Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2001 Seadoo GTX 951 DI starting issue

Hey all, I am having a strange issue with TWO of my identical 2001 951 GTX DI skis. I first noticed the issue about a week ago. I went out to start my blue gtx and all it did was click and i would get an endless amount of single beeps, which is strange because i have never read about that beep pattern anywhere. So i initially assume maybe a bad battery. Swapped it out and the ski started and ran great. After assuming the issue is resolved, I disconnect the positive post and leave the ski for another week. I come out today to fire both blue and red skis up before taking them to the lake and they BOTH are doing the exact same thing! I connect the DESS key and i get two regular beeps and the fuel pump kicks on and everything. I push the start button and i get the click from the starter solenoid and some weird beep patterns. Usually just the multiple beeps like i mentioned above but sometimes it will initially produce a quick "muted" beep and a fast one after and then endless single beeps. Any thoughts?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home bills86e's Avatar

Re: 2001 Seadoo GTX 951 DI starting issue

You need 12.5 volts charge min.

The battery is charged and good. I even tried a brand new battery today. Same thing

I checked the negative cable going to starter and positives from battery to elec box to starter. All seemed good. I cleaned the cable terminals on batteries too. Still the same issue. Any thoughts?

Resident Guru

You have a voltage droop issue going on, which is likely causing the funky beep pattern your getting; the MPEM is floating into a state of non-operation. I'll assume your check of the cables was visual. Do you have a voltmeter?

Yes i have a meter. What kind of tests are you thinking?
    Last edited by charliebabb; 08-28-2017 at 01:44 AM.

Resident Guru

You need to go step by step looking for where the voltage is falling down. Step 1 is to measure battery voltage on the battery posts themselves, not on any connected part. A good battery with sufficient charge should show 12.6 volts with no load applied. If low, charge it at a 2 amp rate to avoid internal damage from fast charging. If you're at 12.6, with the meter solidly on the posts, apply the starter as a significant load, Voltage will droop some, but likely be no less than about 10.5 (best estimate here). Lower voltage indicates the battery cannot handle the high starting current. Unfortunately, a "new" part these days doesn't always guarantee a good part. Prove the battery first.

From there, you can check each battery/starter cable assembly. One probe on one end, and the other probe on the other. If you go post to other end terminal stud, you'll be checking the cable itself, the crimps on the terminations, and the quality of the mating surfaces for proper conduction. You should see no more than a tenth or two voltage drop on a cable assembly when carrying starter current.

If you're suspect of the relay itself, place a heavy jumper across the main terminals to see if you get sufficient cranking, or you can use the meter to check drop across the contactor.

I checked the positive and negative cables, starter solenoids, and dess posts. Both skis were good. Something so weird is happening, because both ran great and now they both are doing this. And I haven't done anything to them. Ugh

Anyone experience this weird DI issue? Im stumped

Attach a battery jumper cable from the negative side of the battery only and place the other end on the engine,make sure it is grounded properly
    try this and see if does anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information