User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

04 Kawasaki STX 12F Water comes out exhaust manifold passage - Normal?

Hi Everyone

I removed the exhaust manifold on my STX 12F ski and supplied water to the cooling supply hose connection on the manifold to fill it with water to precisely track down two pin hole leaks I was noticing on the underside of the manifold. Found them. In the process of running water through the exhaust manifold, two other things happened. Water came out of the exhaust ports where they mount to the head. This is normal, I know. BUT, water also came out the exhaust passage exit from the manifold where it normally connects to the water box. Reviewing the cooling water flow diagram in the service manual for this engine, it doesn't indicate water flowing through the exhaust passage of the manifold. It looks like all the water that is supplied to the manifold by the two connected hoses is supposed to flow to the head. The concern I have is that, in addition to the holes I found between the cooling passage of the manifold and the outside, I also may have corrosion holes between the cooling passage and the exhaust passage, which might continue to open up and ultimately starve the head of need cooling water. Is the water coming out the tail of the manifold supposed to do that by design?

Thanks!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

Re: 04 Kawasaki STX 12F Water comes out exhaust manifold passage - Normal?

"""just guessing """ , i dont think so ,
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the response. By this weekend, I'll know for sure because at this point I'm pretty confident water is not supposed to leak into the cooling passages like this and I found a replacement manifold on ebay for a very good price so I went ahead and grabbed it before some else did. It will be here in a few days and I'm going to run the water through it and see what happens. I'll post the results.

Top Dog

IF like sxr 1500 then there is a gasket there.yours could have holes in it.

PWCToday Newbie

The definitive answer: No, water should absolutely NOT come out of a 12F/15F exhaust manifold passage. The replacement came in, I hooked it up to the water supply and the only water that came out of it was through the ports that mate to the head, which is precisely the way cooling flow is indicated in the service manual diagram.

Here's what the defective manifold was doing:

IMG_20170427_173713.jpg

I took the old manifold apart and set the lower section upright and put the water to it to see if I could spot an internal leak. It didn't take to long to find it:

IMG_20170427_175230.jpg

IMG_20170427_175245.jpg

IMG_20170427_175254.jpg

I'm very lucky to have caught this problem. In another month or so, these holes could have opened up to the point where most of the cooling water would run down the exhaust passage rather than go to the head as it supposed to do. I have recently started to have problems with the engine idling properly and I'm wondering if its an excessive backpressure problem from too much water volume in the exhaust. We will know soon enough.

Dave
    Last edited by deksea; 04-28-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Top Dog

good find and information.

PWCToday Newbie

FYI, Idling issue has now disappeared. Evidently all that extra water pooling in the bottom of the exhaust manifold was creating a lot of backpressure and idling issues that the DFI computer could not manage. The ski idles fine now.

Good information here, thanks for sharing! I replaced this part in 2012 on my 08 STX15F, primarily because my blue coupler blew out. I had had the fuel tank recall done in 2010 which required the engine being pulled and when the dealer re-installed everything, they never fully seated the waterbox on the pipe and it corroded & put more pressure on the coupling.

Anyway, they reason for this post is while you are going over the cooling system, check out the upper cooling nipple on the engine output cover. This nipple on mine is starting to corrode away and I'm on the fence to replace the whole part which requires moving the engine back or just drilling and tapping the cover for a new brass nipple. What I find amusing is that Kawasaki in the last couple of years makes this part removable and discontinued the old one piece part. Pictures below are from my model year & current model year.

Take a look at yours & good luck!

Kawa Cooling.jpgCooling Newer.jpg
    Last edited by CJ River Rider; 05-07-2017 at 08:40 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

When I first got this ski, a corroded nipple on the cover was the first thing I had to deal with . I drilled and tapped the opening and installed a nylon fitting. The drilling and tapping is a bit tricky. And it usually winds up restricting flow a little. It worked pretty good but I was always concerned it might blow out. A year later my head gasket blew and I pulled the engine to mill the head and replace the gasket. While I had the engine pulled I replaced the cover. I also replaced the oil cooler because it had corroded through. I got this ski for free from a friend, but I knew I would have some issues because the ski had never been flushed in the 11 years before it was given to me. Everything was clogged and/or rusted through. And yes, I noticed they have made those nipples replaceable now. Well at least Kawasaki is smart enough to improve their design as they go.
    Last edited by deksea; 05-08-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Thread Information