Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar

Wish List for a Four Stroke Superjet

Rumors are out there. What would you like to see on a four stroke Superjet? Assuming they'll be using TR1 engines and existing pump/ driveline like Kawasaki did. Here's some stuff I came up with:

Advance the hull design by the same margin from 07-08. Mask weight and then some. Should feel 100lbs lighter. Carve amazingly, bars to the water at top speed. Be able to wake jump, yes itís important, as itís a playful Yamaha. No weird handling quirks at the limit like some are reporting on the sxrf.

Weight proportionally the same as two stroke sxr and sj. New SJ must be significantly lighter from the big sxrf. Kommander can do TR1 skis less than 400lbs. Figure 400-450 lbs. Feel like a 1100 sxr, which is a fairly common ski weight and size wise many have grown accustomed to.

Width no more than 4Ē wider than current SJ. Many of us have trailers or other stuff that limits the width we can comfortably allow. I have a narrow dual stand up trailer and my brother has a three place converted sit down double. Both canít fit a new sxr. If people can easily haul the ski, theyíll be more likely to buy the ski. Length, ideally be within a foot of the current SJ length (hopefully shorter) for similar reasons.

Have it look unbelievably cool. I think this is one area Kawasaki vastly underestimated. SXRF shape in person is ok at best (IMHO), looks weird from some angles and ok from others. The decal design looks very close to sxrs from 2009 or so (OLD). The new SJ should look like a mean and aggressive 2008-17 sxr taken to the 11. And as a personal preference, bring the Yamaha blue back! Blue, pearl blue, gloss white or black bottom, with matte black decals or contrasting finishes would look bang up to date. If it looks like it could kill a sxrf in a fight or make kids scream in excitement, they will sell a dozen for every sxrf sold. Make people want to buy it!

Handling, speed and power. Similar to the last SJ, amazing handling, low end for tricks, and being fun to ride is way more important than all out speed. I would prefer a ski I can utilize more of the potential of more of the time. To be fair, although fast, the new sxrf seems to have this covered pretty well. Most SJ owners would appreciate an overall smaller, lighter package and would be ok with outright speed reduced accordingly. However this should be balanced with the desire to be able to take on racing a stock sxrf around buoys. Should racing ability take precedence over overall fun? I think the 2008+ SJ has a good balance and was pretty competitive with the original sxr, but the bar was lower then. A smaller, lighter package may not be as quick around buoys as a sxr, and that might be a compromise worth making.

Stability. This is difficult, as itís a marketing decision probably, but most here would say to not make it stable enough that you can stand on it while itís not moving. Most would say thatís a sit down hull. I mean most guys canít balance on a Sea Doo HX when the engine is off. Still let there be some learning curve. Let there be something to master. Just like with the older skis, although they take time to learn how to ride, there is massive satisfaction with mastering something difficult. Once you learn it, and get in the groove, itís an amazing feeling. If I could add a manual transmission and a clutch to a stand up, I would!!

Price, get within $500+/- of a sxrf and most will be happy.

Basically, Yamaha should do exactly what they did to the sxr when they came out with the 2008 SJ. It made you wonder why you needed a big heavy ski when the SJ handled even better and was more fun. Requiring skill to ride and looking way cooler would then seal the deal and then some.

What do you guys think? I have two 09s currently and would definitely consider a four stroke if they met my must haves. I'm excited for the Yamaha option now that I've seen Kawasaki's take.
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake [45.6mph gps]
    1987 WJ650:
    6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, cheater pipe [42.4mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
    1998 SXI PRO:
    3DR hull mods [TBD]

Re: Wish List for a Four Stroke Superjet

Looks like it won't be in 2018.
    21741139_1727249283974968_3215691966848436993_o.jpg

Definitely not. Rumors are 2019 or 2020. Again just rumors, one is from someone whom I trust.
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100
    2009 SJ MINT:
    1987 WJ650:
    1998 SXI PRO:
    3DR hull mods [TBD]

Top Dog
    Blog Entries

Hopefully they go for the free ride market instead of chasing Kawasaki.

-Keep the engine the same
    -Rocker the front
    -Stronger pole and mount
    -Surf strap
    -electric bilge
    -Foot holds / surf straps
    -Mag pump
    -Drop a few pounds

Or best case they keep the current SJ AND release a 4-stroke SJ-R or something..
    Last edited by Quinc; 09-14-2017 at 01:10 PM.
    triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home AC 46's Avatar

Yamaha racing colors.yellow and black or white and red.
    R.I.P. Super Sic

No release agent / peeling paint on the hoods.
    Leave an open spot in the graphics for registration numbers, it sucks to have to put numbers over the graphics.
    16 XFS
    11 FZS
    08 SuperJet
    08 SXR 1100

PWCToday Regular

4 strokes are the cancer killing personal watercraft.
    90 Superjet, 98 Polaris Pro 785, 95/92 Kawasaki 750 sxi, 01 Polaris 600 sc xp

I see where you're coming from, bigger and more complicated skis does not sound pleasant at all. But legislation in our country is progressively killing two stroke jet skis. So from that perspective four stroke stand ups are it's salvation. And I, by no means, am a fanboy. If the new SJ, if there even is a new SJ, isn't exactly what I'm looking for, I'll stick with my two 09s. I'm thankful my primary riding areas have no restriction at all. The day we really have to worry about is not just when the sale of new two strokes is banned, or on certain lakes, but when two strokes of any kind are not permitted, new or used. I really hope that day never comes.

On another note, if you talk to shops like Kommander, most of what they currently do is 4 strokes. Although I personally still prefer the big triples, having the top race ski companies running them is at the least interesting. Shows the way forward for high dollar race skis, most likely driven by restrictions out west and the power they can make from this increased complexity. I mean turbo kits cost more than an entire 1100 sxr.

The real cancer was the increased focus on sit downs thru the 90s, and their continued growth and complexity. Got the majority of the people on that band wagon, and then progressively killed them off, limiting the vast % of jet skis to a very certain demographic. By comparison having another oem offer this 4s technology for "cheap" on a mass produced stand up would be an amazing boost for our sport. It's making them more accessible. The Spark was another good example of some well needed life injected into jet skis.

All that said I will continue enjoying my two strokes and don't see that changing ever.
    Last edited by theVetteman3; 09-18-2017 at 08:24 AM.
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100
    2009 SJ MINT:
    1987 WJ650:
    1998 SXI PRO:
    3DR hull mods [TBD]

A smaller, much smaller, way smaller, did I mention smaller 4stroke. I see a 2cyl yz engine minus trans, could do 100hp easy enough of the pump could handle the rpm. It can be done of they spent the brain power to engineer it, not something I think they are fond of doing with their pwc, prob cause of low prod numbers

What I would like is to bring the 96-07 hull back, with a 4stroke that is the same size and weight as the 2stroke but with many more horsepowers. I want to be able to tell everyone I have a plethora of HP.
    '90 Superjet: ported 760, dual 44's, B pipe, ADA head 190psi, TDR waterbox, hooker 10-16, sponsons. Girlfriends ride
    '94 Suuuperjet: 718cc, pro tec pipe, Groupk head 175psi w/protec girdle, protec ride plate, MSD coil, UMI grate, Roundnose pole -4", rev footholds, sweet green turf and wrap.
    '95 Raider 701: Fiberglass not SMC, Hydrotrailer hitch, ugly purple and yellow everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information