» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: '88 X2 650cc - Idle Drops at WOT

This is my carburetor (Is it a Mikuni BN 44mm?) and flame arrestor:

Attachment 530431

DSC03577- lq.jpg

This is my carburetor and flame arrestor (is it a Mikuni BN 44mm?)

DSC03561- lq.jpg

There is a "T" on the fuel inlet line to which the primer is currently connected. But on the X2 there is an unused port on the tank lid which I can attach the primer line to and extend the in-tank tube.
    DSC03570- lq.jpg

I followed the fuel return line and there is nothing there but line. No restrictor, main jet or otherwise.

Note: Orange line is mine. Green line is original.
    Last edited by E350; 09-13-2017 at 12:51 AM.

For this evening's ride, I removed the flame arrestor and the ski did NOT drop rpm at WOT !!!

But it does slightly surge at WOT (and I think it does it at all rpms).

After riding for about 45 minutes I reinstalled flame arrestor and went back out for another hour, and the ski did NOT drop rpm at WOT !!!

Figures ! This problem has been reliable and consistent. NOT intermittent. So, I have absolutely no idea why it did not drop rpm at WOT this evening, unless it was that I was skiing with a 1/3 tank rather than a full tank of fuel.

I want to change one thing at a time so I think I will remove the "T" for the primer and run the primer inlet direct from the tank (on both the X2 and the 550sx).

Any additional suggestions are appreciated.
    Last edited by E350; 09-13-2017 at 12:48 AM.

BTW the title of this thread should be "RPM Drops at WOT"

Glad to hear it runs better. You have a SBN 44. That's the good one. No restrictor needed in the line. It's built in to that carb. The only thing I see wrong is the primer should be on the return line. And check your in tank pick up, It looks like a metal Westcoast one. It may or may not reach the bottom. I bought an old race X2 with one, and it ended about 2 1/2 or so inches above the bottom of the tank. I put a stock in tank filter on it and then it reached the bottom like it should. I did have a buddy who had problems when he tried to run the stock in tank filter and an external filter like you have. Having two filters seemed to restrict the flow enough to affect his top end power. That K&N may not be a marine one. If it is it should say USCG approved and K&N Marine on it. Mine need lots of oil to function properly. It says so in the instructions too. Again though, at 15 years in storage those crank seals are seriously in question. Especially if they did not use oem Kawasaki seals during the build. The kits from SBT last about a year. Oem seals, much longer but 15 years is a lot to ask. I would be pretty worried if it was my ski. Leaking crank seals will cause an air leak which could lean out your air fuel ratio and smoke your engine. Nobody wants that.
    87 X2 650, Bad Bones head and reeds. Mariner ex manifold, Coffmans stainless steel pipe, Mariner waterbox, Jetinetics flywheel, Dales Bad attitude ign, Westcoast intake, SBN44, K&N flame arrestor, TRD throttle wheel, Bullettproof stem, Renthal bars, KVPI finger throttle, Mariner deep intake grate. Dual cooling. billet coupler set, Scat Trak 8-16, Blueprinted and extrude honed pump. PJS rip turn. 1.5 chop.

Flame arrestor is "Marine Approved" for racing. It says K&N part number JIS1928 on top:

59-2042RK.jpg

K&N 59-2042RK Marine Flame Arrestor - Race Specific, Black, Marine Products.pdf

No cotton gauze.

I have not rerouted the primer line yet.
    Last edited by E350; 09-13-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Re: '88 X2 650cc - RPM Drops at WOT

Installed an ebay waterproof TachHour gauge and before it got water in it and the display started screwing up, the highest rpm the ski would go was 6,120, then it would immediately drop rpm. If I kept the rpm below the maximum by not fully squeezing the throttle, I could keep it nearer to 6,000 rpm but squeeze it all the way to WOT and rpm immediately drops.

It's a 1988 X2, is it hitting a rpm limiter?
    Learning Slowly...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information