Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Js550 carbon fiber handle pole ???

The green and carbon was a 12.5oz and the rest was 5 or 6oz I believe, (it's been a while) I've been doing some thinking about making 1 to sell, I'll finish it before it goes up for sale, but it will likely be a 2 x 2 twill weave Carbon Fiber. I'll try to keep you guys posted on the progress, as for price, still not sure.

So after some calculations, looks like if I make anougher pole and sell it, I would price it between $300-$500. (would depend on if it's 100% CF and which CF pattern or even color) And to be honest at that price my time is worth very little. So lets even say at that range would anyone still be interested? Is it worth putting that amount of money to a JS, more or less just for looks and weight and some bragging rights, (extra weight up front is likely beneficial the way mine "porpoises" and a pole spring can make the stock one feel lighter. Again let me know if to some of you it's still might be worth it. We'll go from there. Thanks

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastgtfairlane's Avatar

sweet pole setup. i think it would be much cooler and worth more money if you did 2 things. made it not so tall, as in a slimmer version that would sit lower in the hood basically. and made it shorter. especially if you could make it shorter. i was planning to do just that to a stock pole i have but i was going to reinforce the stock pole, not go thru the process of making a mold.
    91 440; PJS Viper 7000, jetsport exhaust mani, factory full pipe, coffman waterbox,solas 17*, jetco worked 440 pump, ocean pro nozzles. shredmaster ocean rideplate and grate combo, wide tray, footholds, deep strake mod, driveshaft fill,650sx quick turn

build thread part 1: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=331343
    build thread part 2: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=364872
    build thread part 3: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=396154

Thanks for the suggestions, I did thin the bottom 1/2 of the pole by 1". But it still sits at the same height when it's down, they way the handle pole bracket is set up I'm not sure how that would work. I was planning on lowering the pole bracket into the front by 1" to get the pole to sit lower in the hood, which would also make the pole feel shorter (I think) As for the shortening of the pole, It would have been very do-able, and I had thought of doing it, but I was running out of time and had never ridden 1 so I wasn't sure I wanted to make the mold that way. I have had a few friends thin and shorten their stock pole, most have broken. But I'm sure it's possible.

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by JSrider82 View Post
    So after some calculations, looks like if I make anougher pole and sell it, I would price it between $300-$500. (would depend on if it's 100% CF and which CF pattern or even color) And to be honest at that price my time is worth very little. So lets even say at that range would anyone still be interested? Is it worth putting that amount of money to a JS, more or less just for looks and weight and some bragging rights, (extra weight up front is likely beneficial the way mine "porpoises" and a pole spring can make the stock one feel lighter. Again let me know if to some of you it's still might be worth it. We'll go from there. Thanks
    Great job on the pole. Just wanted to let you know I feel your pain on the part about your time is worth very little. It is really hard to understand all the work that goes into a project like this. I can tell you did your research so go ahead and do vacuum infusion on the next one. Only a few more steps but it will give you all the time you need to get the carbon like you want it.

Thanks! There would be quite a few advantages to doing infusion, Time to set up all the layers of cloth (I landed up doing 2 separate vacuum bagging setups cause I just didn't have the time to put in all layers at once and that was a real pain) and making sure that the vacuum is holding before the epoxy even goes in. (I spent a lot of time trying to find and seal leaks, and 1 time I couldn't get it to seal all the way, that was a little tough on the air compressor I was using to run the vacuum pump.)

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by JSrider82 View Post
    Thanks! There would be quite a few advantages to doing infusion, Time to set up all the layers of cloth (I landed up doing 2 separate vacuum bagging setups cause I just didn't have the time to put in all layers at once and that was a real pain) and making sure that the vacuum is holding before the epoxy even goes in. (I spent a lot of time trying to find and seal leaks, and 1 time I couldn't get it to seal all the way, that was a little tough on the air compressor I was using to run the vacuum pump.)
    For me one of the biggest things with the infusion is it takes all the stress of having to hurry away. Let me know if I can help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information