Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

F12x turbo return lines

Why are there 2 return lines on the turbo, one is big and 1 looks like it is metered or a small outlet?

Banjomaniac

Re: F12x turbo return lines

The turbo's bearings are lubricated by oil, and the center cartridge is also cooled by oil. So one line going in supplies oil to the bearings and center cartridge. The smaller outlet is for the center cartridge to reduce oil pressure loss, other outlet is from the bearings and is already restricted by the bearing tolerances.
    05 F-12X

I'm on the drinking diet. I lost 2 days already.

Center cartridge? Not sure what that is? I ran the ski with the turbo removed and I put the oil feed line in a container, this was after I cleaned that screen on the other end at the bottom of the feed line. I ran the motor a few seconds and caught some oil coming out just curious how much oil should be coming out? I want to put on a new turbo and I just want to make sure I don't burn it up from lack of oil.

Banjomaniac

The center cartridge is the part of the turbo that houses the bearings. It's the metal housing with the oil lines going in/out.

On my ski, with the oil feed line disconnected and put into a coffee can, running the starter motor with the plugs removed will fill a red solo cup in about 10-15 seconds. It's just as important that your return/drain line is clear and unclogged, the hot oil from the turbo has to be able to drain back into the sump unrestricted. Using a small funnel, pour some oil in it and make sure it drains right away.
    05 F-12X

Thanks West_Coaster , I don't think mine is putting out that much. I think I'll flush with some motor flush for a few minutes and pump it all out and refill and try it again. I'll pull the line again after I drain it and look at the screen again.

Banjomaniac

Not sure of the condition of your motor but remember there are also two flat screens on the oil pump inside the tank. I've seen debris on them but I've never seen them blocked.
    03 Honda F12X (my favorite) Red of course
    Jim's Alpha Boost kit, H2O ECU Modulator, Large Intercooler, Solas intake grate and Impeller

Used to have:
    98 GP760, 97 GTX Sea Doo, 97 GP1200, 02 Honda F12X, 2-03 Honda F12X, 05 SeaDoo GTX Supercharged

Need to have:
    F15X

I would think if it was clogged or flowing slow the low oil pressure alarm would go off ? I cleaned the screen in the oil pan out completely and know all it had was oil water mix but It should be good.

Banjomaniac

How about taking a video of the oil supply hose going into a can while you turn the motor over with the starter. (Spark plugs out)
    05 F-12X

I just put the turbo back on last week so I can run some engine flush in it a few minutes and I'll change the oil then do the test. When I did the test I ran the ski for about 15 seconds when the turbo was off but I can pull the plugs and pull the return line and do it that way. It has rained for 2 weeks straight here in NC but I'll try to do this Saturday if the rain holds off.

Banjomaniac
    Last edited by banjomaniac; 08-22-2017 at 06:11 PM.

How about connecting an oil pressure guage, do I just pull the pressure sensor or switch and put a guage there to get a reading? Anyone have instructions on how to do this and what the pressure should be?

Banjomaniac

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information