Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Tall Rider - Racing Stand up Skis

Hello all! I'm completely new to this forum and forgive me if I'm in the right thread. This is a slightly new sport for me. I've ridden jet skis before but have never owned one. I'm coming from the motorcycle road racing world and have raced for many years and wanted to try something new. I am interested in PWC racing (I know that I'll need lots of practice before attempting this). I'm open to the various styles but I really like the idea of racing standup skis but I'm wondering if my size would be an issue as far as being competitive. I'm 6'4 228 lbs. I would love hear if anyone has any experience being a larger rider and being competitive. I really appreciate any advice........

Re: Tall Rider - Racing Stand up Skis

Welcome to the site and the addiction. Guy your size, I would suggest the 2003-2011 Kawasaki SXR 800 2-stroke or the new SXR-1500 4 stroke. All depends on your budget.

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. That makes sense. I wonder how competitive I could be (skill level aside) on an 800 at my size. I really like the price range. But I would be open to move up if it give me more of a fair shot

Only one way to find out! Lol. Hopefully some bigger racers will chime in from their experience in the Amateur "Ski Stock" or "Ski Lites" class. The classes are all relative to the amount of racers in your region. Almost every class imaginable is offered at World Finals in Havasu, AZ. Have you visited the IJSBA ( sanctioning body) website yet? If no one responds here, try putting a post up in the general racing section.

Frequent Poster

I used to race back in the early 1990's in the Novice 550 Limited and X2 Limited classes. I am 6'-6" and, at the time, I weighed 225 lbs. I found it difficult to be competitive against riders that weighed less than me. I recall one event where a young rider who weighed about 100 lbs. ran his first race and he was so fast that he beat everyone to the first turn buoy and won the race by a wide margin. Regardless, I still had a lot of fun competing against the other riders.

PWCToday Newbie

Yea, I heard that those 550 stand ups don't quite have enough juice to make guys our size competitive. I thought about getting one of those to practice on. I'm hoping that the 800 would be a good place to start and still be competitive enough to make it worth the effort since its more affordable. I'm in the mid west so it looks like P1 Aquax would be a good league as well as the east coast watercross. I had a similar issue with motorcycle road racing. The smaller guys just have more of an advantage especially with the smaller machines. I really appreciate all the help. I may post something in the racing session to reach more people in that sport. Just trying to get as much information as I can

Frequent Poster

Given your size (weight), IMO you would be a better fit on an SXR 1500.
    '16 Seadoo GTX155 / depth finder, ski pylon and ski mode module added
    '18 Kawasaki STX15F

Thread Information