Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Waveblaster 1 with Turbocharged Spark Engine

I guess over thinking is a form of procrastination. Mine is going to be stock 90 hp in a Boston Whaler jet boat currently powered by a 701. It's easier to sneak up on crabs idling around with a net and a four stroke. I'll go through fewer plugs too.

PWCToday Regular swlamarshrunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Navhazard View Post
    I guess over thinking is a form of procrastination. Mine is going to be stock 90 hp in a Boston Whaler jet boat currently powered by a 701. It's easier to sneak up on crabs idling around with a net and a four stroke. I'll go through fewer plugs too.
    Nice. If you want a tip, get a seadoo xpl driveshaft... It has the same pto splines as the spark. Instead of pressing/pinning two shafts together like I did my adapter, you can just cut the xpl driveshaft down to have a few inches more than the pto splined end and then thread the cut end for a (I think sxr) Ada coupler. Can't use Yamaha because the shaft diameter is too narrow where you thread. But basically would end up with a 1pc adapter and only have to cut/thread the xpl shaft.

Thanks, I'll try it. What intake side by side model did you use? I was going for the snowmobile one but it makes everything too wide.

Canam maverick Intake mani. The stock one is only a hair wider but the way the blaster is shaped in the middle is why I had to swap over. I'd probably stick with the stock spark mani

Update:

Theres a couple days worth of misc work to be done and then just do final assembly/alignment - maybe get a custom driveshaft made once I pull measurements. Main holdup has been my Motec ECU. The guy I got it from sold it to me saying it was "fully unlocked with all optional extras". Well that has not been the case. #1 the motec harness he sold me has shorts in it and does not even work. I had to send everything off to a Motec dealer to go through everything. Just spent another $550 to get a brand new harness so that's on its way. 2nd, the ECU does not have all optional extras - it has the basic logging package which is all I need but still... its the principle. AND to top it off, the ECU was not even "unlocked". The firmware could not even be updated and could not load any other maps into it because you needed a password just to get into the ecu which the guy had no idea what the password was. Took some time to get the clearing license from Motec to wipe the ecu and start fresh. The turbo spark map has been uploaded to it/injectors set. So now I will be waiting for the new harness to come in. If I can get some time in the near future I will start with final assembly and the misc brackets needed.

Ok so the main holdup was 3 other race skis I had to finish building before last weekend and I am done with that..... for the most part. Racing the last couple weekends has re-motivated me to jump back on this. One thing that has been bothering me is the driveline adapter I made..... I do think it would work but it is not the best setup. I am going a few steps back here but if it works how I want, the setup will be MUCH better in the end.

I am modding the crank where it will have a threaded end for the ADA coupler to thread on to.... get rid of the adapter altogether. If you didn't know already, the spark PTO for 14/15 cranks press off. I will have a new piece made to press on in its place and instead of having female splines in the PTO, it will have male threads. After doing some checks, I will still be able to use the stock PTO cover.

So, one more thing.... you know that when you do custom stuff like this, you may brainstorm a bit more after you have "plan A". Well all the pics and explanations in this post WERE plan A until later last night. I may end up doing a couple things different but I am not sure it is possible until I get with my machinist friend. Basically would end up with same setup, would just be an easier path to get there. Anyway, checkout the pics of the old plan A.

Things layed out on the table – spark crank with PTO pressed off, old Yamaha to seadoo adapter inside of ADA HD coupler, Yamaha 701 crank end
    20180424_184102 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr

This is the spark PTO sitting on the end of the crank
    20180424_184508 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr

Spark PTO removed from crank
    20180424_184516 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr

Yamaha 701 crank end that I cut off…. Was experimenting to see if there would be enough meat to bore for the pressed fit – would not have enough wall left when done and also would not be long enough.
    20180424_184533 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr

This is what it should resemble when done. The coupler will be threaded directly onto crankshaft.
    20180424_184658 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr

This spot I am pointing at will be the location of the shoulder that the threads stop on with the custom PTO piece I am having made.
    20180424_190317 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr

The plan is to make the custom PTO piece a bit longer where all threads of the coupler will be filled.
    20180424_190507 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr

This is my old adapter plugged in to the crank – you can see where the old stop for the coupler was compared to where I plan for it to be.
    20180424_191203 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr

Ok guys, this might be a long post because I have a few big changes to update you on and have some new pics and vids also.

