Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SXi Pro Rebuild & Upgrade

Just what the world needs! Another build thread! Right?!! No? Well here goes anyway!

98 SXi Pro been out of service for a long time. Engine was supposedly "just rebuilt" in the 97 ZXi donor and swapped in SXi electronics minus flywheel about 6 years ago but it never had spark with the SXi electrics.

Electronics: I've sent my E Box & Stator off to Jet Ski Solutions to have them both restored, should get them back sometime soon. I bought what I believe is the correct flywheel on eBay. Visually it has different numbers from the known ZXi flywheel so lets hope its the right one.
    If it works I will take it off to have it lightened sometime down the road. I'm not really interested in the total loss system.

I've heard the timing advance plate isn't safe on the SXi Pro Cdi? Can anyone verify this?

Pump: Seems good, so that means I will remove and check it out and probably find something horribly wrong that needs to be fixed...

Engine: Was said to be just rebuilt, well if it was someone didn't do a good job. Cylinder head has signs of debris in cylinder 2, water jackets had white powder in them, most likely corrosion residue and not drugs but still worth mentioning. Pistons say .5 and the bores have wear lines. But one cylinder is missing the bottom of it's sleeve. Im not gonna spend the money to resleeve and bore a #29 cylinder.

Oh yeah, Crank seems smooth and tight so there's one good thing! New seals, the bearings will just be cleaned and assembly oiled.

So I found a set of cylinders on eBay, circle casting mark with no numbers I believe that's a #20 small pin SX cylinder with good ports for low end. I cant see any cracks and the seller says there is none. Ill keep my fingers crossed until it gets here. My neighbor has access to a boring bar or machine, whatever they're called. He says get some pistons so he can measure and bore to the correct size. I'd like to get this cylinder freestyle ported but that will just have to wait.
    Currently waiting until this cylinder arrives so I can inspect it better and measure before ordering pistons.

Intake & Exhaust: I'm gonna use the CDK2 carbs and manifold from the ZXi until I feel I've outgrown them. I will get some flame arrestors & adapters for them. The reeds are stock but petals are new I'll use them for now. Will retain chokes for now.
    The ski has a Coffman sizzler pipe I believe, with some kind of inline waterbox silencer? I'm told it has no low end power and it's loud. My memory agrees with both of these. I'm in the process of trying to piece together the Factory Pipe Limited system for my ski with a stock waterbox or another baffled one that's not SUPER loud. Well they're getting harder to find and priority #1 is getting it back together with what I've got now.

Hull & Other: The turf job from who even knows when is holding up pretty good.
    I powerwashed the outside and the bilge (inside) and Im planning on painting it all fresh and white again on the inside with oil & gas resistant bilge paint.
    I'd like to get the handlepole sandblasted and powdercoated open to color suggestions?...
    Needs a new bilge pump, it had a 500 gph auto with the 3 position off-auto-on switch next to the choke knob I liked that I think I'll do it that way again opposed to the handlebar switch.
    I need to replace the rubber flap on the scupper valve but I'd also like a latch or some way to manually keep it closed if it's gonna be sitting at a dock for a little while or I'm not doing anything crazy that I'd need it. And ideas?

Probably forgot stuff but it's a start.

I ride Lakes and I'm after low end power for buoy racing fun and jumping wakes
    2017 GP1800
    2000 GP1200R
    1998 SXi Pro
    91 Super Jet

2017 GP1800
    2000 GP1200R
    1998 SXi Pro
    91 Super Jet

Re: SXi Pro Rebuild & Upgrade

20170402_194935.jpg
    It sank while sitting on dry land and the stator cover was loose
    2017 GP1800
    2000 GP1200R
    1998 SXi Pro
    91 Super Jet

Almost done gathering parts

20170419_124750.jpg
    Got my cylinders, they are in serviceable condition no cracks or bad gouges and measuring ghetto style with the 80.5 piston rings they appear to be original 80.0 mm stock bore. I ordered up some wiseco 81.0 pistons to fill the holes, should be here in a few days and then ill have my friend bore and hone it.
    Got a new ocean pro head on eBay, it said the domes are 25cc and premium pump gas safe.
    Also just sealed the deal on a Factory Pipe 750 Limited system, was gonna wait but one popped up and if I didn't snatch it someone else would have.
    2017 GP1800
    2000 GP1200R
    1998 SXi Pro
    91 Super Jet

20170428_041530.jpg
    20170428_041539.jpg
    Cylinder head showed up. Now waiting on pistons, gaskets, factory pipe & electronics
    2017 GP1800
    2000 GP1200R
    1998 SXi Pro
    91 Super Jet

Pistons, gaskets & new driveshaft seal are in, electronics should arrive today and factory pipe tomorrow. Painted the inside fresh white with interlux bilgekote, was running parts thru a parts cleaner yesterday when I cleaned away oil I saw some damage to cylinder 2 on the upper case and a lot of damage to the lower case with shrapnel embedded and a small crack in the bottom... New cases coming now.
    20170429_212642.jpg
    20170430_173154.jpg
    20170430_173210.jpg
    2017 GP1800
    2000 GP1200R
    1998 SXi Pro
    91 Super Jet

PWCToday Newbie

Subbed

IIRC, You'll need to relieve the bottom of the sleeves on the sp cylinider to run with a bp crank.. Check with Newmiller machine (mcn6 on here).. I would OHM out that stator.. Good luck. J.
    2000 750 Sxi Pro. Factory Limited pipe, 40mm mikuni's, 13/18 SXR blade, Kommander head, Newmiller Freestyle ported #22 cylinder, lightened flywheel, aquavane & Worx ride plate, trued hull, AC handlepole. 51.8 mph

1995 750 Sxi. stock

1993 550 Sx. PJS intake & 15.5 skat.

How much do you want for the coffmans set up? I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgin Air View Post
    IIRC, You'll need to relieve the bottom of the sleeves on the sp cylinider to run with a bp crank.. Check with Newmiller machine (mcn6 on here).. I would OHM out that stator.. Good luck. J.
    Thank you for that I'll contact him. I'll check that stator too. I'm hoping for what I paid JSS it's all good
    2017 GP1800
    2000 GP1200R
    1998 SXi Pro
    91 Super Jet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information