pxctoday

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48
  1. #41
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Chester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,084

    Re: Has it been asked? How to become a pwc/boat mechanic

    Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    ...The money in working on skis is buying and flipping, them, buy way low, sell as high as you can , you will work on way less skis and deal with way less customers and you are always working on your ski, you are the customer until the ski is sold, (so now you may ask do I still work on skis), the answer is no I never did work on skis, I fix skis, there are plenty of other people just working on them.
    I love that part about my job. I get a lot of machines for free or less than what the trailer is worth alone. One customer gave me a 99 GP1200 after he blew it up. I rebuilt it with all OEM parts and a year later, the same guy bought back from me for $4,000. He then gave me his 07 Sea-Doo 3D that he just sank. I got that running for a few hundred bucks and then sold it to someone else for $3,500. Two years later the guy with the GP1200 bought a new 4-stroke and gave me the GP1200 again with only 43 hours since the rebuild. I put on a new seat cover and did a few minor repairs and sold it again for another $3,500. Another customer blew up his 05 Ultra 150 and gave it to me. Another one had an 07 RXT that I took the engine apart to diagnose and estimate the cost to rebuild. It was too much for him so he just gave it to me for my labour. I had to take it apart anyway for me to rebuild it so, I more or less got it for free. I can go on.

    Chester
    Last edited by Chester; 12-05-2017 at 01:52 AM.
    Speed is very expensive. How fast do you want to spend?

    Stand up:
    98 SXi-Pro

    Couches:

    96 XP
    86 X2

  2. #42
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    8,257

    Re: Has it been asked? How to become a pwc/boat mechanic

    Quote Originally Posted by AC 46 View Post
    That's too high a#
    i was being conservative !
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

    modded X2 650

    stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

    Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....


    Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

  3. #43
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home AC 46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SE CT
    Posts
    7,921

    Re: Has it been asked? How to become a pwc/boat mechanic

    Haaa. I allways worked on my bikes motorbikes ect.When I got my first yz 125 I promptly blew it up.Luckily a Family friend was staying at our house.He took me under his wing and showed me the ropes.Been working in the industry ever since.Its not eazy but very interesting.
    R.I.P. Super Sic

  4. #44
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Al-ugh-bam-ugh
    Posts
    27,300

    Re: Has it been asked? How to become a pwc/boat mechanic

    One more thing, no one person here knows everything about everything but there are lots of people that know a lot about a particular ski or brand. There is or at least there was a lot of information here if you take the time to look. We live in an information age, if you know how to use it the internet is a wonderful tool, if you are having a problem with a ski , atv, utv.motorcycle , whatever the chances are good someone else has had the same problem and posted the info here, all you have to do is know how to look.
    Get your Fat Dudes T-shirts right here PM me for details !

  5. #45
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    8,257

    Re: Has it been asked? How to become a pwc/boat mechanic

    Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    One more thing, no one person here knows everything about everything but there are lots of people that know a lot about a particular ski or brand. There is or at least there was a lot of information here if you take the time to look. We live in an information age, if you know how to use it the internet is a wonderful tool, if you are having a problem with a ski , atv, utv.motorcycle , whatever the chances are good someone else has had the same problem and posted the info here, all you have to do is know how to look.
    and this is a cause of a lot of misinformation, people using " Google search then answer/ post resolutions to technical issues ,there are a few people here on the forum that post solutions to problems or issues that they have never experienced first hand , this is because it is so easy to look like an expurt when using a key board , as i have posted many times recently , there is only a hand full of forum users that actually have hands on experience with more than one model or type of ski , very few if any build threads with new information , just copies of other builds.
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

    modded X2 650

    stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

    Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....


    Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

  6. #46
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Al-ugh-bam-ugh
    Posts
    27,300

    Re: Has it been asked? How to become a pwc/boat mechanic

    Pretty simple really, if the shoe fits wear it , if it doesn't throw it back in the closet !
    I have hands on experience on many makes and models as I do this for a living, even at that I learn something new every day, if you don't you are not applying yourself.

    Now as far as the copies of builds go, I understand your frustration but how many 300SX builds would there be now if I hadn't posted this
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=89828 back in 2006, everyone has to start somewhere.

    BTW back in 2006, I was told this build was stupid and it would never work, funny how that worked out isn't it ?
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 12-05-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    Get your Fat Dudes T-shirts right here PM me for details !

  7. #47
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Al-ugh-bam-ugh
    Posts
    27,300

    Re: Has it been asked? How to become a pwc/boat mechanic

    Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    I love that part about my job. I get a lot of machines for free or less than what the trailer is worth alone. One customer gave me a 99 GP1200 after he blew it up. I rebuilt it with all OEM parts and a year later, the same guy bought back from me for $4,000. He then gave me his 07 Sea-Doo 3D that he just sank. I got that running for a few hundred bucks and then sold it to someone else for $3,500. Two years later the guy with the GP1200 bought a new 4-stroke and gave me the GP1200 again with only 43 hours since the rebuild. I put on a new seat cover and did a few minor repairs and sold it again for another $3,500. Another customer blew up his 05 Ultra 150 and gave it to me. Another one had an 07 RXT that I took the engine apart to diagnose and estimate the cost to rebuild. It was too much for him so he just gave it to me for my labour. I had to take it apart anyway for me to rebuild it so, I more or less got it for free. I can go on.

    Chester
    I have been given many skis over the years , others have been bought at very low prices, I got a 2005 RXP and a GTX 4TEC this Summer for $750.00 both run and needed very minor repairs, I also bought a VX1100 that had body damage for $500.00 and I gave gave me a very clean GTX RFI for free, in all these instances the customers wanted to keep their trailers and I obliged them.

    The RXP I rode most of the Summer I am repairing body damage on the front and I put a seat cover on it, that's about it, the GTX 4TEC is getting a seat cover new graphics and new footwell pads, the GTX RFI is getting a new engine and a new seat cover, by Spring I should have ten units ready to roll, it's going to be a very good year !
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 12-06-2017 at 04:43 PM.
    Get your Fat Dudes T-shirts right here PM me for details !

  8. #48
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Chester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,084

    Re: Has it been asked? How to become a pwc/boat mechanic

    This knows his stuff!


    Chester
    Last edited by Chester; 12-10-2017 at 05:33 AM.
    Speed is very expensive. How fast do you want to spend?

    Stand up:
    98 SXi-Pro

    Couches:

    96 XP
    86 X2

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0