Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

Love my new GP1800, but it's no Honda

Just thought I would share a bit about my new ski and how it compares to my '07 F-12X GPScape.

As you can see below, I added a few mods to my Honda - MACSboost module and his I/C. The mods added significant mid hit to acceleration and 3 to 5 MPH to the top end (conditions dependent) - all at a good value too. The Honda is a fun and wet ride and is a blast to slide around. And, for what I paid ($5260 for a 47 hour ski), it remains a trouble free value.

The new ski is a red GP1800 that I have yet to add Riva stage 1 mods to (re-flash and breather tube and filter). While I love the new ski, I have to admit the build quality does not approach my Honda. Things like plastic panel fit, footwell panel fit, and handlebar fit and feel is where the Honda shines. I must admit I was surprised the Yamaha was not on par with the Honda. However, the GP has brutal acceleration, and with the override feature disabled, top end performance should rival the accretion up to upper 60's MPH - topping out at 80 MPH. Ride wise, the GP corners so well it is hard to stay on the thing. I was not able to get it to slide out. It is a wet ride, but not quite as wet as my Honda. The faster you go the better it rides - it takes chop like the Honda and handles boat wake better. Of course, it is wider and longer. I like the power trim and the neutral, reverse and brake features. Lastly, it is a gas hog big time. In casual riding, I blew through 13 gallons (premium) in 2.7 hours. Looks wise, the Honda and Yamaha are very different, but I do appreciate the flowing lines of the Honda - especially given how old the design is.
    Chris

GP1800 1.jpg
    2017 Yamaha GP 1800 (Riva stage one re-flash and intake, Candoo Pro GPS)
    2007 Honda F-12X GPScape w/ MACSBoost Plug-in Module and Intercooler
    2013 Cobalt 232 w/ 350 Mag and Bravo 3

PWCToday Regular

Re: Love my new GP1800, but it's no Honda

I'm been eyeballing them GP1800. and I own a R-12x

PWCToday Newbie

nice, i like those gp1800s too. Thanks for the info, was wondering how it would compare to my f12

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by polg0003 View Post
    was wondering how it would compare to my f12
    With approx $800 of Riva mods (re-flash and intake), 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds and a true 80 MPH. I still love my F-12X, but the difference is night and day. It is somewhere between brutal and scary.
    Chris

I still reckon you,can throw an F12X around easier than these bigger skis.
    Of course that's just for fun.......

But 5 hours out of tank for fun riding is good value
    F12X 2007 pretty well stock
    Beat up landrover D1 to tow it
    UPDATE: 1 Small staffy dog for company
    Honda XR 200 80s vintage
    Hamilton J83 jetboat with clevo 351 V8
    9 foot inflatable achilles !!!!

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by twoburgers View Post
    With approx $800 of Riva mods (re-flash and intake), 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds and a true 80 MPH. I still love my F-12X, but the difference is night and day. It is somewhere between brutal and scary.
    Chris
    I took both skis out today and wanted to share some real numbers after the re-flash and intake/power filter. The GP1800 will do 75 MPH true with a full tank (18.5 gal) and me (264 LBS) in 90 degree temps and at 250 MSL. With a third of a tank, I gained a little over 1 MPH. The Honda shows 65 on the dash - or maybe 62 MPH true. After riding the GP, my F-12X felt sluggish. It is not sluggish, but the GP is just that insane. The F-12X has a lower driver position, has very smooth turning qualities compared to the GP. The GP has lighter trigger pull, which I like. The GP dash is of poor design - lots of wasted space. The F-12X has a smooth power band, making it a good learner. Lastly, the F-12X is fun to spin out.
    Just thought I would share a bit more after riding the two skis back to back.

PWCToday Regular

Glad for the updates. Keep em coming as I am still itching to get a GP1800. I always was a Yamaha guy but just getting in to the PWC world I had a great buy on the Honda R-12x.

If I remember right, it sounds like the comparison between the f12x and the f15x. If not, I'd sure like to here a good comparison. I love to come across a great deal on a F15x and like to hear how it compares.
    03 Honda F12X (my favorite) Red of course
    Jim's Alpha Boost kit, H2O ECU Modulator, Large Intercooler, Solas intake grate and Impeller

Used to have:
    98 GP760, 97 GTX Sea Doo, 97 GP1200, 02 Honda F12X, 2-03 Honda F12X, 05 SeaDoo GTX Supercharged

Need to have:
    F15X

PWCToday Guru

How is the ride on the GP1800 in the ocean chop? I owned the Honda turbo f12x for 3 years and then jumped to a Yamaha FX HO Cruiser (2012 year model) for the next 4.5 years. Looking to get something different. I ride 90% ocean and 10% river. Typical ride would be from Long Beach to Catalina. I sad on the GP1800. I am no racer but enjoy the power when is needed.

From what I remember the Honda was a really wet ride LOL!!
    Last edited by tractng; 06-03-2017 at 04:26 PM.

We have two F15Xs and wont be getting rid of them any time soon. We also have a new GP1800R and are making a few parts. The honda is very smooth. With the counterbalancers it is the smoothest. Something you can only appreciate on long rides. The GP has some nasty NVH at 30mph or so. Agreed, The handlebars, buttons and dash have a very cheap feel and look.

The fit and finish is no contest between the two, honda 100%.

Cruising the honda can't be beat on fuel mileage.

Performance wise, the yamaha is insane. The stock impeller is a disappointment, cavitation city.

Top speed does not seem to be what was rumored early on, but it's no slouch. I am running a GPS speedo that we built in house, so it is easy to keep tabs on actual performance.
    MACSBOOST!!! The Honda PWC Performance Experts. www.MacsBOOST.com
    Home of the MACSBOOST Module and the Fastest Honda PWC on the planet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqufmQ_8bxU
    Be our friend on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MACSBO...e/233077830901

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information