User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Regular

How to check ignition timing on 1997 640???

Just did a rebuild on a buddies 640 3 seater. He holed a piston and it needed crank seals. So all done and back together but no runny. Got spark, got 125lbs compression on new rings, Won't even sputter. Tried dumping raw fuel down carb throat, tried starting fluid, nothing. The starter will spin it over but every once it a while it hits like the timing is too advanced and holds up for second them spins fine again. I pulled the plug on the mag cover and saw marks on the FW. I highlighted them then spun it over with my timing light on it but the marks never show, just the strip that triggers the pulsar coil. That flywheel is keyed and the pulsar coil can only go in one way. I don't see how the timing could be off, but that's what it acts like.

Any hints?

Thanks

Re: How to check ignition timing on 1997 640???

Couple of things. first, after rebuilding an engine with new rings, compression should be at or near 160 psi in all cylinders on that engine. The 640 is a very high compression engine. Did you hone/bore the cylinders before installing?
    Second, you are correct in that, without mods, you can not change the timing. It's fixed. Check your starter and make sure it's not corroded inside.
    Hope this helps.
    Own:
    99' TS770R
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    Owned:
    94' Montego (my first) sold
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Daytona (the one that got away...) sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold
    97' Daytona 1000 clean and beautiful. You will be missed.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by lrutt View Post
    Just did a rebuild on a buddies 640 3 seater. He holed a piston and it needed crank seals. So all done and back together but no runny. Got spark, got 125lbs compression on new rings, Won't even sputter. Tried dumping raw fuel down carb throat, tried starting fluid, nothing. The starter will spin it over but every once it a while it hits like the timing is too advanced and holds up for second them spins fine again. I pulled the plug on the mag cover and saw marks on the FW. I highlighted them then spun it over with my timing light on it but the marks never show, just the strip that triggers the pulsar coil. That flywheel is keyed and the pulsar coil can only go in one way. I don't see how the timing could be off, but that's what it acts like.

Any hints?

Thanks
    This is my first post but have lurked a here awhile. Sounds like my nephew's and my '95 TS 900 when I don't get the timing correct before connecting the battery. Swap spark plug wires and see what happens.

PWCToday Regular

Ok, back after a while. Still no go on this ski though. Still same problem. Even tried starting fluid. it will spin a couple times then just pull down like it's firing way to soon then spin a couple more times and do it again. I've never failed to get any kind of machine running but this one has me stumped.

Thread Information