Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

96 Kawasaki 750 ZXI Ignition

Little back story, bought some jetskis for cheap, mainly wanting the trailer to haul two of my other newer skis. 1 750 SS, that needed a new starter solenoid, but runs. 1 750 ZXI, that runs as well.

After checking out the ZXi, noticed the P/O had removed the ignition switch, and that none of the gauges worked.) Including trim. Found the 2 out of the 4 wires spliced together tucked under neath (2 reds).

First Question is, it looks like the ignition controled power to the gauges, so it being removed would be the first issue with them not working correct?

Second, can I buy a universal 4 wire ignition switch and wire this back up? It looks like the original ignition with the key is around 50 used. I can get a uni for 10. Heard these keys were a PITA.

Thanks.

I dream skis

Re: 96 Kawasaki 750 ZXI Ignition

The original orange key switch had 2 independent circuits. One was to kill the ignition in the 'off' position, and it closed a stop circuit that is basically in parallel with the red stop PB. It also supplied 12 vdc power to the Trim Module. Then 12v went via a separate wire out of the Trim module to feed the dash lights and most everything else. If the PO jumpered across the orange switch, then the battery would drain during storage. So he must have disconnected other circuits from the 12 v supply circuits elsewhere (Likely at the Trim Module?). A standard automotive ignition switch would work for simple 12v on/off purposes. It would not have the NC stop contacts, but you could ignore that and just use the handlebar Stop PB. Some marine type keyed ignition switches might have the stop contacts as was common on old 2-stroke outboards. To restore the dash function you need to reverse modify whatever else the PO did. Get a schematic and do some further research on your present wiring mods.
    OLDGUY sez..... "The older I get, the better I was !

I'd definitely get the right ignition. If you find one without matching keys, as long as there's a key, it's super simple to make it work.

PWCToday Newbie

Update*

Universal ignition switch was able to cut power as it should have, no key no start, key on I was able to start. However, still no power to the gauges. So more questions:

Does everyone's gauges only turn on when the ski is running or do they turn on right when the switch is turned on?

Where is the trim level control unit located? I'm either blind or this may be why I'm having issues as during my quick once over, I couldn't find this part. Im not seeing any butchered wires other than the wires that were originally connected to the ignition switch.

Thanks for the help!

I dream skis

The ZXI electrics are different than most other 750's. Be careful when buying used parts for these skis. The ZXI750 trim system was changed every year....'95, '96, 97 were all different. Use the Kawasaki.com website for parts diagrams... some 3rd party suppliers do not have these differences properly noted. I don't remember all the details by year. The Trim box will have either 3 screws, or 6 screws holding the lid on (triangle shaped box with the trim motor in it.) Some of these versions had the electronic control module internal to this box, but some had a small black potted module buried in the wiring harness external to the motor box. All of them routed 12 vdc thru the controller module before it fed the gauges, etc. The gauges should come on with the ignition switch (hence you could drain the battery while in storage or between runs if you didn't turn it off). The indicator lites for oil and temp came on for a few seconds at first as a verification that the lites worked, then went off. They would activate again when running if needed to warn the rider. ( In daylite hours, the riders never notice these small amber lites until it is too late anyway ). Try to find a proper schematic but its not easy to find a model specific diagram... generic diagrams are helpful, but may not disclose every detail correctly.
    OLDGUY sez..... "The older I get, the better I was !

Thread Information