Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

'89 Kawasaki 650sx runs like ****

Hi, I'm new to this pwctoday forum cite and am having a serious problem with my Kawasaki. I got this thing 4 years ago, restored the whole thing, rebuilt the engine and ran like a top the first two years on the water. One time I got stuck out in the bay and nearly sank it and ever since then, It's been giving me a problem even though ive taken the engine back out, cleaned all connections and rebuilt the carb.

Now, when I start it out of the water sounds strong. Then, I get out on the water and at idle it sounds good. When I try and get it up on plane it takes more time then it should. Once I'm riding and jump it a could times, it sounds and feels like one of the cylinders cuts out or fouls out. I idle it to the beach, take the plugs out, ones wet ones dry so I swap plugs and it doesn't follow. I then swap the plug wires and it still doesn't seem to follow. I also mess with the high low screws as well thinking it's getting too much fuel. It's got 125 psi in each cylander. So now I'm not sure if it's fuel related or if when it gets hot, it looses spark or the spark somehow arks. I know this sounds extremely weird and that's why I'm posting. Haven't been stumped till now with this pos. Any thoughts??

Thanks, Ray

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Re: '89 Kawasaki 650sx runs like ****

If you have a single carb and one plug is wet and the other is dry then you likely have a problem with one of the reeds.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

PWCToday Newbie

Ok do you think there is also any possibility it's got to do with the spark too or no?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

i too will go with a cracked reed .
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

Thread Information