Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

picked up a 2nd 95 sl750 for $600US

I've had my 95 SL750 for about 5 years now (along with my 95 Seadoo and 2 Yamaha waverunners). Some of you may notice I have a thread right now as I just destroyed another piston in my existing Polaris. Thought I'd check the local craigslist to see if anyone had a Polaris ski for parts and to my surprise I found a perfectly running and ready-to-go 95 SL750 for $800CDN (that is about $600US). Has no trailer, but the unit itself looks clean both inside and out. Bought it - will lake test it soon.

Just curious - what's a running 95 SL750 worth in general - is this a great deal or more like average?

Thanks

PWCToday Regular

Re: picked up a 2nd 95 sl750 for $600US

Oh, forgot to ask another question.

How can I tell for sure the year of my new ski? The PO didn't have the registration so we just did a bill of sale. He said it is a 95, but has a few differences from my other SL750. Yes, this new one is the SL750 (has the decals and the engine is the same as my other one). But the graphics are different colors and this one has manual gauges on the steering along with a fuel dial to change from reg to reserve - my other one has the fuel reserve on the right side and has the MFD digial display with no manual gauges. Can I tell by the serial number?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home TMali's Avatar

I sold my 1995 SLT750 with 100hours for $300

But thats because i didnt want to deal with it, i got it as a package deal

PWCToday Regular

Check ebay, they're worth a lot more parted out. Though SL 750 was my first ski, I hate to see them killed off. I rode it constantly in the era of $1.20 gas, several times a week at least. We sold it and someone is still riding it constantly every week end and it's still going strong.
    90 Superjet, 98 Polaris Pro 785, 95/92 Kawasaki 750 sxi, 01 Polaris 600 sc xp

PWCToday Regular

Well, learnt a few things. #1 - it is a 93 (no big deal) instead of a 95. #2 - some guys are real ashwholes and have no ethics or respect for themselves - the guy said he ran it a few weeks ago no issue but battery was dead so when I picked it up I couldnt start it - the guy said it ran 100% - anyway just put in a battery and tested compression - C and P are at 125 (which is good) but M is zero - I'll take of the cylinder later today but pritty sure it is a burnt piston.

I know I couldn't screw someone around like that - have to much respect and dignity I guess.

I guess on the good side the unit already has the triple fuel pump, and the guy said the carbs were rebuilt about a year ago (but who knows if this is true now). If it is just a piston and some carb tuning, I will get this going cheap enough but sucks cause I need to get the pistons from ebay which take a few weeks (no local shops have these and the ones that can order them in will still take a week and cost double from ebay).

Will provide update once I get the cylinder off.

Thanks

PWCToday Regular

OK, got the cylinder head/cover off - here are the pics. You will see the piston has some edges gone and the entire top of the piston (and cylinder head surface) is very pimply (not smooth) - based on the pics what does this suggest - is that from running it too lean?

I have 2 questions now:

1) I have not yet removed the cylinder as I'm having a hard time accessing the 3 bolts that connect to the exhaust pipe thingy - is there a trick to get to these bolts? Do I have to remove that exhaust thingy? If so I see 4 bolts on the top and then a rubber hose attached to a clamp on the bottom - is that all there is to remove that exhaust thingy?

2) assuming the cylinder wall is OK can rod, can that cylinder head be reused with the pimply surface? Can I just smoothen it out with sand paper - does it have to be smooth? What would the effect be if I reused this head with a new piston?

413481279.jpg

413481280.jpg

Thanks
    Last edited by DanDaMan; 07-25-2017 at 05:52 PM.

PWCToday Regular

BTW - I tried calling the seller as his ad (which I saved) said the compression was excellent on all cylinders and it ran great. He answered but hung up on me after I informed him of the issue (or his battery died). I then texted him the details and he basically said too bad it was as-is.

What would you do in this situation. It isn't the money as I likely would have bought if I knew but likely hagled him down a few hundred more - it is the principal. I'm not gonna waste my time in small claims court although I'd win based on his ad, but I'm just pissed off. Should I just reply to the ashwhole on text and call him out to what he is, or just leave it and go on, or egg his house (kiddin - or am I).

