• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeolian
    PWCToday Regular
    • Aug 2011

4tec code p1116

Morning All, been a while since I posted anything. I have just purchased 2 2010 GTI SE 130's. They are in great shape and run well. The only problem is 1 ski I can ride wide open for 20mins and get a p1116 and the temp light will flash. Shut it down wait maybe 30 seconds and fire it up, always starts and runs for maybe another 20 mins, same thing again. I've done my research but am unclear as to definition of the code, seems everyone interprets it different. I take it as communication between CTS and the MPEM, not consistent or the CTS is sending wrong info. I don't think it's overheating B/C I don't think I could cool it down from a WOT run for 30 seconds and open it back up for another 20 mins. Any thoughts would be great. Been working on skis for years, I'm not afraid to do a head gasket. Before I spend $150 and 1/2 day replacing it I want to make sure that's what it is.
  • robsaus
    PWCToday Guru
    • May 2012

Re: 4tec code p1116

check for corrosion on the pins at the connector. if they look good change the temp sensor. Are you losing any antifreeze? Before I would do a head gasket I would do a pressure test on the system and make sure its that. I have to replace a lot of the temp sensors every year on customers machines. and find the pins corroded. a tiny bit wi;; cause a bad reading and put it into limp mode. Rob
    Owner Operator of:
    RLS Motorwork's 850-226-2748

Currently Riding
    2006 Sea Doo RXP 215 minor mods 73.2 MPH GPS
    2004 Sea Doo GTX Limited 185 SC 63 MPH GPS
    2006 Sea Doo GTI SE 130. 56 MPH GPS
    1997 Sea Doo Sportster 717 37 MPH GPS

Working on
    What ever customers drop off.

Comment

• aeolian
      PWCToday Regular
      • Aug 2011

Thanks Rob. Checked the bottle yesterday afternoon and was still above the min line. Was about halfway between min and max. So, I think will check all the pis in the connector and change the temp sensor. Also the ski's where rentals in their past life and the ride plate is real corroded. The one that operates normally has a new ride plate. I have the pressure test tool will do that also just to make sure. I am assuming after a 3hour ride that if I was leaking antifreeze it would have all leaked out. Correct?

Comment

• robsaus
        PWCToday Guru
        • May 2012

yes it would have leaked some out.
        Owner Operator of:
        RLS Motorwork's 850-226-2748

Currently Riding
        2006 Sea Doo RXP 215 minor mods 73.2 MPH GPS
        2004 Sea Doo GTX Limited 185 SC 63 MPH GPS
        2006 Sea Doo GTI SE 130. 56 MPH GPS
        1997 Sea Doo Sportster 717 37 MPH GPS

Working on
        What ever customers drop off.

Comment

• Sev1n
          Frequent Poster
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by aeolian View Post
          Thanks Rob. Checked the bottle yesterday afternoon and was still above the min line. Was about halfway between min and max. So, I think will check all the pis in the connector and change the temp sensor. Also the ski's where rentals in their past life and the ride plate is real corroded. The one that operates normally has a new ride plate. I have the pressure test tool will do that also just to make sure. I am assuming after a 3hour ride that if I was leaking antifreeze it would have all leaked out. Correct?
          does the ski have around 300 hours?

Comment

• aeolian
            PWCToday Regular
            • Aug 2011

I'm going to assume it does. When I bought it there was a new display put in it that showed 7 hours. The other matching one shows 370? hours if I remember without looking at it.

Comment

• Sev1n
              Frequent Poster
              • Aug 2015

Ive had a few 4 tec now, after changing all the temp sensors ect, have a bad rideplate. But only at 275 + hours.Wide ipen throttle would trip code, but if you plug it into a computer there is no code. The ride plate has aome groves in it, and its actually a 2 piece design. Over time it warps and under hard throttle the coolant "skips" over the cooling channels and goes back into the motor. Id try a ride plate, they suck to change you need a small jack to press it off.
              Last edited by Sev1n; 08-02-2017, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Sev1n
                Frequent Poster
                • Aug 2015

The code is actually a consumer warning code, thats why it puts it into a restricted rpm, then once cool allows full rpm, without ever leaving a code on the ecm

Comment

• aeolian
                  PWCToday Regular
                  • Aug 2011

I have 2 matching GTI SE 130's. The one that's running well has a new ride plate. The one that's throwing the code has a ride plate that is so corroded there's no square edges on it. Looks awful. I'll bet that's the problem.

Comment

• aeolian
                    PWCToday Regular
                    • Aug 2011

Acquired a ride plate today from a 40hr fresh water ski. Will change in the next few days and keep updating.

Comment

• aeolian
                      PWCToday Regular
                      • Aug 2011

Just want to give everyone an update. The new ride plate/heat exchanger did the trick. Ran the ski yesterday for about 4 hours and ran perfectly! Was pretty simple to change. Also to remove the hose nipples from inside the ski I couldn't find the Socket size anywhere. It's a 32mm deep! for anyone that's wondering. The hardest part was removing the old sealant. Want to thank Sev1n!

Comment

Working...
                      X