Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

94 seadoo xp 657x electrical swap from 95 seadoo 95

Well don't know if anybody had done this but I pat myself on the back for this one. So bought the 94 seadoo xp with title , traded 2 chainsaw and 200 bucks not a bad deal. Carbs needed rebuilt figured no big deal have this thing in the water quick I already have the carb kits. Well things went ok with the motor would run on the hose well but didn't have that quick fire up and would have to hold full throttle to start. Hopefully somebody's interested in this post lol then will contine with my hassle hopefully this could help some people to with frustrating electrical problems

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Re: 94 seadoo xp 657x electrical swap from 95 seadoo 95

You can swap the ignitions but you have to swap all of it, stator and the grey electrical box, the coils and stator are different and the 94 has a separate CDI box.
    Get your Fat Dudes T-shirts right here PM me for details !

PWCToday Newbie

Was getting to that just seeing if anyone was interested in this. New here very first post as you can see but I have a good amount of knowledge of motors and these little 657x and 717 motors. Here's where my problems started. Motor had 150 and 150 of compression before leaving for the river battery almost died trying to start when I got there it ran a little rough but I was thinking all the oil that dumps in while holding full throttle trying to start. Anyway was out jumped a couple of waves and after the first couple hit engine bogged down and shut off had to paddle all the way back to shore and walk it back to the boat ramp. Was not a happy camper after this happened. So brought the ski home pulled the carbs to double check again and heard something odd rolling the engine over by hand. So I thought let me pull the plugs to see what they look like (brand new mind you) pto side was good color mag was burnt with electrode gone! I figured we'll now I'm in for it. Pulled the head and found the ugly IMG_7186.JPGIMG_7187.JPG
    Last edited by Seadooskidoo; 04-20-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Swimming this time of year in PA. Hope you had a wetsuit. That doesn't look too bad did one of the rings break out? I may have some parts to get you going on the cheap. It looks like you have some spark issues on that side possibly. Have you trimmed the wires to make sure you have good contact?
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

PWCToday Newbie

Didn't have a wet suit on have to invest in one it was 83 last weekend thats only reason why I was out and trying to figure out kinks. But don't need any parts at he moment, but thanks though man really appreciate it. And the rings were fine what happened was the piston hit the spark plug and put a nice dent in it but didn't go through. So I dug a little bit deeper in the engine and heard like roller bearings rolling around inside when I split the case the front mag seal had a whole bunch of burnt plastic in it and the front 2 bearings I could literally pull off the crank with the help of a little flatheadIMG_7196.JPG.

PWCToday Newbie

That being said I figured I price out a new crank and pistons meanwhile found a local guy who rebuilds them and wanted 500 plus my old motor as a core and in exchange would hand me a new rebuild one I figured he'll thats a bargain being sbt wants almost 800. New crank and pistons and juga were 6 something around there atleast. So I went to collect to some cash traded in the rc collection for the new motor IMG_7204.JPG

PWCToday Newbie

Now my main goal was to completely clean this thing spotless shy of splitting the hull lol ��
    So I ripped out everything and went on a cleaning spree. My buddy says I had OCD about every little speck of dirt or grime that wasn't coming out. But here was the dirty girl before I startedIMG_7200.JPG IMG_7201.JPG

And here's the after. Spray nine marine and a little pressure washer work wondersIMG_7202.JPGIMG_7203.JPG

Looks great nice work. $500. is a steal for a new one ---I wonder what that means? New crank + top end = $300. +$300 = $600. without labor.

Front seal issue explains the look of your piston.
    Think Big!!

Port to port grooves and excessive RV clearance will cause (other post) major issues with runability and will also cause backfiring in some cases.
    Think Big!!

PWCToday Newbie

Yeah man appreciate the responses been on the other posts and fixing the ski. happy to say I purchased a new rv cover from sbt and that fixed my clearence issue that was over .030 of clearence new cover brought it right back to .010-.012 and there already is a new rv itself which came with new motor. I readjust both carbs to pop off at 16-17 and it fired right up and seemed to have much better throttle response then before. Going to the river soon to water test on the trailer. The backfiring was happening because the guy and I swapped stators for my 5 wire design but gave me his 4 wire flywheel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information