Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: ? for former boat owners

Quote Originally Posted by AirJunky View Post
    Dealing with this now. I have a nice wake boat. But find I don't have enough friends who want to ride all the time. So I picked up a paddleboard, something I could do on my own. That wasn't enough of a thrill for me so I've been playing with old stand-ups for the last could years. And I have been able to rig the truck to tow the boat & haul 1 standup without too much problem. The boat is still used whenever we want to ride the foils, but it is definitely getting less hours this year.
    I don't wakeboard, but I love the looks of a wakeboard boat. Especially a Malibu Wakesetter. I just cant justify that type of expense for a motorized float, but I sure would love to have one.....)
    2007 Yamaha FX High Output
    2003 Yamaha GP800R
    2014 Stingray 180RX (Wifes Boat)

PWCToday Newbie

Pontoons sure have become popular. Saw one the other day with TWO 350 HP outboards on it......
    2003 Yamaha GP800R

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by charger_john View Post
    I used to own a 20' sea ray a long time ago and enjoyed it somewhat but eventually sold it because it was too much maintenance/storage for the use we got out of it. I couldn't fit it in a garage, and things left outside here in the PNW get wet & messy most of the year.

In recent years I moved on to PWC's and it's a way better hobby, for me anyway. More riding time and more fun!
    My sentiments exactly...
    2003 Yamaha GP800R

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home don37725's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vetplus40 View Post
    Pontoons sure have become popular. Saw one the other day with TWO 350 HP outboards on it......
    Last summer on Douglas Lake I saw a pontoon moving at a good pace - I was on my Raider which I knew did 50 on GPS - I tried to stay with the pontoon and could not! - It was a tritoon with an I/O

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner***
    *******************Liberty is a well-armed lamb.*****************

**********Lotteries are created by those who understand math**********
    ***************to take advantage of those who do not****************

***************As government expands, liberty contracts**************

Quote Originally Posted by vetplus40 View Post
    I don't wakeboard, but I love the looks of a wakeboard boat. Especially a Malibu Wakesetter. I just cant justify that type of expense for a motorized float, but I sure would love to have one.....)
    Yea, I've been riding SkySki for years. Always had a pretty nice tow boat for that. Getting into jetskis was really just something I wanted to do when I didn't have any riding buddies around. Guess I need to get new friends. Lol
    -
    Bill

Current ride is an almost stock 94 550SX
    My JS550 build
    . - SOLD

PWCToday Newbie

Have had my '92 2550 SX Sport Chaparral w/ 454 Mag for a number of years now and I'll probably hang on to forever. Heck, she's a 25 year old classic "go fast" now.
    It's a great boat except when we want to go on some smaller lake or such. Kinda big for some lakes and a PITA to launch and retrieve on a smallish launch..
    Great for bringing family and friends out for a day trip, and has a nice cuddy, so we can weekend on her, too. I like the big water, she likes the lakes.

Just got our 1st PWC, a Kawi STX 12f w/ a 15f engine in it (has the notorious bad crank / block #3 bearing caused by crap design jet pump bearing / shaft assy). Rebuilding engine now and modifying / rebuilding the jet pump.
    Got it mainly for the lake thing and the we have a few friends who only have the PWC's they use on the lakes. So we think keeping the boat and the PWC will cover all the bases.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by don37725 View Post
    Last summer on Douglas Lake I saw a pontoon moving at a good pace - I was on my Raider which I knew did 50 on GPS - I tried to stay with the pontoon and could not! - It was a tritoon with an I/O
    You tube has some vidoes of "toons" with Mercruiser bigblock IO's in them. Saw one doing over 60. Not with me on it !!!!!!
    Kind of frightening when one thinks about clipping a wake at that speed and air gets under that flat big platform....
    Last edited by 04fxdwgi25; 08-18-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Frequent Poster

I've gone back and forth several times, boat to skis, back to boat, back to skis. But never saw a reason to have both, I can't find enough time to use one or the other, much less both.

I started in the mid '70s with a boat doing free skiing on a slalom, trick skiing, kneeboarding and being thrown off a tube. In the late '70s I got into running the slalom course along with the other old school skiing. Then in the mid '80s I bought my first standup, a JS550 and sold the boat. Had a few skis then the skiing bug got to me again so I got another boat and sold the jetskis. Did the skiing thing for a while than back to jetskis. Couple of years and back to a boat. Fast forward to when wakeboarding became really popular and I was trying to do old school skiing. Had to quit because of how choppy all the wakeboats made the cove where the slalom course was located. Surely couldn't trickski in that chop. Got back into jetskis so I could find smaler coves and get away from the wakeboarders and the rough water they create. I do a little trickskiing and wakeboarding and wakeskating behind the runabout PWC but just playing around. With all the wakeboats throwing massive rollers on all the lakes I'll probably never get another ski boat. Nothing really against wakeboarders, just cant find calm water anymore for old school skiing.
    Last edited by bikerdib; 08-18-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    '16 Seadoo GTX155 / depth finder and ski mode module added
    '17 Kawasaki SXR 1500

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

iv always had boats and jet skis , however ,of late because of medical reasons jet skis have just sat in the yard collecting wild life (spiders, etc) so now its boats only , nothing too fast!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hyosung; 08-18-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information