Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frequent Poster

97 gsx no electical power

I have a 97 gsx 787 that the starter would turn a half turn and stop then turn half turn and stop when you hit the starter button. It has sat for about 2 years since then. I went to go try to get it running again and had other issues. When i connected the DESS key it light up the dash and when i hit the starter button it buzzed and stopped. After the buzzing i do not have any power to my dash or anything. Its like there is no battery in the ski. I checked all fuses and they are good. I also jumped the starter solenoid to see if i could get starter to spin and i just got sparks and starter did nothing. I put the battery in my wave raider and it starts no prob so i think the battery is good.

I am about to take out starter to have it tested and clean the main ground coming from battery.

Anyone have anything else i should try to clean while its apart? Any ideas of why i have no power all the sudden? Was just connected to its own battery when trying to start.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Re: 97 gsx no electical power

Battery is toast , the buzzing is called by low voltage, if it is a new battery then the battery cables are toast.
    Get your Fat Dudes T-shirts right here PM me for details !

Frequent Poster

Thanks. The negative cable end was gray instead of brass on the motor bolt mount. I may put all new cables on it as i agree with you on them being an issue.

One thing that has me stumped is why all of the sudden my gauges don't work and nothing happens when i insert the key or press start button now.

It buzzed for a bit and shutoff power, no power to nothing when key in or out now.

Quote Originally Posted by jbridg View Post
    Thanks. The negative cable end was gray instead of brass on the motor bolt mount. I may put all new cables on it as i agree with you on them being an issue.

One thing that has me stumped is why all of the sudden my gauges don't work and nothing happens when i insert the key or press start button now.

It buzzed for a bit and shutoff power, no power to nothing when key in or out now.
    Last time I had this happen was on a 787 in a GTX, ground cable end where it attaches to the starter was toasted. It worked then it didn't, of course this happened right after I called the customer to come pick it up, you can do a quick check of the ground cable using a set of jumper cables, attach one end to the battery negative post the other to the engine, see what happens.

Frequent Poster

I took the starter off and hooked it up to a battery using jumper cables and it barely would spin and didn't kick the bendix out. I am guessing i need a new starter at the minimum. I took the starter apart and cleaned out all the carbon and it would still barely spin.

I cleaned the ground cable real good to where it was brass again and also what i thought was the coil grounds in the rear box. Is there any other grounds i need to clean?

Quote Originally Posted by jbridg View Post
    I took the starter off and hooked it up to a battery using jumper cables and it barely would spin and didn't kick the bendix out. I am guessing i need a new starter at the minimum. I took the starter apart and cleaned out all the carbon and it would still barely spin.

I cleaned the ground cable real good to where it was brass again and also what i thought was the coil grounds in the rear box. Is there any other grounds i need to clean?
    What battery are you checking the starter with ?

Frequent Poster

I tried the ski battery that i got out of my wave raider, my truck battery that was out of the truck and a lawn mower battery. All gave the same results

Ok just wanted to make sure you checked it with something besides just the battery in that ski.

Starter probably has a bad armature they will eat up voltage when its bad.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 05-17-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Frequent Poster

I was going to get a starter rebuild kit, do you recommend something else? I don't think the armature comes with the kit.

Nothing comes in the kit but brushes, the brush holder and end bushings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information