Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Scottie Mac's Avatar

Re: Another Blaster Build

Gp1200 motors have great low end torque, but sign off early (in the very low 7ks). Kawi motors with the set up you mentioned, have nearly the same bottom and more mid and top, pulling to the high 77-7800s. IMO, you are used to the Kawi power plant, you should stick to it. Plus, the kawi motor fits in the blaster lower and further back, which helps handling.

SM
    Last edited by Scottie Mac; 09-02-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    Those who have done the least in the sport are always the ones with the most to say.

Best career accomplishment: Fatherhood

Proud Member of TEAM TFP!

Support those who support the sport!!!
    JAM Racing
    Judge Motorsports
    www.hotproductsusa.com
    www.optimaracing.com
    www.nynjapwc.com
    Judge Motorsports
    www.raddudesfi.com
    ProWatercraftracing.com
    www.ipdjetskigraphics.com
    ADA Racing
    Monster Motorsports
    A&R Performance

Mmm........ a pizza sounds good right about now!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie Mac View Post
    Gp1200 motors have great low end torque, but sign off early (in the very low 7ks). Kawi motors with the set up you mentioned, have nearly the same bottom and more mid and top, pulling to the high 77-7800s. IMO, you are used to the Kawi power plant, you should stick to it. Plus, the kawi motor fits in the blaster lower and further back, which helps handling.

SM
    Scottie,

Your endorsement holds a lot of weight.

It might work out well as I have a few extra parts floating around for Kawi (Mikuni 44 plate, blockoff, domes, etc). After doing the wiring on my X4 I could put that together in my sleep. I could also pull the GP1200 carbs off the X4 and replace them with some 46's and use the 44's on the Blaster.

Or maybe I follow up on my earlier thought and pull the 1100 out of the X4 and put it in the Blaster, and put a more mild motor back in the X4. Hmmmm.

Will the raider WB hook up to the Kawi, or would I need to make another one?
    Last edited by Alter Ego Trip; 09-02-2017 at 03:16 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Scottie Mac's Avatar

We use raider boxes, but you will have to use a larger intake tube to match the outer diameter of the Kawi pipe.

Not saying the gp1200 conversion is bad by any means, it's just, the kawi has a certain feel in it's power delivery that I think you already like.

SM
    Those who have done the least in the sport are always the ones with the most to say.

Best career accomplishment: Fatherhood

Proud Member of TEAM TFP!

Support those who support the sport!!!
    JAM Racing
    Judge Motorsports
    www.hotproductsusa.com
    www.optimaracing.com
    www.nynjapwc.com
    Judge Motorsports
    www.raddudesfi.com
    ProWatercraftracing.com
    www.ipdjetskigraphics.com
    ADA Racing
    Monster Motorsports
    A&R Performance

Mmm........ a pizza sounds good right about now!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie Mac View Post
    We use raider boxes, but you will have to use a larger intake tube to match the outer diameter of the Kawi pipe.

Not saying the gp1200 conversion is bad by any means, it's just, the kawi has a certain feel in it's power delivery that I think you already like.

SM
    I definitely love the Kawi powerband. It's a beast in the X4 and has plenty of snap off the bottom but the mid/upper range is addicting as heck.
    Last edited by Alter Ego Trip; 09-02-2017 at 05:57 PM.

I dream skis

Quote Originally Posted by Seadoodoc View Post
    For what it's worth guys back in the day I disassembled a brand-spanking-new GP 1200 r. The exhaust system by itself weighed nearly 55 lb. The new triple pipes we put in contained in the cardboard box weighed in at 51 lb. My suspicion is the total weight of the 1200 motor is in the 150 lbs category as you're in the 110 lb category on 1100. Non power valve. Work on weight issues and not horsepower issues in my advice

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
    The GP1200R (66V) and GP1200 (65U) motors are completely different animals. I wouldnt be surprised if the 66V exhaust weighs 55lbs but the 65U exhaust is probably about half that. I have mine apart right now and it is no where near 55 lbs.

The yamaha 1100 and 1200 (65U) should weigh the same give or take a pound or two.

For what its worth I'm working on a Blaster 2 1200 conversion right now, I havent dropped in the motor yet but with available conversion kits out there for the yamaha 1100/1200 install should be pretty easy.

I choose the 1200 over the Kawi 1100 for the additional HP, it seemed easier to mod, and it comes with 44's stock, plus I used to race a GP1200 back in the day and loved the bottom end torque. (PS: I am totally biased because while I have had lots of skis, I always raced yamaha)
    Last edited by a1965gt; 09-02-2017 at 10:52 PM.
    1996 XP Nearly Complete
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.p...17#post4380117

1996 WaveBlaster II 1200 conversion in progress

Quote Originally Posted by a1965gt View Post
    The GP1200R (66V) and GP1200 (65U) motors are completely different animals. I wouldnt be surprised if the 66V exhaust weighs 55lbs but the 65U exhaust is probably about half that. I have mine apart right now and it is no where near 55 lbs.
    Good catch. The 66v is a beast and wouldn't come close to fitting in a wb lol.

I choose the 1200 over the Kawi 1100 for the additional HP, it seemed easier to mod, and it comes with 44's stock, plus I used to race a GP1200 back in the day and loved the bottom end torque. (PS: I am totally biased because while I have had lots of skis, I always raced yamaha)
    Can't fault running what you know and trust. The carb thing really isn't that big a deal to me. I'd never buy a motor with the CV's. The last 1100 I bought were non CV. I sold them and upgraded to GP1200 44's for around a hunsky. The adapter plate is like 80 bucks. As Scottie mentioned the Yammy might make more power stock, but an ignition advance and pipe mod even them out pretty quickly. I hate the giant pipe on the Yammy.

I'd love to ride a Blaster back to back with a 1200 and 1100 Kawi. I was just out tonight flogging my X4 and I can't imagine many motors pulling much harder. In all fairness it is pretty modified; but even last year it wasn't a whole lot less before the port, comp bump, and reeds.

At then end of the day it's probably splitting hairs and it comes down to what you have access to. The only way I think I would end up with a 1200 would be to find a donor ski which around here would run at least $2,500. 1100 Kawi motors, or donor skis for that matter are much less. If a 1200 dropped in my lap I certainly wouldn't turn it down.
    Last edited by Alter Ego Trip; 09-02-2017 at 11:14 PM.

Extra weight helps over certain mph. Running into situation on our xpl carbon fiber boat after 80 mph

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego Trip View Post
    I agree and disagree to some point. In the world of drag racing every lb you can shave off is critical. It's been proven with the waveblaster that they respond really well to the extra weight when it comes to buoy chasing, etc. Now where is the line between enough and too much, I don't know. I think how the weight is distributed is as important as the total amount of weight.
    True statement. After going from my 701 to a friend's modded 900 I can say that the extra weight, along with the extra power, really does improve the handling. When getting back on a 2 cylinder the lighter boat feels 'floaty'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gruen View Post
    True statement. After going from my 701 to a friend's modded 900 I can say that the extra weight, along with the extra power, really does improve the handling. When getting back on a 2 cylinder the lighter boat feels 'floaty'.
    I noticed this with my X4 1100 swap. It bites and corners considerably better with the 1100 than the 787. I haven't noticed any loss in wake jumping ability either.

Frequent Poster

I would stick to the Kawi. The main reason is you now know Kawi and have spares. You are dealing with essentially 20yr old junk. When you have an issue and are trouble shooting it's much easier to grab a part off a boat of yours that you know is good. I am thinking of doing the opposite of you and building a 1100 X4, I have a couple 1100 B1's and now want a pump gas arm stretching X4.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information