Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

587 help - engine races out of control

Took the '92 Sea Doo out of winter storage and of course the white 587 with dual carbs would not start. Performed carburetor rebuilds, which is not my first time, and now the engine starts but races past maximum rpm out of control.

Spoke with SBT, they said it's either an air leak after the carbs or the needle valves are bad. Pulled the carbs, replaced needle valves, checked for air leaks. Engine still racing past max RPM out of control.

I adjusted the slow speed adjustment screw to zero, still races out of control.

Any suggestions?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home bills86e's Avatar

Re: 587 help - engine races out of control

Yes...air leak. Check carb base gaskets. You could spray mists of carb cleaner at intake manifold while engine running, and if rpm raises, you found the leak.
    Also check for cracked intake. Definatly too much air, not enough fuel, runnaway.

Bills86e
    Last edited by bills86e; 03-19-2017 at 11:56 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by bills86e View Post
    Yes...air leak. Check carb base gaskets. You could spray mists of carb cleaner at intake manifold while engine running, and if rpm raises, you found the leak.
    Also check for cracked intake. Definatly too much air, not enough fuel, runnaway.

Bills86e
    I can't run the engine because it races past max RPM the moment it fires. I just turned off the fuel valve, started and ran several times until the fuel was used up. Sprayed starting fluid over carbs and intake mani and it didn't fire. So I'm assuming there's no leak.

These carbs are pretty basic, anything inside carb that would provide the race away?

Larry

Frequent Poster

Is that '92 SeaDoo a 2 cycle? Starting fluid is not a good thing for 2 strokes. Having no oil will scuff things up very quickly. It is not even really very good for any engine.

Check to be sure the throttle plates are in sync. Make sure that one is not holding the other one open.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Chester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old school 587 View Post
    Took the '92 Sea Doo out of winter storage and of course the white 587 with dual carbs would not start. Performed carburetor rebuilds, which is not my first time, and now the engine starts but races past maximum rpm out of control.

Spoke with SBT, they said it's either an air leak after the carbs or the needle valves are bad. Pulled the carbs, replaced needle valves, checked for air leaks. Engine still racing past max RPM out of control.

I adjusted the slow speed adjustment screw to zero, still races out of control.

Any suggestions?
    The low speed adjusters must be set at 1 1/4 turns out from seated. Turning them all the way in will to zero make it too lean. Did you try adjusting the idle screw? Check the throttle cable for slack, maybe you adjusted it wrong and it's holding the thottle open.

Chester
    Speed is very expensive. How fast do you want to spend?

Stand up:
    98 SXi-Pro

Couches:

96 XP
    86 X2

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    The low speed adjusters must be set at 1 1/4 turns out from seated. Turning them all the way in will to zero make it too lean. Did you try adjusting the idle screw? Check the throttle cable for slack, maybe you adjusted it wrong and it's holding the thottle open.

Chester
    Yes, I had the low speed set to 1 1/4 out and adjusted the idle screw. Still no effect.

I have since disassembled both carbs and found the low and fast jets semi plugged. I re-assembled, and installed - ski ran for a moment as it should then maxed out RPM uncontrollably again. Disassembled carbs again, low and high speed jets were plugged again which I believe is causing the low fuel problem.

I have the carbs soaking (again) in carb cleaner over night.

I'm starting to wonder if I have a fuel problem. I did remove all the old fuel prior to first run. Filled the tank with premium fuel, Sta-bil, and mostly Sea Doo lube but had to put a few ounces of regular 2-stroke oil in the gas mixture because I ran out of Sea Doo lube. The Sea Doo lube is from last season, but I don't think it goes bad that fast.

I've examined the intake manifold and it look good. I have not been able to locate any air leaks so far.

Anyone have any additional thoughts?
    Last edited by old school 587; 03-19-2017 at 08:15 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Is that '92 SeaDoo a 2 cycle? Starting fluid is not a good thing for 2 strokes. Having no oil will scuff things up very quickly. It is not even really very good for any engine.

Check to be sure the throttle plates are in sync. Make sure that one is not holding the other one open.
    Yes, it's a two stroke. I'm aware starting fluid is bad for most engines, however, it was all I had to check for the air leaks.

Did check the throttle plates for sync, they are good.

Crank seals
    94' Kawi TS 650cc
    93' Kawi TS, in progress

PWCToday Newbie

So I finally figured out what the problem was. As I mentioned, the low and high speed jets were becoming plugged as the engine raced out of control. Spoke with SBT again and they suggested the fuel lines might be causing the problems as they are known to "gum up" after time.

I purchased new fuel lines and replaced all lines on the boat and it now runs as new. I'll be taking her to the water tomorrow for my pre-season run, I'm sure she'll be fine now.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, it really helped.

LG

Thread Information