Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt Braley's Avatar

Re: Fuel issue, I think 95 XP

Pop off should be up there over 40psi on 95 717's with dual 38mm carbs. 1.2 seats with 80 gram springs. Sorry you found conflicting info.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home jerrspud's Avatar

I wonder if the carbs are different between 95 and 96 on a 720. I know there are SBN's and SBNi's
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

92 Kawasaki 550SX 89 550PP, 44MM SBN carb, Westcoast exhaust, Mariner head, OceanPro rideplate
    90 Sea-Doo SP Quadra-Fin rideplate, Solas 14x19 prop, Tuned Pipe, 147 RV, Mariner intake manifold , 44MM SBN Carb, K&N performance arrestor, 91 XP hood
    96 Sea-Doo SPX X4 Hull- R&D rideplate, NuJet prop, RAM cup holder, Commercial Tiny Tach
    88 JS550
    pile of parts, but it's all there

Quote Originally Posted by JetDreams
    your finger is the trigger to success...

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by jerrspud View Post
    I wonder if the carbs are different between 95 and 96 on a 720. I know there are SBN's and SBNi's
    I think so, I know they added the dess key in 96 and rave valves (I think) so it wouldn't surprise me. This one has me wondering. I just dropped the popoff down to 20psi as stated in the oem manual from around 50 and it's working waaaaaaaay better

You might want to mention to people in this thread that you are running aftermarket flame arrestors and not the stock air box. In most cases running open air filters requires the pop off pressure to be lowered. I mentioned this in your other thread as well. Glad to here you got it running good.
    04' Shorelander Double Trailer
    98' Sea Doo SPX Mint
    96' Sea Doo HX Mint
    95' Sea Doo XP800 Mint
    95' Sea Doo XP800 - Rescue project (almost done)
    99' Sea Doo XPL - rescue (project on hold)
    97' Tigershark Daytona 1000 - Another rescue project (see videos below)
    My Jet Ski videos below.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...wmp0jqpvLFpgmZ

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Dan87951 View Post
    You might want to mention to people in this thread that you are running aftermarket flame arrestors and not the stock air box. In most cases running open air filters requires the pop off pressure to be lowered. I mentioned this in your other thread as well. Glad to here you got it running good.
    Nope, stock air box.

PWCToday Regular

nevermind. my ski is still running like crap, don't listen to me I have no clue what I'm doing!!

Just curious have you checked your compression? On this setup with BN-38I you should be popping off above 40. Main jet should be 135 and pilot 67.5 with a 1.2 needle and seat. Stick with it you will find your problem. Some 717s based on their setup run better on BR7ES plugs.
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by hafweigthr View Post
    Just curious have you checked your compression? On this setup with BN-38I you should be popping off above 40. Main jet should be 135 and pilot 67.5 with a 1.2 needle and seat. Stick with it you will find your problem. Some 717s based on their setup run better on BR7ES plugs.
    Thanks!... Compression is 140 in each cylinder. I ripped it all out and set the pop off around 45. I think this might be a Frankenstki, it says 850 on the outside but the engine is a 717. Also the carbs were set at 1 turn out for the low which is the stock settings for the 800. Carb throat on engine side is 39mm so I'm not sure if it's a bn38i or bn40i. Anyways, popoff is at 45, low is at 1 3/4 turns, high at zero. Seems to run pretty good on the trailer, I'll take it out and see one of these days....... Taking a frustration break... Lol. Appreciate the help hafweightr

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home jerrspud's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yabadabadoo View Post
    Thanks!... Compression is 140 in each cylinder. I ripped it all out and set the pop off around 45. I think this might be a Frankenstki, it says 850 on the outside but the engine is a 717. Also the carbs were set at 1 turn out for the low which is the stock settings for the 800. Carb throat on engine side is 39mm so I'm not sure if it's a bn38i or bn40i. Anyways, popoff is at 45, low is at 1 3/4 turns, high at zero. Seems to run pretty good on the trailer, I'll take it out and see one of these days....... Taking a frustration break... Lol. Appreciate the help hafweightr
    oh.. it's an 800 hull with the wrong motor in it. Now we're making progress. Don't look at 95 specs.. that's the first year of the 720.. are ya positive it's even a 720?
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

92 Kawasaki 550SX 89 550PP, 44MM SBN carb, Westcoast exhaust, Mariner head, OceanPro rideplate
    90 Sea-Doo SP Quadra-Fin rideplate, Solas 14x19 prop, Tuned Pipe, 147 RV, Mariner intake manifold , 44MM SBN Carb, K&N performance arrestor, 91 XP hood
    96 Sea-Doo SPX X4 Hull- R&D rideplate, NuJet prop, RAM cup holder, Commercial Tiny Tach
    88 JS550
    pile of parts, but it's all there

Quote Originally Posted by JetDreams
    your finger is the trigger to success...

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by jerrspud View Post
    oh.. it's an 800 hull with the wrong motor in it. Now we're making progress. Don't look at 95 specs.. that's the first year of the 720.. are ya positive it's even a 720?
    Yes, the metal tag on the stator side of engine says so. I replaced the mpem, starter solenoid, and regulator with 717 electronics (the seller fried them with a car jump start). Only original electronics are the coil and stator so I think I'm OK with the electronics???
    When cleaning the carb I can blow through the small jet but can't remove it (stuck but not clogged) and the main jet says 132.5 I think and pretty sure it's a 1.2 needle and seat (very hard to read that small). Since cleaning and adjusting it's running the best that it has yet on trailer, but I haven't water tested it yet as the lake is far away.
    Question, how can I tell the difference between the bn38i and the bn40i? I used my vernier calipers to measure the inner diameter of the carb on the engine side and got 39mm? wtf? If it is a bn40i, would the settings be much different?
    thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information