Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Wont Start even with prime

Hello,

I did not get to run my 94 Monte Carlo last season but it was winterized. I put it in the water last week and it started up, I idled around the dock and it stalled and would not restart. The current carried me away and I had to walk back to the dock. I figured the old gas was probably to blame. I drained the gas took the carb off cleaned it out. Put a new fuel filter on. It still won't start. Even when primed with 2 stroke gas it won't even kick. I can see spark in each plug and feel some compression in each cylinder if I put my finger over it. I don't have a compression gauge for a proper test. If I put my hand over the throttle body I do fee some suction. Any ideas where to start? Its a little frustrating that it won't even kick.

Thanks!

Dan

Re: Wont Start even with prime

New plugs maybe

PWCToday Newbie

I forgot to mention that I put plugs in, but I am starting to think this might be a spark issue. Assuming I didn't blow compression idling about and I'm feeding it fuel, spark seems the logical place.

PWCToday Newbie

After ignoring the boat for a few weeks I went in the garage today and it started right up. I put it in the water and it decided not to run. So now I am suspecting water is getting into the engine. I took off the head and saw some oily water down in the exhaust port. I am imagining it is a head gasket. What else could lead to the water in the exhaust port?

It would run like that, if a cyl is pulling water it will be spotlessly clean

PWCToday Newbie

I'm sorry do you mean it would still run if it was pulling in water? One cylinder is notably cleaner then the other although I would not call it 'spotless'

The carb needle valves might be stuck. You can just insert a paper clip in the Regulator vent hole and push on the diaphragm center disc to try to break it free...Hard Starting After Storage Carb Tip.jpg

Thread Information