Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

96 Seadoo SPI Strange Starting issue

Was trying to check for water in engine in a 96 spi yesterday and it had issues turning over - would make a buzzing sound when starter button pushed the first 2-3 times, then a clunk, then would turn over. Purchased the SPI a few months back and previous owner had a leak and it took on water(which he said he flushed from engine) so was just double checking with the plugs out. Repeated the starting sequence a bunch of times, pausing in between, and it followed the same pattern of buzzing a few times, then a clunk, then turning over fine. Today went to attempt to start it and starting button does nothing when pressed.

Battery is at 12.5 volts. No buzzing sound at all or anything. Only difference today was I moved the fuel selector from off to fuel tank, and drained all the old fuel from the tank bofore attempting to start. Turned fuel selector back to off as well to see if that made a difference but it didn't.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 96 Seadoo SPI Strange Starting issue

I would suggest checking the starter solenoid and starter, depending on what area the clunk seems to be coming from. You could also have a blown fuse now if the solenoid has finally given up. That could explain no response from the start/stop button.

Your engine could very well be locked up. See if you can spin it over by hand.
    ultra 150 lake travis texas

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by texinga View Post
    I would suggest checking the starter solenoid and starter, depending on what area the clunk seems to be coming from. You could also have a blown fuse now if the solenoid has finally given up. That could explain no response from the start/stop button.
    Fuse is in MPEM right? Button was also a bit flakey in the past so will double check as well. Is solenoid under magneto cover and is the cover easily removed?

Quote Originally Posted by jakber View Post
    Your engine could very well be locked up. See if you can spin it over by hand.
    PTO turns smoothly.
    Last edited by Seadoo Tuner; 09-14-2017 at 03:35 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Easy fix, was one of the 2 fuses in the MPEM, the 5 amp one. Still taking four presses of the starter button though, with a buzz, buzz, clunk, and then on 4th try engine turns smoothly over. Maybe a starter tooth issue?

PWCToday Newbie

Does it sound like the buzz/clunk is coming from the starter, low in the hull, or from the black box that your spark plug wires come out of?

A buzzing sound is usually created by a solenoid or relay not pulling in correctly when energized. Water could get in the starter relay or it could wear and not pull in correctly.
    I would pull the starter solenoid from the back box of the ski and bench test and then replace or just replace.
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by texinga View Post
    Does it sound like the buzz/clunk is coming from the starter, low in the hull, or from the black box that your spark plug wires come out of?
    Not from the black box but from the magneto covered area on front of engine.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by hafweigthr View Post
    A buzzing sound is usually created by a solenoid or relay not pulling in correctly when energized. Water could get in the starter relay or it could wear and not pull in correctly.
    I would pull the starter solenoid from the back box of the ski and bench test and then replace or just replace.
    How do you bench test the solenoid? This ski did take on water with the previous owner late last year but the MPEM box was dry when I checked it.

Thread Information