• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDMEFn
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Sep 2013

98 seadoo gsx limited intermittent starting issue tried everything

So i have replaced/tested everything I can possibly think of on this thing... I put key on dess post with no beeps. Beeper hasn't worked in years. Sometimes it starts and doesn't have issue for hours. Never has turned off in it's own. When it will not start, I have tested wiring going to solenoid, and no voltage. Jumping out solenoid obviously makes engine turn over. I have tested dess post at the mpem, replaced post, replaced mpem, verified continuity on every fuse on the ski, verified power and grnds at mpem, verified connection to solenoid signal wire. I am lost at this point. I have regrounded everything on the entire ski. I live in Richmond, va and there isn't even a shop around here competent enough to program a key
  • JDMEFn
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Sep 2013

Re: 98 seadoo gsx limited intermittent starting issue tried everything

Start/stop switch tested correct everytime, even in no start condition. Gauges come on as soon as key is out on post, as well. Every single time I hit start/stop button I hear rave solenoid cycle. Thought it was starter solenoid at first but I verified no voltage on signal side when depressing start button. Also verified ground to solenoid signal, coil, mpem

Comment

• JDMEFn
      PWCToday Newbie
      • Sep 2013

Honestly I'm thinking of just wiring it for Microsquirt ignition side only or electromotive xdi unit and running 787 rectifier back to battery. This ski just seems unfixable with mpem

Comment

• JDMEFn
        PWCToday Newbie
        • Sep 2013

So as an update... I realized I was reviewing 98 gsx wiring diagram, not the 5625 97.5. I noticed there was something called an amplifier that the dess post runs through. Wires were stretched tight, almost ripped out. After jiggling them around I heard my rave valve solenoid cycling repeatedly. Replaced the amplifier and seems to be fine now. Of course the problem is intermittent, so I'll find out for sure this weekend. Does this seem logical Or have y'all ever heard of this?

Comment

• JDMEFn
          PWCToday Newbie
          • Sep 2013

Good talk lol!

Comment

• Myself
            PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
            • Jun 2006

Lol, sometimes you need to talk it out.
            http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
            +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
            ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
            light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Comment

• JDMEFn
              PWCToday Newbie
              • Sep 2013

So that didn't fix it... I'm ****ing lost... any ideas?

Comment

• Myself
                • Jun 2006

The 951 setup does goofy things with a bad battery. It sounds like you have a flaky mpem but i would try a new AGM battery first.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
                +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Comment

• JDMEFn
                  PWCToday Newbie
                  • Sep 2013

Thanks for the reply, I have tried new battery (12.8 volts) and replaced mpem ($420) with new key and EXACT same issue. Man, I hate the intermittent problem...

Comment

• wmazz
                    • Jul 2013

Does it make a clattering sound while it is running?

Originally posted by JDMEFn View Post
                    Sometimes it starts and doesn't have issue for hours.
                    What issue? Does the engine stop for seemingly no reason??

Originally posted by JDMEFn View Post
                    Never has turned off in it's own.
                    Do you mean that the engine keeps running after you pull the lanyard or hit the kill
                    button?

Bill M.
                    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

Comment

• JDMEFn
                      PWCToday Newbie
                      • Sep 2013

No, once the engine is running there is absolutely no issues. Only happens when i put key on and try to start

Comment

• JDMEFn
                        PWCToday Newbie
                        • Sep 2013

Any ideas??? It is totalled at this point in my opinion

Comment

• JDMEFn
                          PWCToday Newbie
                          • Sep 2013

It's good to know how useless this forum really is

Comment

• Myself
                            • Jun 2006

There is a slight possibility its losing main power through a corroded fuse holder in rear box or even the wiring itself. If the rear box and fuse holder are clean with no corrosion i would ohm each end of the wiring going into the rear box and perform the wiggle test. Could have a broken wire inside the insulation. I just replaced a wiring harness this weekend on an '08 yamaha because of broken/bad wires intermittenly not powering the fuse center.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

Comment

• JDMEFn
                              PWCToday Newbie
                              • Sep 2013

That's a good call. I have only verified power and ground at mpem with multimeter. Could have a weak ground bc of coroded wiring. Although it looks good, I will run new ground to mpem and power wire from 15 amp fuse. Thanks for your input, I have been getting frustrated with this ski as you can tell lol

Comment

Working...
                              X