Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Js550 carbon fiber handle pole ???

Well I'm new to posting, and fairly new to riding, but thought I should post this. So I bought a js550, rode it for a year as it was. Thought I'd learn to ride before I decided to get to work on the ski. Winter rolled around and I decided to work on the cosmetics. The ski ran strong and I didn't feel like I needed to change too much, I widened the tray and made rear exhaust, but I wanted to see if I could make a custom handle pole. So after watching A LOT of youtube videos, and doing a bunch or research and ordering supplies, I started to make the molds for the pole. I disassembled the original pole into the halves. I cut a strip out of the bottom half and glassed it back together, then found that since I had thinned it, it now wasn't wide enough to fit back into the top half. So I cut it down the middle and glassed it back together to the right width. After prepping the halves I did 2 layers of orange gel coat, then 3 layers of glass mat and cloth with fiberglass resin. Once dried I pulled the original out and had my molds. After prepping the molds I spread UV stable Epoxy resin into the mold and stated to lay in the Carbon/Fiberglass cloth (Carbon colour and dyed Fiberglass (green) I was very difficult to lay the cloth in straight and get it to sit nice, the fiberglass weave of the cloth was very stiff and that was the direction I needed it to bend, so we had 3 people trying to lay in this cloth. (As you will see there are definitely some flaws where the cloth bunched) I decided on doing the carbon/green fiberglass cloth on top and then 1 layer of fiberglass mat, then 1 layer of fiberglass cloth, then mat again, then a carbon fiber cloth as my last layer(the inside) I vacuum bagged it and once it was cured I pulled it out of the mold. Trimmed off the excess cloth, sanded and drilled the holes. I had made a flat piece of 7 layers of carbon and fiberglass to cut out and use as the braces inside the pole, I glued a 1-1/4" SCH40 pipe for my cables to run through (next time it will be bigger, just a little tight) I glued everything together. and have ridden it this year, I wanted to wait to post this to see if it would break or snap off. but it hasn't yet. There was A LOT more details to this and this probably took a couple of months (evenings) to get this done, but if someone wants more details let me know and I'll try to explain it more. Sorry I can't figure out how to rotate pics. Let me know what you think, Thanks

IMG_0815.JPG

That is the mold of the thinned bottom half and the original piece that I just took out

IMG_0829.JPG

This is the Vacuum Bagging process

IMG_0830.JPG

This is the bottom half untrimmed

IMG_0870.JPG

Here is the top half untrimmed

IMG_1029.JPG

Finished on the ski !!!!!!!

Re: Js550 carbon fiber handle pole ???

Looks like a great fit!

Looks great!
    2001 XLT1200 (sold):
    1985 JS550

I dream skis

Well done, time we'll spent. Did you weigh it? Would be interested in how it stacks up against the AC racing poles, weight vs strength.

looks awesome!
    Last edited by 89KAW650; 08-09-2017 at 12:59 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

OK so......how much to make me one??
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Top Dog
    Blog Entries

Looks great! Nate_D @ Skiworks composites also makes carbon poles. I think they weigh in at 7lbs:
    https://www.facebook.com/SkiWorks-Co...3899890322548/
    triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

Wow, that Skiworks composites pole looks really good, that Aluminum bushing is a great idea, I might do something like that on my pole when winter comes around. As for the weight, I did weigh it at the time, compared to the original I think it was about 1/2 the weight (but I only weighed the cut and reglassed pole), when the pole is on the ski, the pole settles just onto the hood, (so it still comes down when I fall off) As for Selling...... I don't know if that will happen, I had no experience with carbon or fiberglass before this project, I have no idea if it will stand up to others abuse or mine, so I would feel pretty bad selling them only to find out someone's busted. Also, it definitely wasn't a perfect replica, since I could only "mold" the outside and there were details on the inside of the originals that should/can be added when injection molding is done, so I had to grind a little bit of the handle bracket to fit right. Nothing like the fit and finish of that SkiWorks Pole!!! I suppose if someone was still interested and had time (like a lot of time)I would make others, I would have to do some checking as to price. I might work on a Carbon Fiber hood this winter, get rid of the round air intake and move it to the back-top of the hood, but make it sleeker maybe intakes on both sides? That was the plan for last winter as well, but ran out of time.

Damn that thing is badass. Could make a few extra bucks I know some people on here want one, including myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    93' Kawasaki 550sx

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home cudaben's Avatar

1500$$$ wow... thats like 1400$ in labor and profit. geezzzzeeee.

but your JS pole is sweet, good job. well done. I didn't see anywhere what weight cloth you used.
    Last edited by cudaben; 09-04-2017 at 10:56 PM.
    "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is".

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error"
    - John Kenneth Galbraith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information