Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Re: Death at 4K... pop off or jetting?

Again no offense Bill but I don't agree with much that you said there. Yamaha 1100s carbs are pretty much set up like mod for the 65u. I believe after talking with Bill when he was doing this mod Nova change their fuel pressure settings to a higher recommendation. Also, you do not need special reverse jetting on Nova's. They will work just fine with standard jetting. The only reason they recommend and install reverse jetting is because it does create a faster throttle response and more power out of the hole not because it's the only way they will work. For racing I would run reverse jetting but for normal everyday rec riding I do not prefer it. I've seen quite a few 65u's with a hole in the top of the piston and I believe a unbalanced rack contributes to this. I can't explain how carburetor works like an engineer but I can tell you that the balance mod made my 65u run like it should, most all others that have done the mod agree as well. I can idle through a no wake zone a mile long without loading up and have throddle response when Im ready to take off. Something that it wouldn't do before the mod, for very long anyway. There is a crossover on each side top and bottom or back side of the intake that needs to be filled as well when doing this mod. I guarantee if this engine would have been in production long enough it would have been a factory correction. Having the carbs balanced and working together equally, it just sounds like the right thing to me.

Also you can see Novi does drill out returns as well. This is a old pic, they used to call for a 60 jet but updated that.

attachment-2.jpeg

Also one thing I forgot to mention is that I did add a second pickup that I run tees between each carburetor PTO and mag to supply enough fuel to the carburetors. I really felt like that was a big Improvement when I did that I started off with one line going into all three cards and felt like it wasn't enough. It was an improvement when I added the second fuel pickup in the tank.

Here's how Bill prefers to set up the return jet he likes to keep it in the nipple that way the mod stays with the cab rack.20151210_213325-1.jpg20151211_015712-1.jpg

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Often there is more than one way to successfully achieve the same goal, using different methods.

Bill M.

I can idle through a no wake zone a mile long without loading up and have throttle response when Im ready to take off.
    Something that it wouldn't do before the mod, for very long anyway.
    Isn't that what you what we all expect from a stock or even a mod ski?

If you use the idle drop test as I explained in my blog, you either get an idle that doesn't
    load up, or you gain information and a direction to fix an engine that is loading up, hard
    starting, or a has a hesitation.

If your pilot circuit is rich, it is likely that you lost peak rpm.
    Last edited by wmazz; 09-13-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

One other note, if you have targon fuel line get rid of it and put the stock Yamaha fuel lines back on.
    I have not seen any fuel line as good as Yamaha's, its all I will ever run, ever! If you have to use it, use hose clamps not Zip Ties.

PWCToday Newbie

And to verify, you re-build the carb according the the 38 instructions, correct? My service manual shows the 38 assembly diagram, yet they're 44's. Why is this?
    Mikuni_sbn_rebuild-kita.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jhawker23 View Post
    And to verify, you re-build the carb according the the 38 instructions, correct? My service manual shows the 38 assembly diagram, yet they're 44's. Why is this?
    Mikuni_sbn_rebuild-kita.jpg
    Because they're exactly the same carburetor, the only difference is the throat size.

Oh yeah, the 38's had three bolt flame arrestor mount and the 44s have for bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by wmazz View Post
    Often there is more than one way to successfully achieve the same goal, using different methods.
    Bill M.
    Isn't that what you what we all expect from a stock or even a mod ski?

If you use the idle drop test as I explained in my blog, you either get an idle that doesn't
    load up, or you gain information and a direction to fix an engine that is loading up, hard
    starting, or a has a hesitation.

If your pilot circuit is rich, it is likely that you lost peak rpm.
    Bill, I agrees with things you say a lot of times but not in this thread. Yes, if we are recreational riding we do want to boat that will idle for a mile and take off without hesitation. On a closed course it's another story, you'll be in last place with that setup. I'm sorry, I just don't get or understand your drop test, I'v read it. It does kinda sound like the Rev test that I do out of water to verify if the engines lean. One can work down from rich conditions and be ok, but not lean. My mind is not geared towards squeezing every last inch of torque out of an engine. Its more towards having a nice smooth good all-around running engine. Again, I agree it's more than one way to "verify", but there is only one true best setup.

drift

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information