User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

1998 GTI guages not working.

Any ideas why guages won't work on this 98 GTI? I put this mpem in another ski and the guages worked fine on that ski. I also put a new stator in this ski with no luck still. I've checked fuses and connections and couldn't find anything. This ski is clean as a pin and I need to sell it but I want everything to work.
    Thanks,
    Casey

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Re: 1998 GTI guages not working.

Well upon further investigation I found a couple of cut/chewed wires in the hood behind the black cover. So now I have speed and oil light working. Still no fuel though. I'm leaning towards sending unit. Does anyone know how to test these components?

On these skis 2 things happen with the fuel gauge: the float in the fuel baffle with the magnets on stops floating (install new float) or the fuse on the baffle blows which disconnects the magnetic reed switches and circuitry which normally gives a 10-90ohm reading back to the gauge. Check with an ohmmeter across the baffle connector and if it reads 0 ohms then the fuse inside your baffle is your problem and you will have to remove the baffle from the tank and repair.

There is a cut a hole in your baffle repair for the fuse(post on this site) but I do not recommend it.

Since I still see grey fuel lines on your ski I would drain the tank - fix whatever is wrong with your fuel gauge --remove and replace the fuel lines, clean the selector switch and at least clean the carbs. If not the green goo from the metal to Tempo fuel line interfaces will get you into a top end rebuild after clogging something.
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

Quote Originally Posted by hafweigthr View Post
    On these skis 2 things happen with the fuel gauge: the float in the fuel baffle with the magnets on stops floating (install new float) or the fuse on the baffle blows which disconnects the magnetic reed switches and circuitry which normally gives a 10-90ohm reading back to the gauge. Check with an ohmmeter across the baffle connector and if it reads 0 ohms then the fuse inside your baffle is your problem and you will have to remove the baffle from the tank and repair.

There is a cut a hole in your baffle repair for the fuse(post on this site) but I do not recommend it.

Since I still see grey fuel lines on your ski I would drain the tank - fix whatever is wrong with your fuel gauge --remove and replace the fuel lines, clean the selector switch and at least clean the carbs. If not the green goo from the metal to Tempo fuel line interfaces will get you into a top end rebuild after clogging something.
    Thanks, very good info. I did narrow it down to the float, but before I got it replaced someone bought the ski. I wish Tapatalk would've notified me when u posted, I'm just seeing this. I'll retain this info for future builds though.

Thread Information