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home don37725's Avatar

I sold a ski 2 days ago, Sunday - Even though I sold it as is ( after he test drove it) the money will sit in my drawer for a few days to a week - I jokingly tell buyers I offer a choice of guarantees - The EOD (end of driveway) or the sympathy guarantee whereby, if they call with a problem, I will say I'm sorry to hear that (sympathy) - In reality if the buyer runs into a problem within a few days I will do whatever is reasonable to make it right - I will not make an enemy over a few hundred $$ adjustment - On Sunday I move on and all bets are off, the sympathy guarantee firmly applies.

Having said that you have to blame yourself for not at least doing a compression test or taking it for a ride - Knowing you could not due to the old "bad starter" excuse you should have only paid a non running parts price - I had a seller go so far as to unbolt a perfectly good starter and leave it laying under the motor where it could not be seen, to hide bad compression - I paid a parts price and made a profit - no need to call him and tell him he was a scum bag - He already knew that.
    Last edited by don37725; 07-25-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner***
    *******************Liberty is a well-armed lamb.*****************

**********Lotteries are created by those who understand math**********
    ***************to take advantage of those who do not****************

***************As government expands, liberty contracts**************

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home delagem's Avatar

Bad news. That damage on the top of the piston and head is symptomatic of debris damage. Likely your crank bearings are coming apart from someone leaving water in the bottom end in the past. You'll need to take the motor apart and check what's causing the debris damage.

As you now know, the HIN's last 2 digits are the year of manufacture.

Two things to note on the '93 (and the '92). They used a 3 piece intake manifold. So any time you take off the intake manifolds, you have to "align" them. If you don't, the three won't be in perfect parallel, you'll have an air leak, and you'll likely burn a hole in a piston in pretty short order. There is a flat stainless plate that's part of the carb mount that is used for this. Get an OEM Polaris manual, it's explained well; the aftermarket manuals don't mention this at all.

Also, those earlier years absolutely must be winterized. The way the cooling system is designed, water is trapped in the bottom end. If left there in freezing temps, it will crack the block. Or, it's easy enough to eliminate where the water was circulated through the bottom of the motor. From 94 or 95 on up they didn't pass water thru the bottom of the motor. You won't damage anything by eliminating it.

Good luck.

Michael
    '58 Vincent Amanda Water Scooter, 0rpm, 0mph

'84 SurfJet 236ss Freestyle, 5950rpm, 24.6 mph

'91 Jetmate! SX-R 800,GroupK carbs,R&D 26cc head,R&D ProLok F/A, Coffman Rocket Pipe,Impros 13-20,76mm nozzle: 6630rpm and 38.1mph GPS

'92 SL650/750, dry pipe,extended pump,trim,HotSeat Waterbox: 6320rpm, 50.1 mph

'00 SLX,Tau Ceti F/A's,NuJet prop: 6670rpm, 63.1 mph

'03 Octane, Watcon 2318 CDI

'04 MSX140,Impros stage 2 Powertune 14/23,WetWolf,6deg wedge: 6750rpm, 60.5 mph

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    Likely your crank bearings are coming apart from someone leaving water in the bottom end in the past.

Also, those earlier years absolutely must be winterized. The way the cooling system is designed, water is trapped in the bottom end. If left there in freezing temps, it will crack the block. Or, it's easy enough to eliminate where the water was circulated through the bottom of the motor
    What do you mean by the PO possibly leaving water at the bottom of the past - are you referring to poor winterization and leaving it out in the winter with water in the crank? Please elaborate.

As for winterizing, this definately will be important in about 2 months as I'm in Calgary and we get a cold winter and store my skis outside. For my other sl750 (the 95) I would basically just run it out of the water for about 20 seconds and do it a few times with cooling in between - I was told this is sufficient to get all water out - I would then disconnect battery and thats it. What exactly do I need to do to the 93 to winterize it?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information