Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

Fuel issue, I think 95 XP

Ski has been hesitating from idle to mid/high throttle. I have had to pump it then it responds. Today I got it going full throttle for about 5 mins or so, then I let it idle and it slowly died. I could not restart it and had to swim back to the beach. Towed it home and it fired up.
    Fuel sector?
    Fuel lines?
    Carburetor? If so what? (I have not checked popoff, don't have equipment)
    Electrical? (I have replaced everything but the coil)
    Anyone ever have this problem?
    Thanks

Re: Fuel issue, I think 95 XP

Quote Originally Posted by Yabadabadoo View Post
    Ski has been hesitating from idle to mid/high throttle. I have had to pump it then it responds. Today I got it going full throttle for about 5 mins or so, then I let it idle and it slowly died. I could not restart it and had to swim back to the beach. Towed it home and it fired up.
    Fuel sector? Selector Yes
    Fuel lines? Yes
    Carburetor? If so what? Rebuild with new Mikuni parts as necessary and yes check pop off.>(I have not checked popoff, don't have equipment)
    Electrical? (I have replaced everything but the coil)
    Anyone ever have this problem? Does not sound like an electrical problem.
    Thanks
    See above.
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

PWCToday Regular

Thanks, ya I spent about 4 hours reading other threads last night so I'm going to go through the entire fuel system and fix it. Appreciate the help. Cheers

PWCToday Regular

OK, pulled of all the fuel lines, filter, pickups etc. everything is good and fuel is flowing just fine (replaced anyways). The 1 way check valve is working and the pressure relief valve feels like I can barely blow through it when I try as hard as possible, when I try to suck on the outlet side I can't. I'm wondering if this pressure valve might cause excessive pressure in the tank and cause it to flood, is that a possibility?
    I started it and ran it on hose for 5 mins, turned of, then started right up. Then I ran it for 5 mins, turned off hose to let it get quite hot, turned off, then it fired right up.
    If the needle and seat were bad, wouldn't the problem show up while on trailer/hose?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home jerrspud's Avatar

... wouldn't the problem show up while on trailer/hose?
    not much crossover between the two environments.

(I have not checked popoff, don't have equipment)
    there is a good troubleshooting section in the free shop manual you can run though. don't skip steps or go cheap if you want the ski to run well.
    Last edited by jerrspud; 08-29-2017 at 05:35 PM.
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

92 Kawasaki 550SX 89 550PP, 44MM SBN carb, Westcoast exhaust, Mariner head, OceanPro rideplate
    90 Sea-Doo SP Quadra-Fin rideplate, Solas 14x19 prop, Tuned Pipe, 147 RV, Mariner intake manifold , 44MM SBN Carb, K&N performance arrestor, 91 XP hood
    96 Sea-Doo SPX X4 Hull- R&D rideplate, NuJet prop, RAM cup holder, Commercial Tiny Tach
    88 JS550
    pile of parts, but it's all there

Quote Originally Posted by JetDreams
    your finger is the trigger to success...

PWCToday Regular

Thanks for you input guys. Only reason I don't check these things on the water is the lake is 40 mins from my house. Im really beginning to think it's the pressure relief valve. Like I said I can barely blow through it and it's set for 1.5 psi. So the other day I was Wot for like 10 mins the it died at idle and would not restart until a couple hours later. So with all that high speed it built up too much pressure in the system with the bad valve and at idle the carbs couldn't pump the fuel back the return lines thereby flooding the engine? Possible? Likely? Hmmmm... Cheers

PWCToday Regular

I pulled the pressure relief valve off, soaked it in goo gone, the ran some compressed air through it. Now it let's air through at 1.5 approx psi. Started it and ran on hose for 10 mins. I opened the gas cap after and there was no air rushing by like before. I think that was it. Sometimes it is just an easy fix and it wasn't necessary to rebuild the carbs I just rebuilt and spend a TONNE of money. If it wasn't a cheap fix it would have be parted out. Hope this thread helps someone with the same problem...... Thank jerspud and hafweithr, I appreciate your input.
    Last edited by Yabadabadoo; 08-29-2017 at 10:16 PM.

PWCToday Regular

So I have been doing lots of homework and testing as I want this thing to be spot on! I built a pop off tester and the pop off was WAY over, like 40 or 50psi. I changed the springs and adjusted now it is around 18 or 20 psi as per the manual. The needle and seat are not leaking and it passes all tests (in the manual). On both carbs, the area around the fuel pump on the pump one, and that same side on the other one leak air when I pump it in to test. I changed gaskets and used the rubber ring and a gasket as per the parts schematic and it still leaks air, on both...
    Is this OK? seems f'd up to me!
    also the in line I can blow through but also suck air out, just a bit but isn't that suppose to be blocked? it the same symptom on both inlet and outlet on both carbs
    Thanks

PWCToday Regular

I would love some pro input here. As I search the internet SBT states the pop off should be at 40psi (around that) and Bombardier manual states 16 to 21. This is for a 1995 seadoo xp with dual 38 carbs. I have it apart right now and this is the first time I have ever done pop off so I'm frustrated to say the least.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]529880[/ATTACH
    Screenshot_20170903-100228.png
    Screenshot_20170903-090956.png
    Screenshot_20170903-091437.png
    Hers the info I'm looking at, would love some guidance, like I said this is my first time doing popoff.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

PWCToday Regular

So I changed the pop off to around 20psi (as in oem seadoo manual) down from 40-50psi (sbt recommendation) and also as earlier stated fixed the plugged pressure relief valve, and set the idle a touch higher. Ski runs like a champ, issues fixed.
    Hope this helps someone with same problem. Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information