Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

Re: 1990 Square Nose SuperJet Build

Quote Originally Posted by Jhucke View Post
    MSD coil is doing nothing but sacrificing reliability. and it's wishful thinking to believe you'll gain anything but a marginal performance gain with an MSD cdi. Those two things alone have to be, what, $400? A nice 61x/61x short block is like $500..... if you don't want to spend the money, stick with a 61x motor. Intake is basically free, and you can use the single 44 carb on your current motor.
    Take off the exhaust on your 650 once and examine the ports on the cylinder and compare them to a 701. It's fairly apparent why no one wants 650s...
    A 650 with a b pipe (the most expensive pipe) will still not have the torque of a bone stock 701. B pipe on a 701 feels like a rocket ship in comparison.
    I understand the MSD coil will not dramatically give me horsepower.... but you are telling me a stock 27 year old coil is better than a brand new msd coil?! I am replacing it due to preventive maintenance not for horsepower gains. I saw it as a little bit better replacement. and the cdi box will work on both the 701 or the 650...and since the 650 rev limiter is lower than the 701's I assumed the msd enhancer cdi box would be good for the 650(BETTER REV LIMIT) and the 701 (if/when I got one)...
    I know about the very safe porting job on the 650 motor, you also don't see ppl blowing the 650 up....they are kinda tanks due to that safe porting and other factors(of course)... I am not disagreeing with that the 701 would be better than a 650 with b pipe, but I was under the impression I would need a 61x(701 complete engine),exhaust, electronics(water tight electrical box), and possibly the larger midshaft housing as well... and you say all that can be had for $500?

I'm really not worried about the price, but finding all that to do it properly. plus didn't want my ski down for the extended period for the first season I bought it... once again hence why all the upgrades I have done so far will go well with the 701 as well.

I dream skis

Quote Originally Posted by lextreme View Post
    I understand the MSD coil will not dramatically give me horsepower.... but you are telling me a stock 27 year old coil is better than a brand new msd coil?! I am replacing it due to preventive maintenance not for horsepower gains. I saw it as a little bit better replacement. and the cdi box will work on both the 701 or the 650...and since the 650 rev limiter is lower than the 701's I assumed the msd enhancer cdi box would be good for the 650(BETTER REV LIMIT) and the 701 (if/when I got one)...
    I know about the very safe porting job on the 650 motor, you also don't see ppl blowing the 650 up....they are kinda tanks due to that safe porting and other factors(of course)... I am not disagreeing with that the 701 would be better than a 650 with b pipe, but I was under the impression I would need a 61x(701 complete engine),exhaust, electronics(water tight electrical box), and possibly the larger midshaft housing as well... and you say all that can be had for $500?

I'm really not worried about the price, but finding all that to do it properly. plus didn't want my ski down for the extended period for the first season I bought it... once again hence why all the upgrades I have done so far will go well with the 701 as well.
    MSD coils are junk. Go with used stock Kawi coil.

Just get a used adjustable rev limit 61x cdi. Especially with a new MSD box, spotty quality. It's your money to blow though.

Are you implying that 701 motors are not "tanks"? because they are.. your 650 is not any more or less reliable than a 701. It's also a power lacking waste of time.

You need the short block, exhaust manifold, intake.. that's it. I bet you could do it for 500 or close to it.

If price is a non-issue, there is 0 reason to stay with a 650.
    1991 Superjet
    2014 Superjet

61x cyl and head and Pistons would do it. 61x cases are almost free tho so...

It will be fun w the 6m6, but a piped and headed 701 is a whole different beast. Honestly they become exhausting with all the pop

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JSNate's Avatar

Enjoy your ski and do as you feel is best for your plans. A 701, be it a 61X or 62T will really increase the performance quite a bit. A great starting point will be an impeller to handle upgrades and put the power to the water. I like the MSD Ignition Enhancers for a many reasons. It is nice when used in combination with a B-Pipe. Not only can it increase the rev limit, but it also advances timing at lower RPM and returns closer to OEM timing as RPM increase. This is a nice way to exaggerate low end hit and safely return timing as RPM increases.
    Last edited by JSNate; 08-03-2017 at 11:21 AM.

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by JSNate View Post
    Enjoy your ski and do as you feel is best for your plans. A 701, be it a 61X or 62T will really increase the performance quite a bit. A great starting point will be an impeller to handle upgrades and put the power to the water. I like the MSD Ignition Enhancers for a many reasons. It is nice when used in combination with a B-Pipe. Not only can it increase the rev limit, but it also advances timing at lower RPM and returns closer to OEM timing as RPM increase. This is a nice way to exaggerate low end hit and safely return timing as RPM increases.

Thanks I plan to enjoy the ski as it is for this season.. more than likely I'll buy a 701 to swap out before I winterize it this year... My only issue is the price if a bpipe is half the amount I will get for the entire ski if I ever did sell... Are there any 701 exhausts that are good but don't cost half the ski?! Lol

I hear good things about the Riva pipe and they are considerably less expensive. I rode a friends SN 701 61x that had the Pro-Tec kit that included a pipe and head. It ran really well and considerably better than a stock 701.

Whatever pipe you purchase, you can always retain it for the next ski or sell it individually. Pipes tend to be safe investments as you can always get your money back.

I dream skis

Quote Originally Posted by lextreme View Post
    Thanks I plan to enjoy the ski as it is for this season.. more than likely I'll buy a 701 to swap out before I winterize it this year... My only issue is the price if a bpipe is half the amount I will get for the entire ski if I ever did sell... Are there any 701 exhausts that are good but don't cost half the ski?! Lol
    Save the stock exhaust and part with the b pipe if you ever sell it. There are many exhausts that perform very well contrary to what you'll hear forum people say. It is true that FPP is by far the best, but you might be interested in a Coffman sizzler which will have similar characteristics, but I have ridden other peoples boats where the sizzler not so good (No low or mid range hit).. I've personally ran an old style stainless chamber Protec DBP pipe when I was in the same shoes as you a couple of years ago. It had 2" added to the mid section of the chamber and the entire power range was drastically improved with a notably hard hit in the low/mid range. It was very impressive considering I only payed $175 for the whole pipe.. You won't find a deal like that, though.
    1991 Superjet
    2014 Superjet

PWCToday Regular

What is everyone thoughts/ opinion on the protec mach 1 exhaust for the 701(61x)? possibly purchasing 61x from someone very soon....

Pro-Tec pipe with a 701 61X will be a nice running machine. The impeller needs to be upgraded from the OEM 650 SN to get best results.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information