Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

how to check valve clearance ?

whats the best way to check valve clearance?

just polished valves and replaced head gasket .

went pretty smooth except when i had valves out i feel like i may have mixed em up a bit. just the outer ones not the centers or you know not intake or exhaust .

i thought no big deal ill just check clearances and swap pads around if i need to.
    but i don't have any feeler gauges that will fit in gaps through the caps.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: how to check valve clearance ?

i guess my question is has anybody cut their feeler gauges or do they make special gauges or if this is too technical for you guys i will try another site.

PWCToday Newbie

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Well json you need to google some more because that set won't fit in there here is what you need to check valve lash on the R1-MR1 engines https://www.amazon.com/Supply-35-797.../dp/B00ZPIQM5Y

Check all the clearances and make yourself a chart, that way when you pull the cams you know what shim needs to go where. It helps to have a small micrometer to double check shim sizes with as the markings have usually worn off.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 08-30-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    Get your Fat Dudes T-shirts right here PM me for details !

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

it is a PIA job on any bucket shim motor to get them right again after a mix up , i know these things after the granddaughter decided to play tiddly winks with a set of shims i had laid out for a 250 hp 4 cam V6 outboard "now that is a head fvck", if you can on that motor look for the special tool to compress the spring bucket to allow you to flick the shim out with a small blade screwdriver,that way you can leave the cams in place (if possible) once you have measured the clearances you will have to flick out each shim and measure to find the suitable one for the valve a calculator and as WFO pointed out a micrometer is handy ,if not a vernier will work in ball park , sometimes you get lucky and all the shims are the same size on exhaust and all the same on intake , good thing is most manufactures also give a 5-8 thou leaway ,, have fun
    Last edited by hyosung; 08-30-2017 at 01:37 PM.
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

Quote Originally Posted by hyosung View Post
    it is a PIA job on any bucket shim motor to get them right again after a mix up , i know these things after the granddaughter decided to play tiddly winks with a set of shims i had laid out for a 250 hp 4 cam V6 outboard "now that is a head fvck", if you can on that motor look for the special tool to compress the spring bucket to allow you to flick the shim out with a small blade screwdriver,that way you can leave the cams in place (if possible) once you have measured the clearances you will have to flick out each shim and measure to find the suitable one for the valve a calculator and as WFO pointed out a micrometer is handy ,if not a vernier will work in ball park , sometimes you get lucky and all the shims are the same size on exhaust and all the same on intake , good thing is most manufactures also give a 5-8 thou leaway ,, have fun
    Shims under the buckets Hyosung, cam removal is a necessity.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    Shims under the buckets Hyosung, cam removal is a necessity.
    ah ha , yea ,never had one of these motors apart , , thought they may have been on top like most motors
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

PWCToday Newbie

ok thanks guys i actually cut some feelers . looks as if i didnt mixem up . like i said it would have just been outsides and after flipping the head over a couple of times i wasnt so sure . but everything measures out ok. im gonna triple check em b4 i put all back .

Not very often that they get out of spec

PWCToday Newbie

I'm rebuilding a 4stroke motor and the person who took it apart did not mark the valve pads and threw them all in a baggy.. all still have visable numbers, does anyone know what the clearance should be as I'm going to have to do this all over ?

Thread Information