Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Frequent Poster

2005 F12X sputtering/hesitating ?

Acquired a F12x and the first time I rode it it seemed fine but only took it a few laps around the lake (5-10 min.) because it was winter. just a little turbo lag and some cavitation which I here is common with these models. So I change the oil to full syn and honda filter and followed all the directions from the forums as to the oil change. Then it sat for about 4 months over last winter. Now I take it out and right off the bat it runs great around 6500 rpm 60mph for awhile. Then, it starts stumbling and acting like it's starving for fuel. at one point it won't get past 25mph. No warning lights are coming on... So I don't no what to do. new to 4-stroke and turbo. The machine is very clean and looks like it's never been worked on.

Question: What could be causing this?

I've heard about over filling oil and fouling plugs and such. Also I have no idea how long the plugs have been in it. they are the proper plugs. Has 124 hours.

Are there any obvious reasons for fuel starvation? filters and such?

I pulled the dipstick out, fully COLD and it didn't even register. Is that a problem? I seem to remember putting 4 or 4.5 gallons of full syn in the motor when I changed the oil and filter.

I looked at the inside bottom of the hull and it's clean with nothing leaked or spilled in it.

One thing - after sitting for awhile it was good then It seemed to get progressively worse. Then I loaded it

Please help!
    Last edited by trxxx250r; 05-16-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Re: 2005 F12X sputtering/hesitating ?

check forums for proper oil check procedure. If you're only hitting 25, could be turbo is stuck. Search freeing turbo on aquatrax on youtube. Takes about 10 minutes to free it up it that's whats going on.

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by aquatraxter View Post
    check forums for proper oil check procedure. If you're only hitting 25, could be turbo is stuck. Search freeing turbo on aquatrax on youtube. Takes about 10 minutes to free it up it that's whats going on.
    Thanks, aquatraxter! I will do that right now. I remember reading something about that. However, the fact that it was revving to 6500 when first run and sometimes in the middle of riding would that still suggest a stuck turbo?

Yeah, the fact that it was running and then dropped doesn't seem like a turbo issue. Search around regarding waste gate.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JR IN JAX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, the fact that it was running and then dropped doesn't seem like a turbo issue. Search around regarding waste gate.
    Sounds like you might be changing the exhaust manifold. They will rev fully on the trailer but will drop to 25 MPH when there is cooling water dumping into the turbo's turbine wheel. Eventually water will show up in the oil.
    Honda Pilot NAVI
    F150 4x4
    3 '06 F12Xs
    CR250
    2 CR80s
    1 XR100
    2 PW50s
    1 Vento Phantom 150
    1 Honda SHI 150
    '98 Allison Grandsport/Merc Racing 300 XS
    Jax. Fl.

"Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation"

"The automated aircraft of the future will have a crew of two; a pilot and a dog".
    The pilot is tasked with feeding the dog. The dog is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls.

"Any ship can be a minesweeper,,, once".

Frequent Poster

Thanks for all the input but it was nothing more than a high oil level and bad plugs. I was told by several sources that running too much oil will then affect the plugs fouling them and then the motor doesn't run right.

Well my mistake was when I changed the oil The ski looked level but I didn't look at the level of the actual motor and so when I filled the motor with oil the engine was sitting front high and therefore I over filled the oil by about half a quart over total full. I leveled the ski so the motor was perfectly level and I sucked out the extra oil to where the level was right in the middle of the dip stick. problem solved. Installed new plugs and it runs like a champ, flawless.

I pulled the pump to inspect and service and the impeller trailing edges were bent pretty good so I bought a solas prop for it and just got done installing that, can't wait to try it the stocker was cavitating bad! I will probably cut the inner three bars off the intake grate as well once I see how the pump works with the solas.

Next, I think I might go with the macsboost stage II kit for an extra 40 hoarse...!

Awesome! I've got 2-07f12x's 250 hours on each. I've got stage 2 on mine. Lot more midrange and hole shot. Love it.

Frequent Poster

Awesome! I've got 2-07f12x's 250 hours on each. I've got stage 2 on mine. Lot more midrange and hole shot. Love it.
    Mine has 127 hrs. How many hours have you put on with the stage II? Is it truly a bolt on as stated? Did you gain any top speed? are you running 93 or 91 octane? Unfortunately all we have in here in AZ is 91 which concerns me. I could go with mixing a little race gas or an octane boost but I'm not sure I want to go down that road...

I did mine in stages. I got the module first. (5min. install). Then I did solas prop and intake grate. (don't remember brand), then beginning of last season did intercooler. So I've got probably well over a 160 hours on module, and probably 100 hours on prop/intercooler. I noticed a little difference with module, prop/grate was very noticeable for almost eliminating turbo lag, and hook up in choppy water. Intercooler brought everything to life. Around here, 91 is common, however, I can get 94 within a 10 min. drive. (and it's worth the drive!) Playing around, I found that 94+ 17psi boost tube is working the best. It's been great. I went out yesterday with a buddy. He just got a new Seadoo Rxt, fully modded stage 3. Louder than hell. He's told it'll top out at close to 100mph. From idle, he'd hit it and the thing would literally hop out of the ****ing water. Impressive, yes. At the end of a 2.5 hour ride, I was down 1 bar. I was riding hard. He had to go easy for the most part because it has to be broken in. He burned over half a tank. Say what you want about Honda, I don't care if you can beat me or got 100 mph, you'll impress me when you aren't burning 5-8 gallons an hour.

Frequent Poster

Yeah, I hear 95 octane is where the stage II will shine and at 91 it doesn't do all that much... So, I will have to figure something reasonable out. Maybe a small mix of E-85 with the 91. I will have to call Macsboost with these questions. All I know is if I'm only looking at about 10 HP gain for $1200 it's not worth it. And, it's not worth it if I have to use race gas either, no way.

yeah the other thing about the RXT is the $18,000 price tag then probably another 5k in mods... Lol, no thanks.

I know what you mean about the ski jumping out of the water, I have a 97 seadoo SPX 120HP 386 lbs. It jumps out of the water out of the hole!

I was also pleasantly surprised my Honda got such good milage. When I had it out 2 days ago, I put 3 hours on it running hard and only dropped 2 bars. My 1100 2-stroke would've eaten nearly a tank and doesn't go nearly as fast.

Forgive my ignorance with the turbo but what do you mean about the boost tube? - ["I found that 94+ 17psi boost tube is working the best."] Do you change these out for lower or higher boost?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information