Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    PWCToday Regular

Re: Big Red Racing x4 Hull w/951 Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Seadoodoc View Post
    Digital sol if I had any advice after two radical projects. Im paying dearly for my lack attention to pump area prep and ride plate assembly. Had I spent an equal time as I did assembling the motor to this area I wouldn't be we fixing things that damn near killed me. Blowing intake grate out of the bottom of a boat at 85 miles an hour as a reinforced my commitment to making under the boat is important as engine components

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
    Thanks I really appreciate all the info. I got the pump and shoe dropped off this morning and I gave them a modded shoe, modded 155 pump, stock shoe, stock 140mm pump all to reference how the oem unit seals to see if they can come up with something for the skat 148. I wont be wrenching again until next week but plan is

-remove all left over adhesive from ride plate/shoe & sponsons
    -grind down glue on top/bottom seal
    -start mocking up part installations such as setting motor in, steering.
    -once pump is back install pump and figure out the pipe+top deck fitment and make adjustments as needed
    -research materials to repair/fix holes, chips and cracks in hull/gel coat
    Last edited by digital sol; 08-02-2017 at 11:54 AM.

So are you not going to use the 95 xp set back aluminum spacer?

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Seadoodoc View Post
    So are you not going to use the 95 xp set back aluminum spacer?

I had not given it much thought. I was under the impression using the spacer requires longer drive shaft and throttle cable etc and is more prone to bending. Perhaps that was only while using a 787 shaft/motor.

Thinking about it if I used the spacer I would still need to have the inside diameter bored out but it may be easier to have the outside of the spacer cut/milled to fit the inside of the pump/wear ring area better on the skat.

Did you run this setup? I dont recall seeing you use that spacer but its been a hot minute since I read through your build.

I havnt called to check on the shop doing the pump milling it may have not been touched yet as I know they were backed up a little bit. I will check into this today and see what I can find. Either way the pump end of the skat will need to be modified to fit flush against the adapter or in my original case the pump shoe. May make it easier to remove the pump if I did adapt the spacer into the mix just have a few unknowns there or pro's/con's for going that route.

Quote Originally Posted by digital sol View Post
    I had not given it much thought. I was under the impression using the spacer requires longer drive shaft and throttle cable etc and is more prone to bending. Perhaps that was only while using a 787 shaft/motor.
    I guarantee you'll bend shafts with the spacer. There is a reason Seadoo dropped that design after only one year. There have been guys bending stock length shafts with 1100's.

I looked at utilizing the spacer on my X4 1100; and after mocking everything up, quickly decided against it.
    Last edited by Alter Ego Trip; 08-25-2017 at 11:49 AM.

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego Trip View Post
    I guarantee you'll bend shafts with the spacer. There is a reason Seadoo dropped that design after only one year. There have been guys bending stock length shafts with 1100's.

I looked at utilizing the spacer on my X4 1100; and after mocking everything up, quickly decided against it.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Updates are slow, I was in three different states three weekends in a row for bachelor parties and next month are the weddings. Pretty much just chipping away at removing chunks of glue everywhere and waiting on the pump/shoe to return from the machine shop so I can mock it all up. Once the glue is cleaned up I will sit the motor inside and mock up the front mount. I will most likely cut the existing mount off the plate, smoothen it over and mark where it needs to be re-welded and take it somewhere local to have it done. Just sounds easier/cleaner than most options. I have a spare stator plate I can use either way.
    Last edited by digital sol; 08-25-2017 at 02:43 PM.

For what its worth here is what I found. Matching up the 155mm to stock 787 ride shoe is the dumbest idea ever. No advantage. The 148mm is close. The 95 set back spacer gives a really nice chunk of aluminum to weld and grind on for smooth transistion....and adequate sealing surface. Driveshaft situation was an issue. Burned thru 5 before I figured out trick. First...there is a super hard to find aftermarket 95 XP 800 drive shaft from WSM that was about 20% thicker and diameter. My main culprit was spinning a motor at 6900 RPM with the rev limiter set to 8000. Drive shaft was never an issue until the boat came unhooked out of the water free revving high RPM. Once I drop the rev-limiter way down seems to be a non-issue. Grinding that outer lip off the extension allows the bigger pump to seat up tight. Boat handle so much better with that extended pump it's not even fair.

My suggestion is take all the parts in Bolton up on the bench and take a look at what's going on. It becomes painfully obvious what your limitations are

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information