Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

1997 sea doo 717 engine stops

I have a 1997 speedster with dual 717 rotax motors. one engine runs fine the other has a tough time starting, I do get it going after a long time it runs for a while and then dies out and went start again for a long time. it runs for about 20 mins before cutting out. I had it running almost wide open and thenthe engine cut out. I lost spark on this engine recently and replaced the coil and then it started to have this problem. before fixing the coil the plugs always looked fouled and now with the new coil it is firing normal with a nice looking plug. not sure what is going on I am figuring somekind of short somewhere but my electrical skill is low.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home bills86e's Avatar

Re: 1997 sea doo 717 engine stops

More likely than not, this could be a fuel issue, carb issue, fuel routeing issue, or even a mechanical, so read your specific manual, or have the pro's diagnose it.
    If the RV oil line(s) got brittle/broke the engine seized up, then released after it cooled. Do a compression test, both should be around 150 PSI - equally within 3-5.
    The front carb (mag) sucks gas, then pushs it thru carbs and returnes un-used back into tank bafel (routing).

PWCToday Newbie

thanks for the reply, yeah that carb is not getting any fuel. I trace it back to the fuel filter and no fuel is coming out of the filter. I replaced the fuel diaphragm and still no fuel is being drawn out of the filter. I am trying to look into the fuel shut off valve to see if that went bad now. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home bills86e's Avatar

try this: remove the gas supply & return lines from carb, then use a 3-5lb of compressed air into the return. Put supply into a bottle to catch, watch the gas tank expansion so you do not over pressurize that. The routing consists of bafel-fuel selector-water/debis filter. gas should come out supply, look for leaks any where in these.
    1. engine push/pull pulse hose to mag carb, and the carb itself. This operates its fuel pump. The Mag Carb sucks gas from bafel and then pushes it thru carb(s), and the unused gas goes back into the bafel. Operate the fuel pet**** positions to determine if the fuel pet**** valve is culpret.
    2. bafel vent line, splits to two, each then has a one way valve in them so the bafel vent single line can breath in or out pressure or vaacum that exceeds 3-5lbs. could be clogged or broke.
    3. consult your specific ski shop manual , fuel system.

Bills86e
    Last edited by bills86e; 09-09-2017 at 12:07 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

ok, i will get this done this weekend. at this point i know when i blow into the return line i hear the gurgling in the fuel tank but no fuel comes out of the supply line. what is the fuel PET***?

thanks again
    Dudley speedster

PWCToday Newbie

i pressurized the outlet for several minutes and no fuel came out of the supply line.

PWCToday Newbie

also there are two motors in this boat and the other one runs great starts right up. so do you think the baffle is bad for one engine?

Thread Information