• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • E350
    I dream skis
    • Jul 2015

1988 650cm X2 Hull Design

This is only my second season riding, and I am still a hack at it, but getting better.

My experience is limited to my wife's 1976 js300 former 440-superstock (now with a rear seized piston) and our '94 SN Superjet and our 550sx (with 184 compression). Here's my hull preference. I prefer the hull of the Superjet the least. The 550sx the next. And the X2 the best.*

Although I love the low end pull-you-out-of-a-turn (even a badly executed turn) power of the 701cm Superjet, I just don't like the hull. It feels heavy to me and does not respond well to my (likely poor) body English.

The 550sx is a handfull straight-lining at WOT with any chop whatsoever.

The X2 is a delight at straight-lining at WOT but is still entirely flickable! Just like the 550sx, I can either rotate the X2 by sliding the tail flat and then accelerating out of the turn, or I can dig in the inside rear corner of the tray and pivot into a carve and out of the turn. I like it.

But I don't like the fixed pole setup of the X2. My neck is sore from being hunched over. I am becoming bowlegged from mounting it. I think I prefer a movable pole ski with a true stand up tray like the 440, 550 or SJ.

So my question to you guys is: Did Kawasaki put the X2 hull or something like that on any of its other skis, like maybe the 650? or the 750? or whatever?

* Because I am a noobie rider (and maybe because I am also an alpine ski instructor of 20 years), I lean to initiate a turn with my body and then I can correct a poorly initiated turn with only body English. This style is to my mind "anticipatory."

In contrast, I always get thrown off the Superjet, because in my limited experience you turn it with the handlebars and then only lean to accommodate the turn that the well designed hull/nozzle combo defines. This style is to my mind "reactionary."

But here's the real deal. I don't have enough experience yet to know what I will eventually prefer as my skills grow... But I would like your input as to the X2 hull design and also what skis to try next.
    Last edited by E350; 07-19-2017, 12:24 PM.
    Learning Slowly...
  • runrider
    Resident Guru
    • Jul 2010

Re: 1988 650cm X2 Hull Design

Nope. The bottom half of the x2 was only used on x2. Even it's sister, the 650sx, is significantly different. If you like the way it rides but get a sore neck, you can modify the riding position by changing the bars or the riding area to your liking.

Comment

• waterhappy
      I dream skis
      • Jul 2009

Time riding will get rid of soreness, takes time to learn how to ride an X2. Taller bars would work but for racing you want a shorter stem.
      God, family and ski's.

650sx
      850sxr a/m
      650X2

Comment

• E350
        I dream skis
        • Jul 2015

Thanks guys. I am getting used to it. "Bendz za kneez, $5 pleaz." Being knee bent on front and back foot and on balls of toes helps at speed. Leaning forward with both legs straight back helps.

Riding down and cutting back up and pivoting and then accelerating down 8-10' long peak to peak, 3-4' foot high trough to peak wake boat waves totally takes my mind off that neck pain. Especially when the first peak is sharp like a pyramid and you are trying to slow down to drop onto/into the wave rather than launch off the top to land in the trough.

Other issues occurred this evening.
        Last edited by E350; 09-16-2017, 10:08 PM.
        Learning Slowly...

Comment

Working...
        X