Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Couple issues with the ski today... 89 JS550

Hoping I can get some direction with a couple issues I had today. 89 JS550, SBN44, BCW Intake, West Coast exhaust manifold, Coffman's exhaust.

First, there were 3 instances where I carved hard left hand turns and the motor just died instantly. Not a bog, just instantly died. Mounted back up and it would start right back up. My guess is that it has something to do with the water box (exhaust feeds into left side). Maybe too much water being dumped in there? The bypass is the stock 1/4"... Perhaps throw an aftermarket 3/8 to dry out the box a bit? Any other ideas? Carb related?

Second issue was hard starting after the ski sat for more than a few minutes. It felt and sounded rich every time I finally got it running and I had to feather the throttle quite a bit to clean it out. The most obvious issue is there is pressure build up in the tank. Yup, the check valve works and I have zero leaks throughout the entire fuel system... Which means I often hear a rush of escaping air every time I remove the gas cap. I'm assuming that fuel is pushing past the needle and flooding the motor. So, how necessary is that check valve? Especially since the line vents up through the pole? I may remove it just to see how it affects the flooding issue.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: Couple issues with the ski today... 89 JS550

Well, the more I thought it about it over the rest of the weekend, I am thinking the first issue is purely electrical. Maybe the start/stop switch or the spark plug caps (both fairly worn and loose-fitting)... Or perhaps even the stator. I am going to go ahead and tackle all 3 and see where it goes.

As far as the second issue, I don't know yet. Pop off is 21 PSI, brand new needle and seat. I already bumped it up from 18 PSI to give me a good idle with no fuel leakage/rich condition when running. I don't really want to remove the fuel tank check valve, but I'll probably just try it without it for a day and see where that goes. My understanding is that these machines don't require any sort of pressurization in the tank, correct me if I'm wrong!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMX70 View Post
    My understanding is that these machines don't require any sort of pressurization in the tank, correct me if I'm wrong!
    You are correct. How would you be able to start it immediately after filling up with fuel otherwise? Any ski that requires a pressurized tank to start/run has a problem with fuel delivery.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440
    1989 650sx
    1991 X2
    1992 750sx
    1995 900zxi (qty 2)
    1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

PWCToday Newbie

Had a chance to dig into the ski a bit more this weekend. Electrical seems all be good. Connections solid, ohm tested and passed. I did replace the spark plug caps though. I'm thinking that perhaps my larger size (220 lbs) combined with me being too easy with the throttle caused the 3 stalls. Also, from some additional reading it seems that left handers are the hardest on the motor (puts the most strain on it due to the forces being opposite of rotation). I think I need some more testing in the water to really find out if there is an issue. I'm still new and just need to hammer some more turns to figure out if there is an actual issue.

In other news... Found a broken motor mount and that the coupler is slightly out of alignment... That explains the increase in vibration I experienced on my last ride (something I did not mention previously). Ordered 4 new mounts and a shim pack to get the alignment right.

I'll also be performing a leak down test and pulling the motor for bottom end inspection and seal replacement if needed.

PWCToday Regular

Is it possible you bumped into the stop button on those left handers? I've done that a bunch of times. You push that button and it dies. You don't have to hold it to kill the engine like on a dirt bike.

Thread Information