• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JR IN JAX
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Jun 2003

Re: Do not use WSM aftermarket parts

Over the past 15 years [since I bought my first F12X in 2002] there have been numerous people on here who posted that their impellers came loose. None ever reported this kind of damage.
    This means that if the "planets and stars are all aligned" that an impeller unthreading during deceleration has enough forward thrust to push the coupler together hard enough to shear the motor mounts. Just remember acceleration tightens the impeller so the ski must have been at Mach 2 to have enough deceleration thrust to shear the motor mounts while chewing into the pump tunnel. There is no damage to the pump itself which would have suffered tremendous reverse thrust loading.

Guys, I can see your point but you certainly should see mine also.
    Last edited by JR IN JAX; 07-08-2017, 06:54 PM.
    Honda Pilot NAVI
    F150 4x4
    3 '06 F12Xs
    CR250
    2 CR80s
    1 XR100
    2 PW50s
    1 Vento Phantom 150
    1 Honda SHI 150
    '98 Allison Grandsport/Merc Racing 300 XS
    Jax. Fl.

"Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation"

"The automated aircraft of the future will have a crew of two; a pilot and a dog".
    The pilot is tasked with feeding the dog. The dog is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls.

"Any ship can be a minesweeper,,, once".

Comment

• Grumpy Old Guy
      • Dec 2003

Most of the time the skis are being ridden by their owners who would have known the difference but as you stated you werent so I tend to believe my senerio over yours.

I see people all the time that ignore pump issues till the ski stops moving......why didnt you stop using it when you heard the noise ?? Answer....it was still going so I kept going.

How do you get reverse loading when the impeller is still being driven when not attached to the pump ???

Everybody has a opinion.
      Last edited by Grumpy Old Guy; 07-08-2017, 07:09 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

• Chester
        • Feb 2002

The fact that the impeller came loose is a clue that it happened first. There is no way the broken mounts caused it to come loose.

Chester
        Speed is very expensive. How fast do you want to spend?

Stand up:
        98 SXi-Pro

Couches:

96 XP
        86 X2

Comment

• JR IN JAX
          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Grumpy Old Guy View Post
          Most of the time the skis are being ridden by their owners who would have known the difference but as you stated you werent so I tend to believe my senerio over yours.

I see people all the time that ignore pump issues till the ski stops moving......why didnt you stop using it when you heard the noise ?? Answer....it was still going so I kept going.

How do you get reverse loading when the impeller is still being driven when not attached to the pump ???

Everybody has a opinion.
          Of course the forward thrust from unthreading against the coupler/motor mounts would have to be from a push against something, which would be the pump bearings [as the assembly grew longer from unthreading of the impeller]. This thrust load would be the opposite of what the pump's thrust bearings were designed for. There is no pump damage just the edges curled on the impeller where it chewed into the pump tunnel.

Hopefully Jack Barsh can find time between building Customer's new STVs and Quartershots to repair my pump tunnel.
          Honda Pilot NAVI
          F150 4x4
          3 '06 F12Xs
          CR250
          2 CR80s
          1 XR100
          2 PW50s
          1 Vento Phantom 150
          1 Honda SHI 150
          Jax. Fl.

"Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation"

"The automated aircraft of the future will have a crew of two; a pilot and a dog".
          The pilot is tasked with feeding the dog. The dog is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls.

Comment

• Grumpy Old Guy
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Chester View Post
            The fact that the impeller came loose is a clue that it happened first. There is no way the broken mounts caused it to come loose.

Chester
            You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink.
            sigpic

Comment

• banjomaniac
              I dream skis
              • Jul 2009

There was an aquatrax Hull on ebay for $100, it was there last week. Might be a better alternative to find a hull?

Banjomaniac

Comment

• JR IN JAX
                • Jun 2003

I am pleased to say that I rebuilt the pump tunnel with epoxy/glass/mat and water tested it today. It ran great.
                Jack Barsh was too busy building new boats to do it. It was a lot of work/expense.
                Last edited by JR IN JAX; 07-29-2017, 08:11 PM.
                Honda Pilot NAVI
                F150 4x4
                3 '06 F12Xs
                CR250
                2 CR80s
                1 XR100
                2 PW50s
                1 Vento Phantom 150
                1 Honda SHI 150
                Jax. Fl.

Comment

• skidoc
                  I dream skis
                  • May 2012

Link to OEM Motor Mounts http://jetskisint.com/50201-hw1-682-...tor-mount.html
                  Jet Skis International
                  Brian Brocksmith
                  813-413-7544
                  http://jetskisint.com
                  Free Aquatrax Tech support
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jet-S...91943504243227

Comment

• JR IN JAX
                    • Jun 2003

Thanks, Brian for posting that. I would hate for anyone to go through the work and expense I went through.

I am glad the FRP in the tunnel is 3/4" thick or else the ski would have sank. The Honda is definitely an overbuilt hull. The new tunnel I built is slick as glass all of the way through the thrust plate so it should be more efficient. I also externally reinforced the plastic shoe. I hate doing FRP work!
                    Last edited by JR IN JAX; 08-04-2017, 02:47 PM.
                    Honda Pilot NAVI
                    F150 4x4
                    3 '06 F12Xs
                    CR250
                    2 CR80s
                    1 XR100
                    2 PW50s
                    1 Vento Phantom 150
                    1 Honda SHI 150
                    Jax. Fl.

Comment

Working...
                    X