Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastgtfairlane's Avatar

blue 550 gets heart transplant

my ported out 550 reed engine in my blue ski lost compression on the front cylinder last fall and i happened to come across a mostly complete 94 750ssxi for 150 bucks. supposedly ran when put up. had a dead battery when i went to pick it up so i figured for 150 bucks for a mostly complete 750 minus the pump couldnt go wrong. got it home, put a battery in it and it turned over but had low compression in the front cylinder. pulled it apart to find out what was wrong and found a hole in one of the pistons. cylinder walls looked fine so new pistons and honing the cylinders along with a full gasket kit as well as wrist pin bearings was in order. the e box had all broken plastic fittings so i ordered all new ones. picked up a Rhaas conversion plate for the engine. since this one has 2 engine settings depending on the coupler you run. i had the stock 750 coupler and havent seen anyone else try that setting. it uses the stock 650/750 engine coupler which sets the engine back about 3/4 to 1 inch.

also running the stock 750 electronics with the stock ssxi ebox. mounting it was interesting but i found a cheap, clean way to mount it. i did have to sacrifice cutting the hood liner to clear the ebox with the stock js550 driveline. ended up getting some 3/4, 1/8 thick aluminum square tubing to space the ebox closer to the engine so it would clear the lip for the hood seal. then cut up the stock stainless ebox mount so i could drill holes and use countersunk bolts to bolt it to the stock 550 ebox mount. worked out well. even was able to use the stock 750 start stop connector and tie in the power for the bilge into the ebox to keep the wiring clean and for ease of removal. mounting the ebox to look clean AND make it serviceable (because what kawi doesnt need wrenching right? haha) with the engine set back an inch.

found a deal on a westcoast 650 pipe which i thought was stock length but after recieving it only has 7 total rings. it fits well with my OCJS oversize tank. its too short in my opinion and kills bottom end on this combo. looking to extend it out sometime soon.

for the pump im running a js550 pump that has been fully blueprinted, 69.5mm outlet nozzle with op turn nozzle. impeller is a skat pitched at 18/22. i realize everyone swears by the straight pitch for the 550 pumps but im happy so far with this pitch. no cavitation infact it feels under pitched on the bottom end. also tried between the stock pump cone and jrd stubby and so far i like the stubby better, just lets the engine rev onto the pipe quicker. im sure itll need to be repitched after the pipe is lengthend.

for now im running the stock 3 jet keihins. been talking to vetteman about tuning after reading his threads he seems pretty knowledgeable. ended up having to rebuild the carbs as well as they were junked up some and worn out. for flame arrestors its stock dual carb that has had the rubber grommets removed from the side. ive had a very hard time getting this engine running with these carbs. had 32psi popoff stock and it ran like crap. after talking to newmiller and lowering the popoff to 21 it runs much better. the ski wouldnt even really plane out and wouldnt rev out at all. current settings are 78 lows, 50 mids, 132 highs with 1.5 turns out on low screw and 3/4 out on high. gonna try 80s and 135s and see how it does.

i waited to do a build thread until the ski was running so it didnt go super long, its still a work in progress. decided to honestly put this together and get the engine running until my next project hull is done. ive tried to do it as budget minded as possible. total cost for everything including the engine and rebuilding it has been estimated 6-800 bucks. im kinda shocked how cheap it has been. because of the setback engine i also had to get a smaller battery and purchased the rhaas battery adapter to make it fit. i can get the battery out with out removing the carbs. let me know your thoughts thanks for looking. the history on the hull can be found in prior build threads.

pardon the paint job, its 4 years old now and the ski had been rode hard and put up wet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fastgtfairlane; 09-01-2017 at 12:43 AM.
    91 440; PJS Viper 7000, jetsport exhaust mani, factory full pipe, coffman waterbox,solas 17*, jetco worked 440 pump, ocean pro nozzles. shredmaster ocean rideplate and grate combo, wide tray, footholds, deep strake mod, driveshaft fill,650sx quick turn

build thread part 1: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=331343
    build thread part 2: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=364872
    build thread part 3: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=396154

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar

Re: blue 550 gets heart transplant

Looking good man. That engine looks super clean just based on the condition of the head. So easily those turn nasty it seems.

I'm interested to see where your jetting ends up. Like we've been saying, we've got about 6 different skis/ set ups on the 78/50/132 jetting. But we haven't used that pitch impeller nor that pipe. Very few if any run the stock air box too. So this will be another good data point.

I'm sure it probably is under pitched on the bottom. It's revving more and needing more fuel. The stubby cone would make that worse, but it'll be good to check to see how it feels with it. Really interesting you prefer having it.

Good work so far. Get a GPS run in at some point if you're able to and we can really start to gauge where this thing is at. Oh and that's another thing. This has the stock CDI from that engine? If so the rev limit is 7200-7400. The highest I hit with that CDI and a 20 pitch was right at 50. With the 22 I'd be interested to see what this pulls on that CDI.
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller ported 800, SXR Mikunis, 650 PJS pipe, Rhaas 750 pump conv. w/ 11/17 Hooker [56.3mph gps]
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, bars, Worx 228 intake[45.6mph gps]
    2009 SJ:
    rebuild in process
    1987 WJ650: 6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, 650sx cheater pipe[42.4mph gps]

1998 SXI PRO:
    800 Superstock, 3DR hull mods[TBD mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 820cc, SS porting, Novi 48mm, VForce 3, Advent, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl
    [53.7mph gps]

Quote Originally Posted by theVetteman3 View Post
    Looking good man. That engine looks super clean just based on the condition of the head. So easily those turn nasty it seems.

