Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Problem with my 95 Sea Doo SPX 657 engine

I have owned my 95 Sea Doo SPX since new and have had almost zero issues with it. Last time out it stopped running and would not restart. It sounded as if it wanted to but not luck.
    I did a compression test and found the rear cylinder has 130 psi and the front cylinder has 30 psi. Can anyone direct me in what might be causing the dramatic loss of pressure?
    Not sure if its rings, hole in piston, hole in head, etc......

Looking for advise.

Thanks,

Rick[/FONT][/COLOR]

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt Braley's Avatar

Re: Problem with my 95 Sea Doo SPX 657 engine

Sounds like the fuel system and/or the oil injection system went out on you.

For the oil system look at the little oil lines on the intake manifold. Also check the oil filter to see if it is clogged(very common when different brands of Tcw-3 oil is used because they gel). Make sure the cable is moving the oiler and that it is still in adjustment.

Hopefully your original grey fuel lines have been replaced otherwise they may have clogged the carb up. The carbs needs a rebuild every few years so if this has not been done or were done incorrectly then that could be your culprit. The fuel valve fails often also allowing air in.

You could have a hole in one of your pistons, use a bore scope to look at the "dome" of the piston. It also could be your piston rings have become seized, allowing blow-by causing low pressure reading.

Since you are now in top end rebuild space just remove the hoses from the head and pull the head by removing the 12 head bolts. Then you will see the damage. Matt is dead on -----you need to find and fix the cause of your issue ----before putting a new top end on. Make the top end decision based on what is found with the front cylinder.
    If you have damage that would put your bottom end at risk then full rebuild or exchange motor would be advisable. In my area a 95 SPX in good running condition with single trailer is worth about $1300. now so keep that in mind in your decision. Top end can be had for about $300. for parts and machining. If you do the work.
    Carb rebuild and fuel system cleaning/upgrade should be included as well.
    Last edited by hafweigthr; 09-06-2017 at 05:46 PM.
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

Quote Originally Posted by hafweigthr View Post
    Since you are now in top end rebuild space just remove the hoses from the head and pull the head by removing the 12 head bolts. Then you will see the damage. Matt is dead on -----you need to find and fix the cause of your issue ----before putting a new top end on. Make the top end decision based on what is found with the front cylinder.
    If you have damage that would put your bottom end at risk then full rebuild or exchange motor would be advisable. In my area a 95 SPX in good running condition with single trailer is worth about $1300. now so keep that in mind in your decision. Top end can be had for about $300. for parts and machining. If you do the work.
    Carb rebuild and fuel system cleaning/upgrade should be included as well.
    Only pull those 12 bolts if you have a torque wrench to put them back. Or you're SOL.

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions.

I had the local marina take a look, they pulled the head off and found that one of the cylinders has the rings basically welded to the piston. They basically said they would rebuild the top half of the motor and rebuild the carbs. Also, change out the fuel and oil lines, as they are original. Cost estimate of $1500.

Wow- That's steep. I keep avoiding getting in the business full time but wow. At that price you could buy a SBT motor with shipping and pay somebody to put it in. Again ski is only worth $1100 by itself ---more to you if you keep but just doing the top end at this price on a ski with original crank(crank seals) is not a good idea.
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

Thread Information