Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kawasaki 650SX vs newer stand-up skis

So... I have a 650SX (the one in my bio picture). It's my baby and I love it - my wife doesn't understand the bond!! I'm still trying to master riding it, getting better each time I ride it. My question is this... Are the newer Yamaha and Kawasaki stand-up skis any easier to ride? Balancing on my 650 is like walking a tightrope until I get moving. Just wondering if anything has improved with the newer models. - Jim
    '87 Kawasaki 650SX
    '01 Waverunner XLT 1200
    '03 Waverunner XLT 800

PWCToday Newbie

Re: Kawasaki 650SX vs newer stand-up skis

In theory with development the easy answer is yes, your ski is 20 years old, engines have improved, technology also. but who cares if you love your 650sx.

Amen! The thing beats the crap out of me each time I ride it but I guess it's tough love!!
    '87 Kawasaki 650SX
    '01 Waverunner XLT 1200
    '03 Waverunner XLT 800

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Well there are only models to discuss really the Superjet and the SXR, the SXR is like riding a three man compared to a 650 SX , is a much bigger heavier ski, the Superjet would be more comparable, I personally never liked the way the Superjet handled, it turns very flat and it will not rail like a 650SX will, that is just my opinion, I will say I have have never built a Superjet and set it up to fit my riding style though.

I do have a square nose here I plan to build this winter and check out, if I like it I may keep it , if not it goes up for sale along with all the other sales boats.
    Get your Fat Dudes T-shirts right here PM me for details !

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

In my book less stable = more fun. I'd prefer the JS550 over nearly anything but it's simply a nightmare in choppy water.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440
    1989 650sx
    1991 X2
    1992 750sx
    1995 900zxi (qty 2)
    1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

I've only been doing standups a couple years. And have only been on 550s & a 650. But all of them have been like $1000 or $1200 skis. Comparing them to a $8000 or $10000 ski just isn't fair. Yea, I'm sure they are more reliable, maybe even more stable in bad conditions. But my 23 yr old 550SX has been a lot of fun. I do plan on upgrading, but it'll be to a ski that is maybe a few steps up, like a late 90s 750 or a Superjet.
    -
    Bill

Current ride is an almost stock 94 550SX
    My JS550 build
    . - SOLD

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rushford_Ripper's Avatar

It's all preference in the sense of what you like to ride, how you ride, where you ride. I loved my squarenose and regret selling it, didn't care much for my roundnose, absolutely love my sxr that I ride a lot. We ride a lot of big water with good surf and rollers, smaller lakes however, vintage fun is where its at!!!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home PrickofMisery's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rushford_Ripper View Post
    where its at!!!

Try to step in every tray you can con your way in , let them ride yours while you ride theirs , then you can compare , I like ridin them all , the two skis at the idaho house are 04 SXR stock boat , and 94 SN superjet limited , both are fun , girlfriend likes SN better , I like em both , 650 kawis need a lot of work to be fun , especially on the handling end

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

the 650 SX in an acquired taste , i dont mind a stock one ,but i love my built ski,enjoy what you ride , the SJ IMO is too easy to ride , after a 5 min ride i get bored and want a challange, SXR ? what can i say except "what a boat in stock form" although a well set up surf ski can be fun , riding a SXR with an 1100 with a good set up is also a nice change to the ordinary,
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information