Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

PROJECT SXR / 900ace (thread redo)

First off, Photobucket sucks!!
    I have to redo this whole thread cuz of them. So I will short recap of the old thread.
    A little cut and pasting and back on track....

Starting a new project. The title kind of says it...A Spark motor in an SXR.
    I recently rode the new SXR 1500. I got to admit, it was pretty awesome! Super fast!, Super acceleration!, Super big!
    Riding the big 1500, has me craving a regular sized SXR, that's "all" lake legal. (Tahoe is 20 minutes from me)
    Besides, that 1500 scared me a little bit...lol.

So, a 110 torquey hp in a light weight SXR hull, should be just fine? If not, there is always those turbo kits.

First off, I got lucky, and a doner ski popped up right when I started pondering this build. I took it as a sign, and bought it right away.
    Sold off most off the parts I don't need and made back all but a few dollars. so, basically a free motor and electronics!!

As pretty as this ski is...there is a hole in the other side, big enough for me to crawl into!

Motor, ready to go. Super low hours, Super clean, Pretty damn heavy.

By my calculations, using a light weight hull (fiberglass, not CF) and not having the expansion chamber....should get me close to 1100 SXR weight, or maybe even less??
    There is also quite a few other items I wont need, to save poundage. Fingers crossed. I chose a fiberglass version for durability in the long run

Anyways, I'd appreciate opinions on pump size, impeller pitches etc....and anything else you guys can throw my way.
    I'll try and post a whole lot of pics (like always)
    This should be fun!

Pics from a few weeks ago....

Fresh out of the mold. Hasn't even been cleaned up yet.

What's nice is, this hull will be sent to me un-bonded. That will definitely make life easy for the first part of the build! (Motor, driveline, pump part)
    Also nice knowing I can do whatever I want with exhaust, waterlines and cable tubes...ahhh, some of the build stress already going away

This is a standard SXR hull bottom with a slight cut-back on the rear (where the exhaust and drain plug are). I'm hoping that makes it a little more playful in the waves. The top is SXR from the handlepole mount back. The nose is a little different...doesn't need a nose cowl/cover. (kinda superjet-ish, without the gascap). Hood shell/liner seems to be SXR.
    Way back when I was hunting for a used SXR hull, a guy from this sight pm'd me saying he could make me a hull. We got to talking, he sent me some pictures of stuff he had done, We talked about what I wanted, colors, fiberglass or carbon fiber, price, etc. I took a chance, sent half of the money (PayPal business to protect myself...) The other half on finish. He did an awesome job! Mind you, it is an unbonded, "in the rough" hull. It will need a good wax job. No wet sanding needed. Great deal for the price!!
    Not sure who made the molds, or what brand they are?

He and some of his friends are watching this thread. So if you are interested in a hull, either mention it here or pm me and I'll pass it on to him.

I called at the last minute, while he was building the hull, and had him change the hood from fiberglass to carbon fiber. I'm glad I did...the hood weighs nothing! It should all help out with the top-heavy Spark motor.

Carbon fiber hood liner...

fire wall...

I made a flat platform for the motor so I could measure from the bottom of the motor mounts to the bottom of the motor.

That way I could make these templates. A "male" and a "female" template... One set for the front of the motor and one set for the back.

The top edge of the male templates are dead even with the bottom of the motor mounts. This way I can gage the clearance of the motor bottom to hull, when I set the height of the motor mount inserts. Make sense? Lol
    I had to order a bunch more aluminum stock for mount plates and future brackets.. Also talking with Shane at Blowsion....I will be purchasing everything from them...short of fabricated parts. I already gave him a big list of stuff! I like those guys...

Well, that's about as far as I got with this build...before Photobucket screwed the whole world.
    Minus everyone's comments, of coarse.

So, continuing on.....
    2017 Jet Jam Racing "Region 2" Sport GP Champion

Thanks 2017 sponsors....

Reno KTM
    DirtTricks
    Reno / Tahoe Watercraft Connection
    Hunt & Sons / VP Racing Fuels
    Garate Enterprises (The Powder Man)
    On the Mark Construction, Reno NV

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Re: PROJECT SXR / 900ace (thread redo)

Nice !!

