Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Outcast

I dream skis

Project Outcast

I have been waiting to start this thread for some time. A significant amount of time was spent gathering parts. But here goes. Enjoy the journey. Project Outcast started before the paint dried on my surf machine thread. In a never ending search for power, a idea took shape. The idea that you can make big power in a surf ski on a budget. So in the ski I bought a 98 GSXL in pieces. I spent a couple months building the 951 it came with into a fire-breathing monster of a motor. Then put it back into the Gsxl for break in and tuning. Everything used in the entire build short of the impeller pistons and crank will be used (Outcast) parts. This is definitely a build and not a assembly.
    Last edited by Hydro-Mike; 09-05-2017 at 02:04 PM.

I dream skis

Re: Project Outcast

Outline of the build,
    SEADOO 951 and drive chain into a SN SJ.

The motor:
    SEADOO 951 bored to 1017
    Wossner pistons
    OEM crank rebuilt
    Ada head
    97.5 White pipe or Coffman xp
    Miller 10mm Reed spacers
    Cut down OEM intakes
    Rinaldi reeds
    OEM carbs with accelerator pumps removed
    Custom FA
    Lightened PTO coupler

The Hull
    1990 Yamaha SN SJ

Building a new pump tunnel and larger pump intake in a simple (repeatable) manner. So others can follow the same path to insane power town. I will be making it picture heavy to that end. The Nose will be rockered at some point just not sure when. I am one of those guys that likes the look of the stock SN. Pictures of progress so far up tonight.

Sub'd!

Wow Mike you're taking on quite the task with this build. I'm excited to see the progress. I grew up with a 98 XP limited with the 951, they definitely make awesome power.

I'm one of those guys that doesn't like the look of the SNSJ, but if its got a 951 in it ill look passed lol.

The plan is to use the seadoo pump?
    -Bulldog Freestyle 550/750 - http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=457962
    -92 550sx/650 conversion
    -94 750sx modded
    -86 X2 - Twin carb 750 swap

I dream skis

Thanks StillStanding, big project. Its going to go a little slower than the build last year. I want to make sure I document well. This is the motor just after rebuild.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hydro-Mike; 09-05-2017 at 10:35 PM.

I dream skis

Bought a hull about a week ago and have started the resuscitation process. We have the technology to make it better faster and stronger than it was.KIMG0061.JPGKIMG0064.JPG Got it home and it weighted in just shy of 200 lbs empty.

I dream skis

So started stripping the hull down. Cut the tray and the hacked footholds. Defoamed and cleaned it up.KIMG0066.JPGKIMG0073.JPGKIMG0075.JPG Note the cut lines
    Last edited by Hydro-Mike; 09-05-2017 at 11:11 PM.

I dream skis

So I want to use the driveline out of a Seadoo, this included the 155mm pump, driveshaft and through hull bearing. And to take full advantage the intake to the pump has to be enlarged. So I came up with the plan of enlarging the existing tunnel/intake so that will be lined up perfectly. If you take your calipers out and measure the transition area between the pump tunnel and intake you will see that *** measures 155mm, So the plan is to feather it out with body filler forward of the transition are thereby enlarging the intake. As for the pump tunnel I took some measurements and found that if I wrap the tunnel in 1 and 5/32 decking it would be the size I needed. Then added body filler to smooth out all the transition areas, ( lots of sanding).Pictures to come.

I dream skis

Some of my tools and supplies I recommend. You can see that the boards on toe are flush with the old tray section. To get that right some material has to be removed from the underside of the boards, a draw knife worked great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hydro-Mike; 09-05-2017 at 11:45 PM.

I dream skis

Realize that once all the glass is layed inside the original pump tunnel and intake will be removed from the outside. Before any glass was layed the tunnel and intake had 5 heavy coats of wax put on them. In the picture below you can see that the everything was glassed including a one inch margin around everything that will be removed. With each subsequent layer of glass the margin will get bigger with the entire bottom eventually being covered. As to the removal a series of holes where drilled through the hull as reference marks to guide the cutting out process.
    Last edited by Hydro-Mike; 09-06-2017 at 01:23 AM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rushford_Ripper's Avatar

I love how you have a "injured" ski in the back of what looks like an ambulance lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information