User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Race mods: Set back pump, front fill, tubbies, trim, etc.

I am starting to clean up and will repaint and add graphics to my wife's '88 X2 650.

It runs great. (No it does not have a 800cc in it, yet.) But the hull has some serious dings and wear which need to be filled, sanded and painted, the seat will be going to Jettrim soon, etc.

In preparation, I read this thread:

HOW TO: fix your new to you x2. READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST A NEW THREAD asking how too

I also read this entire thread:

Proposed Rules for 2014 WF Vintage X2 Class *Please Read if you plan on racing it*

which mentions the following "Race mods": Set back pump, front fill, tubbies, trim,* etc.

The mods that I am interested in doing now are hull mods, so I am interested in front fill and tubbies.

I searched for "front fill" and got nothing. What are you racers doing as "front fill." Are you laying up lead sheet underneath to keep the nose down? What and where are you filling? Pictures would be appreciated.

Same thing for "tubbies."

Reading the above thread, I realized that Steve Girling, 2015 X2 Open World Champion lives just 32 miles from us. But even if I could contact him, I wouldn't because I am so unknowledgeable that I wouldn't want to waste his time. So, I come here in the hope that you guys and gals will educate me.

* The ski already has a motorcycle brake lever nozzle trim adjuster (which doesn't seem to do much to me as yet).
    Last edited by E350; 08-29-2017 at 01:34 AM.

Re: Race mods: Set back pump, front fill, tubbies, trim, etc.

This is the front fill you want: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=459630

Shoot a message to X2Jess about his tubbies.

Both are the gold standard for X2 racing. I had both on my race ski and it made a huge difference. It would no longer take you for a death roll at high speed and would just fall into the corners and hook you around it. Definitely a must do. Ill get some pics together of mine. When photobucket decided they wernt hosting pics any more it killed all of the links in my thread.
    -95 750SXI
    -86 440 undergoing PJS800 conversion
    -90 TS650

Also, if you have a rideable ski, show up to the DJSA Pittsburgh Seafood Festival race. I was there last year with my SXi and X2 on the trailer. Talked to Steve about his ski and got to ride it. Best X2 ive ever pulled the throttle on, just smooth.
    -95 750SXI
    -90 TS650

Thanks Bandit88. Pictures would help.

I can't believe that there is not one picture of the fill in gwtrujillo's thread:

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=459630

I will pm gwtrujillo and JonnyX2 about their fills if they don't post here.

I haven't looked through all 187 pages of this thread yet, but photobucket also gutted many of the pages so far:

Thread: alot of x2 pics

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=174358

What are the best tubbies?

Thanks in advance, guys and gals for all your help!
    Last edited by E350; 08-29-2017 at 01:18 PM.

The tubbies X2Jess makes are known to be the best for racing.

Here are pics of my X2 and install pics from when I did gwtrujillo's front fill.
    https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...KmrdlgQGR6f0Ds
    -95 750SXI
    -90 TS650

anyone ever lengthen the strakes (depth) on a X-2?

2strokesmoke: I am very interested in hull design. What would lengthening the strakes do on a ski?

One guess is that it would provide more directional/longitudinal stability (i.e., make the ski go better straight)?

Second guess is that it may provide more lift (i.e., like a hydrofoil) which may or may not be a good thing?

My observation is that pretty much everything that goes fast is long and narrow, with a corresponding detriment to turning ability. But the fact that you can rail a ski over on the up-curved parting line (i.e., hull/deck bond line?) may compensate for that on a jet ski?

BTW, in 2015 I posted a thread asking everybody to post up pictures of their hulls and the thread was a bust.

(But I'm not giving up...)
    Last edited by E350; 08-29-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit88 View Post
    The tubbies X2Jess makes are known to be the best for racing.

Here are pics of my X2 and install pics from when I did gwtrujillo's front fill.
    https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...KmrdlgQGR6f0Ds
    Holy Cow! Bandit88 you win the most helpful award! Downloaded your album for close review. After I look through the photos in detail I am sure that I will have some questions.

Beautiful ski!

The deepening of the strakes helps the ski hold a line and gives it some bite when turning and acts like its on rails. Common mod for the older hulls, 550s and such.. Look at some of the aftermarket SXR hulls. Those strakes are deeeep. But the X-2 is a whole different ride than any pole ski.

Some guys out as sxr chines on the X2 but it does add lift on the ski making it twitchy on the nose. Every mod changed something else. The best is a pump fill and tubbies, no real draw back in these. A front fill adds a lot more splash, smother through ruff water but requires a lot more effort to hook a turn so a lot of guys will add length to get more lift in the rear to keep the nose down. You should try to ride one before you change it I'm.
    God, family and ski's.

650sx
    850sxr a/m
    650X2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information