I'm interested to see where your jetting ends up. Like we've been saying, we've got about 6 different skis/ set ups on the 78/50/132 jetting. But we haven't used that pitch impeller nor that pipe. Very few if any run the stock air box too. So this will be another good data point.

I'm sure it probably is under pitched on the bottom. It's revving more and needing more fuel. The stubby cone would make that worse, but it'll be good to check to see how it feels with it. Really interesting you prefer having it.

Good work so far. Get a GPS run in at some point if you're able to and we can really start to gauge where this thing is at. Oh and that's another thing. This has the stock CDI from that engine? If so the rev limit is 7200-7400. The highest I hit with that CDI and a 20 pitch was right at 50. With the 22 I'd be interested to see what this pulls on that CDI.
    i took some purple power to the head when i put it together and it came realllly clean. it didnt look near that good when i bought it. yeah i figured i would try something a little different regarding impeller pitch and pipe. i already had the impeller and had it repitched. i wanted straight 20 but newmiller said it wasnt possible so 18/22 is where it ended up haha. im gonna leave the impeller alone for now. the pipe was just a pwctoday find. im gonna try to find a way to lengthen the pipe and see if the bottom end improves. right now the 18/22 feels over pitched on the bottom but the engine seems to have no problem pulling it once the ski is moving. possible more fuel down low will help this too gonna find out this weekend with another water test. in this situation the stubby pump cone make it better down low and didnt really notice any loss in top speed either going off seat of pants feel. but only a gps would verify that. i dont have one so id have to find a way to make my phone work which has a speed gps app. it definitely feels faster than my old setup on the same hull. id also like to get a tach to see what rpms its turning. you can see how short the pipe is in the pics.

i do find it odd that my ski needs more fuel than all of the other conversion skis youve built with these keihin carbs. im not sure if our location has a lot to do with it as you're in illinois and im in north carolina but i reckon it could.

another thing worth noting is the water routing setup. this ski has 2 3/8 cooling lines. my old setup had a parallel cooling setup meaning one line fed the engine and one fed the pipe. my old setup had a factory b pipe with a tunable headpipe which is why i ran a parallel routing so i could better tune the head pipe. with the westcoast pipe that is not adjustable, the pipe runs pretty cool. this helps with bottom end however rpm and top end power is loss with a cooler pipe. i did put a restrictor in at the water which seemed to help acceleration a little. gonna play with this a little and see some power can be found as well.
    Last edited by fastgtfairlane; 09-01-2017 at 09:22 AM.
    91 440; PJS Viper 7000, jetsport exhaust mani, factory full pipe, coffman waterbox,solas 17*, jetco worked 440 pump, ocean pro nozzles. shredmaster ocean rideplate and grate combo, wide tray, footholds, deep strake mod, driveshaft fill,650sx quick turn

i rejetted the carbs to 80low, 50mid, 135main from 78,50,132, and screws 1.5 turns low and 3/4 high and feels really good. no more hesitation in fact throttle response feels pretty crisp. it was pretty choppy today and had a hard time keeping the pump hooked up. gonna try the stock pump cone again and see if it helps. its better than it was but still a little sluggish on the bottom end. im pretty sure its due to the short pipe. looking for an uncut westcoast or similar stinger if anyone has one. cant seem to locate any aluminum
    4 3/4 aluminum pipe to weld an extention on. everything ive seen goes from 4 1/2 to 5 inch od.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home tjmonsen5's Avatar

I think the problem isn't the prop, just the fact that it is a 550 pump. It will never have the thrust of a 140mm pump.
    If You're Not Running PJS Parts, You're Chasing Someone Who Is.

I dont think its in the pump either but more so in the pipe being pretty short is affecting the bottom end. it looks to have been cut down which i was told it was uncut but couldnt tell from pictures. looking for a place to find 4 3/4 OD aluminum pipe what i can weld on. everyplace ive seen online has 4 1/2 and 5 inch OD pipe but nothing in 4 3/4. And not staying hooked up in the chop is due to the fact that i have an open grate instead of a toploader. I have a shredmaster surf rideplate which has an intake grate molded together. its a one piece. I agree it wont ever have the thrust of the 140mm pump obviously and i dont expect it to. i just think i can get it better that what it currently is.

I think I'm pulling about as much power through my 550 pump as possible, a 650 motor with flywheel, coffmans pipe, sbn44, flow control valves, jet dynamics top loader, skat 19, ocean pro nozzle, etc. it just doesn't pull you out of the water from idle like an sxr can. Even pulling full throttle a revving high, it just wants to tail stand instead launch out of the water. It could also be my fat *** at 240 pounds now.

its strange, my ported reed engine had more bottom end than my 750 engine in the same ski with same basic pump setup just different pitch. from midrange on though, this 750 would pull away from my reed setup i believe.

Wow that's interesting. I've always wondered what a reed 550 felt like. Sounds like it has good bottom end thump. Don't get me wrong, my setup has WAY more thump than a stock piston port 550, those feel so soft, slow, and STOCK! I think I would like to drop the coin on a 650 pump kit this winter and really transform the ski.

I would check your flow control valve to make sure its opening, I bet it isnt since its T'd with the pisser. The only way I could get mine to open was to have a dedicated line running to it, otherwise there was never enough pressure. Just something to check so you dont burn up a exhaust hose.
    -95 750SXI
    -86 440 undergoing PJS800 conversion
    -90 TS650

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information