Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

2004 XP di whining

Hi everyone,
    Just rebuild this 2004 XP di from the ground up. Rebuilt the engine with new crank and top end. The ski only had 91 hours on it so I did not change out the counter balance shaft or seals. That may have been my fetal error. I did also rebuild the the pump with new bearings and shaft.

After breaking in the engine and running through two full tanks of fuel I let the kids loose with it. after several hours of full throttle runs I started to hear what sounds like a blower whine. It started out very faint but before I could get them back to the dock it was getting pretty loud. Engine is still running well.

My suspicion is maybe I had a seal failure on the counter balance shaft and the oil was all blown out under the full throttle runs. Being they are straight cut gears, I would think they would make that sound.

Before I pulled the engine I thought I would throw this out to everyone to see if they experience the same issue. It is hard to tell if it is coming from the engine or the pump. I am hopping it is the pump being the engine is running so well but my hunch is it's not. My next step is going to try and get out the oil breather fitting and look at the gear with my bore scope. If I can't get a good look, I am going to try and get the drive shaft disconnected to be able to run the engine with out the pump spinning. Not sure if that is possible with the pump in-place.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I dream skis

Re: 2004 XP di whining

Tend to agree about the whine & the circumstances leading to it. Plug removal is possible, but not easy. In my 2001, there is a ledge below the plug and the gear cavity is offset.

You might consider an oil injection syringe to push a little heavy oil into the cavity while on the trailer running to see if the whine changes.

If the bearings checked good on the CB shaft then no reason to believe it is the issue. I have rebuild many motors without doing the CB shaft as long as the seals and bearings check good. On 787s if they check bad the seals and bearings are not hard to replace if you have access to a press. Just need to verify the gear timing on the case. You could check areas while running with a stethoscope while running to pinpoint the issue.
    Last edited by hafweigthr; 09-06-2017 at 11:27 PM.
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

PWCToday Newbie

Found the issue,
    I puller the jet pump out and it had water in it. The seal was torn. Not sure why this did not show up when I did a pressure test after the rebuild. Just glad I don't have to tear into the motor. This is an easy cheap fix.
    Many on this site don't like the DI motors but after having a carburated GTX and now restoring this 2004 XP. this DI starts instantly and the throttle response is amassing. I did buy a Candoo just in case I have issues down the road.

I dream skis

Nice to hear it was something simple! Be sure to grease the seal lips well upon assembly so there is no friction and possible tearing/burning.

Thread Information