Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

1998 GTX RFI stalls at IDLE when COLD

1998 RFI will not idle when it is cold. RPMs slowly drop until it stalls. You can tell the computer is trying to keep the rpm up as it starts surging a little as it is dropping until it stalls. I have to hold throttle up over 2000 for a few minutes until it is warm and then it idles fine. Also runs very well at all other rpm and wot is 6900. I cleaned the RAVE valves, put in new plugs and I tested the temperature sensor and it is within spec. The previous owner only had his dealer touch it so I am assuming TPS and throttle stops are correct but there is no way of knowimg without the BUDDS. Idles arpund 1500 in water when warm. I did read her on this forum that the screens should be changed in the fuel pump which I will do next, but not sure that would just affect cold idle. Any ideas would be welcome. I can live with it but who would want to. I am sure there is something I am missing here. Thx. Mark

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: 1998 GTX RFI stalls at IDLE when COLD

Has proper fuel pressure been verified? Have the fuel filter and strainer in the tank been replaced? How about sonic cleaning and flow testing the injectors?
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Not yet, i have a fuel pressure tester so i will check. Thanks

PWCToday Newbie

Update. I pulled the injectors and did a little DIY cleaning. Used carb cleaner and a C cell battery to open the injector. I also changed the 2 fuel filters on the fuel pump. Big surprise - it idled like a dream. Thanks for your help.

When i get an rfi or di in for service i always clean injectors and replace fuel filters. I have yet to run across one thats ever been done before it gets to me.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Well, changing those filters is a nasty job. Especially the inner one. I am not surprised that most dealers just don't bother. My machine was serviced annually at a certified Seadoo and the work orders show they have never been changed in 400 hours of use.

And to think you pay a premium at the dealership to have "proper" maintenance done..............lol!

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

PWCToday Newbie

I'm having about the same problems with my 02 model. I had the dealer reset the TPS after I replaced it and it ran better but not like it should. Still not 100% trusting the dealer or their open bagged part. I may try cleaning the injectors and replacing the filters. I'm kinda surprised that a C battery opened the injector. That's some good info!

PWCToday Newbie

There are lots of videos on youtube about dyi injector cleaning. Start by shooting carb cleaner thru backwards and then forward. I was surprised that C cell opened it as well. I started low so as not to fire them. It clicked right open.
    Rockauto sells both filters together for $4. http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/s...+strainer,6212
    It is the same fuel pump as a 2002 Saturn SC. BRP doesn't even list the inner filter. You have to open the pump canister right up to get at it. Sort of a pain but pointless to just do the one filter as the fuel has to go thru both. Here's the pdf on how. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/atta...1&d=1279215872

PWCToday Newbie

Nice!

Thread Information