whole thing.

Maybe pistons if they are beat too
    ++1
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

Blog Entries

135psi, it is possible your compression tester is giving you inaccurate readings that are 30 to 40psi
    lower than normal.

It is time and money that is well spent and pay dividends in the future, but don't waste time and
    money with aftermarket parts. Buy OEM Kawasaki.

Bill M.

Quote Originally Posted by E350 View Post
    I just did a compression test. Spot on: 160psi - 160psi (both cylinders)

Spinning the engine with the starter reveals no bangy-bangy noises, rather it spins smooth as silk.
    Bill M.: Although any gauge can be inaccurate, it is a Snap-On compression gauge and showed 160 psi in both cylinders.

But I this is without anything being blocked off and both spark plugs out during the compression test.

P.S. I lost my fuel tank gasket it was in my pocket when I pulled my wallet out. So now my wallet is lighter and my gasket is missing again... I will buy OEM Kawasaki parts.
    Last edited by E350; 09-19-2017 at 05:24 PM.
    Learning Slowly...

Blog Entries

I thought I read 135psi, But it still sounds just a little low unless you are ~1000' to 1500'
    or the weather is still hot.

It is common for people to say they have 165psi pwctoday, but you can not accurately
    compare compression from one area to another.

For example during the summer a compression test 20 to 30 miles from the beach would
    be near 175psi, and 30 miles inland it would measure 165 to 168.

Keep in mind, that engine isn't a car engine, and ideas that there is an acceptable range is
    false. Unless air temp, altitude (air density) is the cause. A seized piston (in a jet ski engine)
    can still create normal compression, and if it was 5psi low, it is low for a reason.

Bill M.

It is also common on 650 rings to have rust damage facing the exhaust port. The rings will
    have a shiny sliver on the top and bottom of the rings, but the rings will be dull (where it is not
    touching) in the center of the ring.

Often we can't change our budgets, but we are just trying to help you spend a little more time
    and money to get a good baseline to build on.
    Last edited by wmazz; 09-19-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Correction
    For example during the summer a compression test 20 to 30 miles from the beach would
    be near 175psi, and 30 miles inland it would measure 165 to 168.
    For example during the summer a compression test 20 to 30 miles from the beach Kawasaki's
    would be near 175psi, and +60 miles inland (from the beach) it would measure 168 to 165.

About 10 psi lower on all skis, while working in further inland.

BM.
    Last edited by wmazz; 09-19-2017 at 10:16 PM.

wmazz: Bill M. elevation is 13 feet in our Delta town. Temperature was in the 80's F. when I did the compression test on the X2 650 coming up with 160 psi in both cylinders.

Intuitively it makes sense to do an engine "vacuum" test rather than or in addition to a pressure "leak down" test.

How do I make an engine vacuum tester? I have adapters for the spark plug holes already. I bought some 1/16" neoprene sheet yesterday to block off the intake and exhaust manifolds.

I have a vacuum gauge already. So do I use a brake vacuum bleeder to a ball valve to the vacuum gauge to the spark plug hole? Any body got any pictures of an engine vacuum tester?
    Last edited by E350; 09-20-2017 at 01:56 PM.
    Learning Slowly...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information