Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: New project time again!

Quote Originally Posted by Associated98 View Post
    Just dinked around with the daytona a little. Turned out to just be a stuck starter. Rebuilt that and got a good starter, now its turning over. Compression is good, pto side first its 140:135:135. Squirted a tiny bit of gas down the manifolds and it popped right off. In the process of yanking the motor to put into the 1000r but the bloody idiots that owned this before me tried to weld the driveshaft to the engine coupler. Obviously didn't work but now the driveshaft is stuck inside the coupler so I can't get the engine out. Frekin idiots...

How were you able to determine it was a stuck starter? I have a 1999 Tigershark 900 That is just clicking at the solenoid. Engine moves freely if I pull plugs and force engine around using screwdriver. I tried jumping power from one side of solenoid to the other.... Sorry to hijack...

The electrical systems on all the sharks are incredibly simple. There isnt a magic wizard inside that black box casting spells to make everything work. All that box is is a giant junction for all the connectors/wires. Not even a single circuit board on these things. The clicking means the solenoid is good, and the entire system is functioning if its responding to the start/stop/bilge/trim switch. This means all you have left to check is the positive starter lead, and since that is usually good then the starter its self is all thats left. Pull it out and take it apart. Its a 50/50 if you can get it to work again. Usually smarter and easier to just replace it rather than waste time trying to fix a rusty one. Also nice to have a guarantee of a working starter and not get stranded on the water.
    Own:
    99' TS770R
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    Owned:
    94' Montego (my first) sold
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Daytona (the one that got away...) sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold
    97' Daytona 1000 clean and beautiful. You will be missed.

Soooo I kind of jumped the gun and went ahead and finished the 1000R. Waaaaaaaaay to much BS happened to sit and explain everything I just went threw with this ski but long story short I finally reached and passed my breaking point with these skis. I can not believe someone was actually payed in actual dollars to engineer something like these skis. They must have let their kid do the work while they smoked a bunch weed or something. My god a PITA to say the least. But I rode it today. I felt like I was on a rocket ship. The acceleration and pull threw the mid range was incredible. Top speed had to be in the very low 60s. The speedo was pegged the whole time. Must be a brand new wear ring and impeller. Ski is amazing and cant wait to ride some more! It was making the same scratching noises that my 770R was making before it threw out the floating bearing. Needs an alignment.
    Own:
    99' TS770R
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    Owned:
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by rdjeep View Post
    I had a long-term slow oil leak on my 98 770. Took forever to find that it was the hose clamp on the oil inlet to the pump. There clamp wasn't quite the right size to really bite down. Oil worked its way in between the liner and inside surface of the hull through the mastic expulsion holes in the liner.
    rdjeep, i just created a thread on this, i have 2 1996's 770's and from day 1 we've always had a slow oil leak into the hull and could never find where the oil was leaking from. Over the winter each machine would get maybe about 1cup of oil in the hull.

Where about's can i find this hose clamp you had to replace or tighten down?

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Associated98 View Post
    The electrical systems on all the sharks are incredibly simple. There isnt a magic wizard inside that black box casting spells to make everything work. All that box is is a giant junction for all the connectors/wires. Not even a single circuit board on these things. The clicking means the solenoid is good, and the entire system is functioning if its responding to the start/stop/bilge/trim switch. This means all you have left to check is the positive starter lead, and since that is usually good then the starter its self is all thats left. Pull it out and take it apart. Its a 50/50 if you can get it to work again. Usually smarter and easier to just replace it rather than waste time trying to fix a rusty one. Also nice to have a guarantee of a working starter and not get stranded on the water.

Thanks for the response. If you can share any tips on removing the starter it would be appreciated. I have a factory engine manual, but nothing in there explains removal and installation. It looks to be fairly tight... do you have to remove the carb or can you get at it from above without removing everything?

Also, awesome you got yours running. I'm really hoping mine will run as well!

Strip it down. Unfortunately with this motor its the only way. All three carbs must go and the mag and center intake manifolds must go. Then be absolutely careful when taking the starter out as there is a small piece in between the starter and crankcase on the bolt holes. If you drop this you will never get it back out with out pulling the engine off of the bed plate. Best advice I can give is take your time, be very patient, and remove anything around the starter because again you do not want to drop anything. It will become part of the hull if you do.
    Own:
    99' TS770R
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    Owned:
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold

Curious question guys, I seem to be having one of those intermittent gremlins with my 1000R. On the trailer, occasionally, if I giver the beans and let it wind out, when the engine is coasting back to idle it will suddenly shut off like the kill switch was pressed. (Obviously losing spark). It always starts up immediately afterwards and runs normal again until you rev it out again. It only does this occasionally. Then yesterday when I had it out, it did while running at wot. I was cruising around 6800 rpm and it dyed out of the blue. Took a minute to start again but then ran fine the rest of the ride (about another half hour). What could this be? My flywheel was covered in rust, but i used a wire brush and cleaned it all up. I put a different clean stator in when I installed it. Runs beautifully otherwise. My plug colors are also not right. The mag is black and oily like it should be, but the center and pto plugs are almost completely dry with a bare metal tip. (It just looks like bare metal does.) I wouldnt say they look new and clean, more so like a piece of galvanized steel. All cylinders are running normal temps.
    Own:
    99' TS770R
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    Owned:
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold

sometimes the start/stop switch can get corroded and cause cut outs, but if your plugs aren't going light brown you are running lean..

Wow! That 98 1000 is super clean. A cutting pad and some polish will get those scratches out. My 97 Daytona was in a lot worst shape than your 98' and it came out respectable again. Good luck!
    04' Shorelander Double Trailer
    98' Sea Doo SPX Mint
    96' Sea Doo HX Mint
    95' Sea Doo XP800 Mint
    95' Sea Doo XP800 - Rescue project (almost done)
    99' Sea Doo XPL - rescue (project on hold)
    97' Tigershark Daytona 1000 - Another rescue project (see videos below)
    My Jet Ski videos below.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...wmp0jqpvLFpgmZ

Thanks. Ive been rubbing mequires #49 oxidation/scratch remover into it and it hides them a little bid, but doesn't get rid of them, and i cant use my buffer on the decals. But from a few feet away you cant tell. Heres a pic. of it from monday, and one of the spot ive been working on.

IMAG0740.jpg
    IMAG0708.jpg
    Own:
    99' TS770R
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    Owned:
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information