Stock Hull Update
    I pulled the turbo setup out of this stock hull and have decided to make it a naturally aspirated setup. The more I think about it, the more I want to do a few things differently with the turbo placement, driveline setup and use a aftermarket mod hull for a turbo build which is leaps and bounds better than a stock hull in every aspect. The stock hull was used more as a guinea pig to see what would work and what I'd like to do different. I will finish this ski with the stock 90 tune, see where my rpm is at and then will flash ecu to 110 and then hone in on rpm.
    Things left to do on this ski:

• Mod exhaust manifold
    • Build custom waterbox
    • Install piping/hose from waterbox to thru hull
    • Install fittings, cooling lines and heat exchanger
    • Notch hull for intake mani
    • Order & install Worx throttle & start/stop to work with 7/8 bars

I will likely attach top deck temporarily for initial water test. If all goes good I will then glue the hull back together permanently. I am hoping to have ski ready for initial water test within the next 1-2 weeks. While it won’t be race worthy, I think it will be a fun play ski and am expecting 52-54mph once impeller is right on.

New mod hull
    The other big news is that I have bought a very rare aftermarket mod hull that has not been touched since it came out of the mold. Top and bottom weighs 100lbs, pump tunnel is moved back, has a lengthened intake area and a couple other improvements to the bottom deck over a stock b1 hull. I have a 1piece wamilton hood/seat combo on the way to go with this hull and have been told that only weighs 30lbs. This hull will be the one to get the spark turbo but will have a much different turbo setup than what I built for this stock hull. I found a way to minimize turbo piping while having better turbo placement. Also have a few tricks planned for driveline that should be able to handle every bit of power this thing can put out for a holeshot . The mod hull is still in Pennsylvania but I will post some pics I have of it. Btw, when I get this hull in, I will be starting a new thread and only continuing with the stock hull build on this thread. I’m only posting the mod hull in here to give you guys an update on what's coming

Pics of stock hull & mod hull to follow:

1 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr
    2 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr
    3 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr
    4 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr
    4a by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr
    5 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr
    6 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr
    7 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr

Mod Hull Pics

Got the controls installed through hood. Modded exhaust mani and routed to thru hull. Had a waterbox cut and fit but the welder I had lined up wanted way too much to lay a few beads so I'll get a waterbox on it later once I see everything works good. Almost ready for watertest but still need to secure topdeck to hull and install a couple of clamps and hoses. Been so long since I had the topdeck on, it's starting to look like a blaster again

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Scottie Mac's Avatar

I can’t wait to see what numbers the NA one produces!

SM
    Those who have done the least in the sport are always the ones with the most to say.

Best career accomplishment: Fatherhood

Proud Member of TEAM TFP!

Support those who support the sport!!!
    JAM Racing
    Judge Motorsports
    www.hotproductsusa.com
    www.optimaracing.com
    www.nynjapwc.com
    Judge Motorsports
    www.raddudesfi.com
    ProWatercraftracing.com
    www.ipdjetskigraphics.com
    ADA Racing
    Monster Motorsports
    A&R Performance

Mmm........ a pizza sounds good right about now!

I'm not trying to continue on with this same thread because the stock hull blaster build is over with. I did not give up but just made it alot better. The lightweight mod hull is awesome.... super light and it was bagged/infused so its super strong. Bottom is very different from a stock hull. Redesigned alot of things on the inside also..... driveline, turbo setup, motor mount plates etc. Also got a wamilton hood/seat combo to run on it. I didn't do any work on it over the summer since my free time was spent racing but I've got alot done the last few weeks. BTW, that is just the initial layer of epoxy on the motor mount plates. Still a bit of work to do in that area - I know it looks like a mess right now.

If you want to follow along with the NEW and improved build, follow @BuiltNotBoughtRacing on Instagram. It is easiest for me to post there since I don't have to host pictures, copy links, etc.

20181008_212813 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr

20180502_185556 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr

7 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr

20181004_191852 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr

42982612_663736000693193_4269850602130898944_n - Copy by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information