User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Tigershark 1100 crankshaft

SBT, can you rebuild my Tigershark 1100 crankshaft? I only see the 1000 listed on your website. My understanding is the only difference is the rods (longer stroke) between the 1000 and 1100.
    04' Shorelander Double Trailer
    98' Sea Doo SPX Mint
    96' Sea Doo HX Mint
    95' Sea Doo XP800 Mint
    95' Sea Doo XP800 - Rescue project (almost done)
    99' Sea Doo XPL - rescue (project on hold)
    97' Tigershark Daytona 1000 - Another rescue project (see videos below)
    My Jet Ski videos below.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...wmp0jqpvLFpgmZ

PWCToday Guru

Re: Tigershark 1100 crankshaft

I would be uncomfortable sending SBT a Tigershark crankshaft. They might be good with other brands, but I do not think they do enough of them to know what they are doing or to have the correct parts on hand. They assembled the 770 engine I bought from them using incorrect parts on the crank, which led to engine failure after the warranty expired.

Even though the parts were obviously incorrect, they would not even discuss the issue in a meaningfull manner.

The only advantage you have is you will be able to see and inspect the crank as soon as you get it. I was unable to disassemble and inspect the engine I bought or the warranty would have been void.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

Do you have pictures of the "incorrect parts" they installed? What incorrect parts did they use that caused your engine to fail?

I have never bought a SBT engine but have used their cranks and pistons in the past and have had nothing but great things to say about them. I have checked every crank we have bought from them and the tolerances have been tighter than ones coming from the "better" rebuilders.
    04' Shorelander Double Trailer
    98' Sea Doo SPX Mint
    96' Sea Doo HX Mint
    95' Sea Doo XP800 Mint
    95' Sea Doo XP800 - Rescue project (almost done)
    99' Sea Doo XPL - rescue (project on hold)
    97' Tigershark Daytona 1000 - Another rescue project (see videos below)
    My Jet Ski videos below.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...wmp0jqpvLFpgmZ

PWCToday Guru

I fully documented the situation very carefully. It is all here. http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=467547

In addition, I contacted SBT prior to making this public to give them a chance to respond properly. Their response never addressed the fact that they had used incorrect part. The response, simply paraphrased here;

"The engine is out of warranty, it is unfair to blame SBT as there are many things than can cause engine failure."

I certainly understand that mistakes can happen. Their failure to intelligently discuss the situation, even though the engine was out of warranty is unacceptable.

Many people here have good luck with them. I have used their parts to rebuild another engine and had no problems. But if you do some research, you will find others have issues also...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98482
    http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...-of-sbt-motors

Some people like them. If they had actually addressed the issue properly, instead of providing such generic response, I would feel differently.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

SBT does not do this crankshaft because of the limited number of them in the field, and because we do not have a good source for the connecting rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan87951 View Post
    SBT, can you rebuild my Tigershark 1100 crankshaft? I only see the 1000 listed on your website. My understanding is the only difference is the rods (longer stroke) between the 1000 and 1100.

Thread Information