Update

Got aluminum stock for motor mount plates and other mount plates.
    Got 2 part epoxy glue to set plates.
    Got a huge $4000.00 box of goodies coming from Blowsion...yeah, I know.

If anyone is curious, I'm in this project so far around $5200. That doesn't mean the hull was $1200...It means I made a $hitload back on parting out the Spark pieces!!
    If the last of the Spark parts sell...I might get another $500 to put towards the project??

My project budget was $8000, I'm at $5200. The last of the big ticket items are impeller and driveshaft. The rest is fabrication and small things. I know the small things can add up real quick, though!
    I'm hoping the last $2800 will cover it

Thanks 2017 sponsors....

Reno KTM
    DirtTricks

More pics of inside of hull....

Hood opening marked in hull...

All this vvvv has to fit in there

extra unwanted pic vvv...lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RIDEH2O; 07-08-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks 2017 sponsors....

Reno KTM
    DirtTricks

Got half of everything today. Its like Xmas!
    Still to come...Mag pump and Blowsion custom parts

Didnt get much done over the weekend....we were busy having fun at the races. Zack did awesome!! The HX is running great!!

Thanks 2017 sponsors....

Reno KTM
    DirtTricks

Got the motor mount jig/template done today. Its not as easy as one would think. I'm glad I stayed in High School and did good in math!

So the motor mounts will bolt to the top of this 2 1/2" aluminum plate.....to the 8 bolts sticking straight up. The aluminum plates will bolt to inserts that I fiberglass into the hull later.
    The "jig" which is wing-nutted to the plates will be removed after its all set up, aligned and cured.

This is the angle of the driveline/crank, compared to the motor mounts....

This is how the cardboard templates I made will determine how high I set the aluminum plates in the hull....

Next step....mount spare jet pump (with no pump shaft, but with bearings) so that I can run an alignment shaft through the pump, up and through my motor mount jig. This will determine final set height of the aluminum plates.
    I may have to shim the pump slightly to get the motor high enough off the bottom of the hull?? we'll see...

Approximate location of motor mounts....

Last edited by RIDEH2O; 07-22-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks 2017 sponsors....

Reno KTM
    DirtTricks

Got some more stuff.
    I took beerdart's advice and bought a heat exchanger so I can keep the motor closed loop cooling.

And the pump showed up.

I might do triple cooling off of the pump. Two 1/2" to feed the heat exchanger and one 1/2" to the exhaust.
    The pump has 4 outputs! You can see the other 2, on the other side, through the vanes.
    Last edited by RIDEH2O; 07-22-2017 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks 2017 sponsors....

Reno KTM
    DirtTricks

Subscribed!
    SOLD! HONDA AQUATRAX 2 SEATER
    1987 JS440 SUPERSTOCK
    198? JS440 FREESTYLE
    1987 JS550 LIMITED
    SOLD AND MISSED VERY MUCH, 1994 WAVEBLASTER LIMITED
    WWW.HONDAOFWINTERHAVEN.COM
    1987 AM. WORLD CUP CHAMP
    Photobucket

Dammit
    I just pulled apart the old pump and the bearings were toast...they fell apart!

Anyone have some used bearings they just took out of a SX/SXR pump? They don't need to work, just need to be in one piece.
    Just good enough to guide an alignment rod....

Thanks 2017 sponsors....

Reno KTM
    DirtTricks

^^ found some bearings

Today, lined up the pump, intake grate, and the ride plate. Then marked and drilled pilot holes for all.

In this pic you can see just how far the cut-back is on the rear of the hull.
    Enough that I have to make special mounting holes in the ride plate.

Fingers crossed that this hull handles somewhere between an SXR and an SXi, playing in the waves??...

In this pic, Zack is doing a double "hang loose" on his way to 4 moto wins for the weekend...on the ol' Project HX.
    TC Watercraft Terry smiling' on Zack's right, Me (otherside of Zack) and Yamaboooeey #951, yelling for his slow moving holders...lol

Good times!

Thanks 2017 sponsors....

Reno KTM
    DirtTricks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information